B&W 601,602 VS Mordaunt-Short MS914

Bronze Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 14
Just bought my Rega P3 today. Don't have speakers yet. Choices are limited here in the boondocks. Looking at B&W 601S3 $450; 602S3=$600; or Mordaunt-Short-MS914;

If I decide to replace my reciever. The B&W dealer recomends a Rotel RA-1062 integrated amp and the Rega dealer offers a Rotel RA-1062.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 15
Or Quad11L are available to me too. From what I read they are better than the other 2 choices.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1953
Its all about preferences, really. I personally like the Quads the best, but thats just me. I've heard them called dull and boring before, and I can see why, but don't agree.

It all depends on what you're driving them with and/or plan on driving them with.

The Rega P3 is a great deck. Did you buy from a local dealer? If so, did you listen to it in an all Rega system? If you like what the P3 is doing and are contemplating upgrading the rest of the system, you should make it a point to hear an all Rega system. The sum is greater than the parts. Excellent synergy in a relatively price-friendly budget.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1410
Kevin, if you like a bit more bass extension, I would recommend the Quad 12L. You may be interested in this review of both: http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/quad_11_12_e.html

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 16
Thanks guys. Great reviews, very tempting. The B&Ws are local but the Quads would be shipped to me from afar by a dealer where I got most of my stuff for many years. http://www.hawthornestereo.com/. That is where I ordered the Rega P3 unseen/unheard. I am taking his word on everything. He must agree with Stu as he recommends a Rega Brio3 int-amp for this set up. He says the Quad is better than the Mord... I have not asked if he has the 12L, nor have I found any online. There are several pairs of 11L on eBay US pretty cheap. That makes the price difference much greater vs new 12L.
My local B&W man has Rotel int-amps at the same price, which I had been leaning toward. Appreciate your thoughts.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 18
Oops, the 12L are US $1050. plus freight. That would be the 1st time I broke the $1000 envelope for a pair.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1414
Kevin, I suggest you hunt around. I paid $799AUD for my 12L's, the rrp was $1599AUD. The L series here in Aus is being sold at reduced prices at a few dealers as it is being superceded by the L2 series.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 19
M.R.: "...I suggest you hunt around. I paid..."
Good idea M.R. That is less than what my dealer wants for the 11L!
By hunting, that means online since I am trapped in the boondocks!
I see you have the Apollo cd. I have been coveting that one.
Sorry, what is the rrp?
Thanks, kc

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1415
Kevin, rrp - recommended retail price.

Keep in mind I'm talking Aussie dollars - for example the Apollo comes in under a grand in the States and it's $1500 AUD here downunder.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 20
Thanks M.R., I have a handy converter of all things built right into my Mac System X. I have bought and sold a lot of used and very little new until now.

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 17
I'd take the B&W's over the Mordants and the Quads over both. As you said, lots of good cheap candidates on ebay and also Audiogon.com:

http://www.audiogon.com/

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 21
Thanks. That is a good link!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 18
Yah, if you use the search feature with "Quad" you'll find some good deals. Just make sure the dealer is reputable, as always on the net.

The B&W's are excellent for the price point, but judging by your electronics it'd be worth it to spend a bit more and get the Quads.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 22
I have decided to wait and save $ for the Quad 12. That gives me time to watch that audiogon and other bargain sites. I may waste a little money (US$225 PSB Alpha B1) now on some cheap interim speakers since they won't affect the recording process. Plus I got Grado headphones with the Rega so I can play while the boss sleeps :-)
That audiogon site show some nice speakers already sold. Tease! I see some on eBay but cannot register. Some electronic glitch.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 19
Still one nice pair of Quad 12's for sale at Audiogon...don't show up as sold yet:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1186965044

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7899
Atta boy, Frank!

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 26
Thanks. Those would be great. The freight is US $117 surface, which seems high. For now I am stuck trying to join. They sent me an email with my username and password but they don't recognize it when I try to sign in. Well that gives me time to think.
On shipping, I was quoted $40 to send those PSB from http://www.cadencebuilding.com/cadence/northcountryaudio.html Seems too big a difference. I realize the Quads are bigger but not 3X.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7909
It's the insured value, Kevin.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 20
If ebay and Audiogon both won't let you sign in, then perhaps your browser isn't accepting their cookies, for whatever reason.

