Expert opinion; Quads,Totems,Rega

Username: Goochy

NJ

Post Number: 2
I am looking for opinions on that would go well with my Cambridge Azur 540R receiver. After reading numerous posts on this message board, I have narrowed it down (I think) to these which are in my price range ...

Quad 21l or 22L
Rega R5
Totem Arro or Staff
Polk LSI 15

Of course I will try to audition them all before purchase but all of these speakers my not be available at nearby dealers and/or the dealer may not have the same or similar receiver so I'm thinking a few expert opinions/recommendations will help.

Thanks,

Jim

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10770

The Polk doesn't belong in that company.

NJ

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jan ..

I auditioned the Polk's at Tweeters and they did sound sort of harsh. I forgot to mention, my music preferences these days are mostly blugrass and country, but I do also enjoy classical music and classic rock; and I don't normally listen at high volume levels. The room is about 14X28 and is furnished but is relatively bright w/ hardwood floors. Even though the receiver is an A/V receiver, I plan to use it for 2 channel music. HT audio is not a concern (low WAF mostly).

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10772

Then why did you buy a HT receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7807
Jim, out of the bunch(minus one), I would consider the Arrow.
It will do country well, not all new country mind you(they wrecked it) and bluegrass as well.
They carry their own weight pretty well, do not count on the floor as much(consider a throw rug/carpet?

Any of the three will suffice, any of the three deserve, and will please you, with proper power.

The Polk might suit the receiver best, the 'showroom' you saw was, well...

How bout the sub?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5069
If you have a particularly lively room and will not be addressing it due to other considerations I would probably look at the Quads. As Jan stated the Polks don't belong in that group and the room is too large for the Arro's (especially with your amp). The Staff may work but some of the magic of the Arro is lost in that speaker. I very much like my Rega R5's but your room doesn't sound like one that suits them. The R5's are particularly good at reproducing acoustic guitar which is right up your alley.

To summarize, the Quads in your room as is and either the Quads or R5's if you intend to modify the room.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7811
Guy's none of the above fit the 540 receiver. A 640, maybe, just.
The speakers are going to have to be sensitive for the room and the Cambridge. The 540 seems here to stay.How about some Monitor Audio 6's to fill the space@91db?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5070
The Rega's are an easy load and the Cambridge would drive them just fine. It's more about synergy than sensitivity with the R5's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7813
Like buying a pack of gum, Art.
Oh yeah, and one of those, spearmint.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 501
Like buying a pack of gum, Art.
Oh yeah, and one of those, spearmint.

Wtf Nuck?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5071
Alright then Mr Nuck...I know you're out east and all but it ain't Miller time already is it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7824
I dunno how 3 lines of that post made it there, I shall try to rewrite it.
Art, the synergy that you enjoy so much in your room with the Rega might not work so well with alternative power sources, the Cambridge in particular.
I like the Cambridge parts OK, but the 640 is head and shoulders above the 540.
Now the Arro's will, and can, deliver to a country/accurate listener, as compared to a rock listener, I focused the response to Jim's recent focus.
You can get a pack of gum for freshness, but does it make your mouth water?

This had better make it through.

Johnny Cash on the tubes.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 298
Oh boy.....fess up, Nuck

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5072
The demand on an amp is much more with Arro's than the Rega's which is my point. Yes the 640 is better than the 540, and so too is the 840 better than the 640 and so on. However all of that doesn't change the fact that the 540 is not up to driving the Arro's anywhere let alone a room as large and lively as Jim's. The Rega's though an easier load may also be a bit forward in that room. That's why my recommendation is for the Quad's....although I recommend listening to the R5's as well.

In the end Jim may find he prefers something else altogether. Keep us posted Jim.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7828
Uhh, guy's, remember it is a 80w Cambridge receiver that we are dealing with here, Jim has the unit already, are we on the same page?

NJ

Post Number: 4
Guys,

Thanks for all the input. The 540R receiver has 100w RMS when driving 2 channel stereo. The 640 puts out 120w RMS in stereo so I don't a large gap here. The Integrated is a differnt story where the 540 only has 60w.

Anyway, I had the chance to audition a few speakers today which were

AAD E-44
AAD Ribbon
Totem Arro
Mark & Daniel Ruby
Rega 3
Rega 5
Quad 12L

All were very nice, the Ruby's were very impressive. The Rega's had a rich sound. The Arro's were pretty good too. I didn't care for the Quad. The AAD E-44 had a good sound as did the AAD Ribbon but I had expected it to brighter than it was. This whole business is fun but difficult at the same time. If I had to choose right now I'd take the R5's and probably the Ruby's would be next although they are not much to look at.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5073
Jim's receiver will not do respectable job running the Totem's Nuck, that's what page I'm on.

Apparently the Quad's didn't impress but I would wonder if it was because they didn't jump off the shelf. Quad's are not a forward speaker that's why I think they would fit your room.

The Rega's probably do acoustic strings better than any of them but they will sound different in a showroom than at home. Best if you can arrange to audition at home.

I have the R5's and access to them all, so you know which one I like. But do keep in mind that it's about the whole system. Which brings up the next order of business. What are you using for a source?

NJ

Post Number: 5
Art,

My preference was for a floorstander so maybe I didn't give the 12L Quads a fair listen.
I would like to hear some 21L or 22L Quads if I can find a dealer nearby. I have to say the Ruby's were pretty amazing with a lot of depth, air, and detail. I listened to a recording of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons and it seem like you were almost there at the concert hall. They were also the most expensive of the lot.

My source is nothing spectactular; Poineer Elite DV46.

My quest resumes tommorow, I think this retailer I plan on visiting has Naim which look interesting.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5074
I haven't heard the Ruby's so I can't comment on them but it sounds like you were impressed and this is after all about you ears and preferences.

Naim is very interesting and my favorite solid state electronics. The entry level Naim integrated and cd player mate very well with R5's then again so does the entry level Rega integrated and cd player .

Obviously your whole system will benefit from a step up in source. A good dedicated cd player will make a very big difference in your sound.

Relative to the Quads, many folks consider them to be laid back and dare I say boring (I am certainly not one of those). Long term listening especially to their floordstanders (for your preference) will reveal a speaker that is easy on the ears for those long evenings of listening...no fatigue, just music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7836
jim, you might want to look a that source before jumping on speakers.
The Rega Apollo is available, and quite frankly, the best cdp under 1200$. Or more.
I recently put the Apollo head to head with a Classe transport/outboard dac, and the Apollo faired very well.
change from a nickel.

jim, you would be well served to reconsider your source.

NJ

Post Number: 6
Everyone,

After hearing the R5's again in a different room, I took the plunge and bought them. The only catch is that they had to be ordered so I won't have them for about another week. What's next? ..a new CDP or wire? If I keep coming to this website it might be. I fear I am sliding down a slippery slope!!! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 307
See you at the bottom Jim. Source next.

Congrat's. Gonna be a long week.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5080
Congrats Jim, you have much good listening ahead!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5082
Hey Jim I forgot to ask what finish you bought?

NJ

Post Number: 7
Thanks all ..

Stryvn: Didn't Tom Petty sing "The waiting is the hardest part" ..??

Art: The finish is the Rosenut ...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10778

"The finish is the Rosenut ... "

I went to school with her.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5083
I schooled her...!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7848
Ahh my Finnish Rosenut. Seems she has been around.

Congrats, Jim. The speakers will serve you well and look fabulous to boot!
Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us