Help/Opinions New Receiver connections

Username: Audiophobe

Post Number: 2
Can I get some ideas how to set up my Onkyo 605? My 8 (plus) year old Yamaha died and I replaced it with this receiver yesterday. I haven't bought/configured a receiver for that many years so I'm a little confused.
My previous setup was:
-Cable/DVR to TV (Samsung 6187) and Audio from TV to Reciever
-HD DVD to TV and Audio from DVD to Receiever

This setup was very comfortable for everyone in the family because if someone wanted the surround sound "experience" you could turn on the receiever, turn down the TV sound and listen while being able to adjust the volume either with the cable box or the receiever. If you were just casually watching there was no need for the receiver (to be powered on) and you could watch TV only and adjust volume with the TV or the cable box.

The recommended set up now is:
-Cable and DVD to receiver via HDMI in and HDMI out to TV so that the volume is controlled only by the receiever and no "casual" listening with TV only with independant volume control and the receiever must be on.

So my question is, can I have something similar to my old setup while taking advantage of the features of this reciever?
I'd REALLY prefer not to have the receiever on when used in "casual" mode because my kids will definitley forget to turn it off and this receiever gets HOT, and, its more complicated for them to use.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us