Hmmm, adding $117 takes away a good percentage of the savings...though I suppose you'd still have to pay that on top of full price if you get them shipped new from elsewhere.

Maybe local B&W's are the way to go after all?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 27
I went into the system cookies and changed the setting to "always accept cookies" instead of "accept...from sites you go to". I see that there were eBay cookeis on the list. That list is LONG!
Firewall? virus protection? cookies? All a mystery to me.
Thanks guys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7917
'always accept cookies'.
The girl guides have your number, pal.
knock knock

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 31
Wow, I finally got into Audiogon and ebay both today without doing anything on my end.

Meanwhile I have decided to wait to go to the US for better speakers. Now I am going to start another post on cheap speakers.

Omg, a teenaged boy did knock on my door in middle of the night. Nuck are you psychic? No, I did not let him in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7931
Too scary for the girl guides at night, they contract out the night shift to teenaged boys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7932
KC, what piqued your interest into waiting for the CONUS?

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 32
CONUS? You mean continental US?
I decided that to invest in really good speakers better than what I have I should audition them next time I visit Seattle. Lots there. For now I just need monitors for the LP to CD project. For that I am watching for quality cheap ones on audiogon, ebay, north country, amazon etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7935
Yes, Seattle should offer just about anything you want to audition.
I havn't hared of North Country, is that something for the frozen folks?
Speakers and snowmobiles? kidding, KC

Could you describe your lp to cd project?
Maybe start a thread in phono?
A friend asked me about it, and in fact I said I would find out here.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 33
And I can haul the speakers back with me saving on USP cost. The Quad 11L on ebay are $104 to ship and PSB Alpha B1 from http://www.cadencebuilding.com/cadence/northcountryaudio.html are $61 to ship to me. Cadence Magazine is a great resource for finding jazz music. The mag does reviews and the store has a huge catalog and their North Country (upstate NY) has audio equip.

I posted on the Vinyl under phono when I was shopping for the turntable and went with your advice and ordered the Rega P3. We can move over to phono for further discussion on that.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 58
The Quad 11L arrived and are great! Now my main set. Comparing to the Rogers L5/35A. They have enough bass to not need the sub which will stay with the L5 in the LP recording shop. While the B&W are good, I feel these were the right choice for my budget.
Thanks for the help with the choices. The wife did not have a stroke when the UPS guy arrived at dinner.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1427
Congrats Kevin. Enjoy the Quads - I do.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 22
LOL. Couldn't wait to go down in person? I wouldn't be able to either. Congrats on the Quads!

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 60
I decided to go with a bargain used pair of 11L and look at more expensive speakers later. Now that I have them I see that it sometime be the Castles that get replaced, not these.
As for the argument if speakers should be pretty as well as sound good I feel that it doesn't hurt. Sort of like if your spouse is kind and good looking, it doesn't detract if they are rich too. To get a cheap pair of Quads I had to go for used piano black. I love wood. In spite of the black box I like em better than the Castle which is beautiful wood. (No offense to those who like that). Surprisingly, my wife does like them as well as the fact that I got them for half price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7999
Hey Kevin, if your lovely wife likes them too, it is a perfect deal.
Enjoy the music!

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 545
Hey Kev.
Im also possibly in the market for some used quad 11ls in perfect condition. Whether I go with gloss maple or gloss rosewood is a decision to be made.

I have to ask what integrated amps have you used with the quads before? I have a cambridge audio 540a and I'm wondering if it will let down the speakers?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thank You

JJ

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 61
Sorry J. J, I don't know much! I have only tested the Quads on my old Onix int-amp. It is an amp not seen too often. Not tube. It is a narrow rectangle and had a tuner to match, but the guy who sold it to me used still has the tuner, wouldn't give it up. He upgraded to Naim. I really don't know how good it is but it sounds good to me.

Now the question came up looking at the manual, do you recommend the B-wiring as shown? That is 2 wires to each speaker?
The owners manual says it gives more headroom and clarity. I guess if they say so, I will have to try it in a few days.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us