Copy LP to CD on HiFi not computer

Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 3
The time has come to get rid of a few thousand LPs. Storage and moving is just too much problem. First I need to buy a turntable then decide if replacing any of my old components would improve the quality of the recorded cds. It is difficult to know what to replace. I would be willing to buy a better amp or more expensive table if it would be a significant difference.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7819
Kevin, invest in a new Rega P3, with a Dynavector 10X5 cart.
Use it and sell it, best investment that I can think of.
Other than a really good record cleaner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7820
Geez, I will buy it when you are done with it.

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 4
Thanks, I like the idea of Rega because that is my only choice from a known/trusted dealor. Other brands whould have to be online.
I guess you figure the Int. amp is not a big factor? Mine is old but sounds ok. My cdr is pretty cheap but also sounds ok. I just wonder how good home made cds are. Everyone seems to burn them on computers now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7827
Kevin, the end result will have to run through the pc, like it or not.
Ensure highest bit rates, and give it a try!

The Rega setup really is the best for the money.
I kid you not.

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 6
"...will have to run through the pc..."
I don't understand that? I make a cd on the Hi Fi and play it on the HiFi. Where does the PC come in?
Thanks kc

Gold Member

Post Number: 7830
Kevin, please expand on your recording kit. I have no experience with a hi-fi cd-r.

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 7
I have the CDR Pionier model PDR 609. There is a long discussion on this forum of the similar 509. I have not tried it yet but think it is just like making a cassette recording. I made hundreds of them 'back in the day'. Gave them all away w/the old Nakamichi cassette deck.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 495
Everything else aside I may be interested in your collection. Send me a personal email should you care to pursue disposing of your LPs.

I also think going lossless into your PC may be an avenue to consider. I have purchased a product that will accept my RCAs from my monitor out of my pre-amp into my PC for the purpose of burning LPs to CD with retaining as much of the "analog" as possible.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7833
Mike, perhaps you could copy a few records for Kevin.
Postage is a bite to Alaska.
Kevin, why the hell do you live there?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 299
Kevin, your lp's will not find a more loving, nurturing home than Mike's.

I'm sending him my kids.

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 8
I will let you know when I get ahead on the LPs. Mostly jazz and blues.
My dad went to Alaska for construction when I was 15ys. I liked the natural beauty. Then came job opportunities so even the last 16 years being a snow bird, I always follow the geese back for the summer feast. I just ordered the Rega 3 from my nearest dealor. Demo model for $200 off. Dealor thinks my Onix int amp will be good for this job. He never pushes me into buying more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7840
Excellent, Kevin! Which cart are you going to have?(with Stryvn's offspring)?

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 9
My HiFi guys (http://www.hawthornestereo.com/) in Seattle where I winter, have a Rega's Elys2 cart for $200 with the table. He says my ADS reciever is ok. Not being very knowledgeable I usually take their word. I trade in and change kits a lot.
As for computers, I am like the person who can drive but doesn't know how to check the oil. Would rather leave it that way.

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 10
I asked him for the Dynavector 10X5 cart but he can't get one.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 34
Back in the olden days, I used to record LPs onto cassette and reel to reel. It was simple and you listened as you recorded. Not like now when they burn cds fast. I figure I wouldn't record it if I didn't want to listen to it. I will have to learn to use the Pionier 609 cd recorder. From what I read here it should be easy enough.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7944
I suppose that once in a while, the stuff does what it should do.

Hoping good luck for you, KC.

Post the details as you go along?
Puter program, AD solution, etc.?

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 36
Now the turntable + spkrs are in the mail/ups so I will start when they arrive. I have the cdr and reciever. Unloading the LPs after 17 yrs in storage! Next post will be on how to clean them. 'Back in the day' I simply washed them like dishes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7945
Kevin, are you going to use a discwasher or a nitty gritty?

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 38
I used to have a disc washer with a wooden base. For the serious cleaning I used the sink, no kidding. I am starting over and have no ideas yet. What do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7947
Kevin, I ain't got the vinyl yet. Yet.
I had the new P3 in mind, with a dynavector 10X5, but after the daughters wedding.

The other guys will stop by, I am looking forward to this thread, and I think you are are great guy for this forum.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 40
I haven't figured out how to sneek the new gear into the house. If I haul a big bunch of LPs from storage and make a huge mess, while she is at work, she may not notice the new stuff in the mess. Unfortunately because of the super good deal I got on the quads 11L I had to settle for piano black to get them half price. They are going to stick out like a sore thumb. Oh well, I am not scared.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 41
er, sneak

Gold Member

Post Number: 7950
I am pulling the big guns out, Kevin.
Tell the missus that it is a gift for your fav grandchild, and you are going to will the speaks to the child.
Slightly used, of course.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 44
I'll give it a try.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us