Polk Audio Vs. Boston

Username: Wildman10387

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 3
Just wondering what would be a better choice for music listening, the Boston CR series or the Polk Rti series both bookshelfs.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10773

Pick your poison.

Why those two? There must be better to choose from.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7806
Lots more.
What kind of dorm room do you have?
Do you listen to chamber music?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 718
As Jan said, why limit yourself to these two speakers unless you have already gone through the audition process.

Can you provide some more info, such as style of music, size of room, and what you are powering them with.

Speakers and amp-receiver combos are not quite so cut and dry that you can pick up a pair of speakers, and a seemingly decent receiver and expect them to sound good.

Onkyo receivers have been known to be grainy, and if you pair that with a speaker from a brand like Klipsch, you have a recepie for ear fatigue.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1131
The CR77 are very good if you can find them for about $200/pr., they become slightly less attractive as the price goes up towards the $300 category. However, I would say they're very competitive with many models in the sub-$400 category.

I've not heard those Polks.

Username: Wildman10387

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 4
I am looking at purchasing a HK 340 or 445 receiver. I think that it will also be powering a Boston PV 500 sub. In terms of room size it would be a medium room. Music would mostly consist of rock. I am REALLY looking for "lively highs" on music such as acoustic rock. (Jose Gonzalez, Ray LaMontange etc) Also how are Yamaha receivers esp. the HTR series?

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 26
My friend who use to work at the big box store, Future shop, had all polk RTi series all around on a H/K 645 receiver. The H/K receiver I liked, the polks I didn't. He has Paradigm Monitor Series all around now with the same H/K receiver and it sounds a thousand times better. The sound is so much warmer and dark compared to the bright sound the H/K and polks provided. I would go Boston, or look into the Paradigm Atom V5 bookies. They will be in the same price range. Cheers.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 719
are you classifying "lively highs" as bright highs or clear highs, there is a definable difference.

Bright highs are usually defined as "peaky", which stand out. Clear highs are just that, clear, but the tweeter need not make its voice heard above all else.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 509
Gavin, you need to change your supplier, as "clear highs" is counterintuitive and where for "bright highs" you need to change prescriptions per se.

Oops, wrong forum, off-topic, disregard...sorry I guess I got confused by your post.

I suppose the word "tweeter" should have been a tip off as to your intentions.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 720
LMAO!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us