Surround Sound Receiver for under $200

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 32
I'm in the market for a sub $200 receiver. Are there any must buy receivers out there right now? I can't get my mind off of the only Yamaha receiver that Radio Shack has for sale right now for $169.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_1

Post Number: 12
do not buy, you are waisting your money, save and buy one at $700. Daniel

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 87
daniel, can you explain why he would be waisting his money? I dont think he would be.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-A-V-Receiver-VSX-516-K/sem/rpsm/oid/14842 6/catOid/-12949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

check the pioneer out, oh and what speakers will you be running?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Right now I have a set of Polk R300 in the front that I used to replace some of my old JVC speakers that came in a HTIB. The rest of the speakers are JVC speakers that I plan to replace with Polk speakers except the subwoofer which is good enough for me. Probably another pair of R300s or R150s for the rear and a Polk CSR for a center channel. As far as the rear channel if I do 6.1 I may just use the JVC center channel or nothing at all till I break down for another Polk speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 171
The Pioneer is not bad. Maybe look at some of the Yamaha entry level receivers. Stay away from the Sony, IMO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Which will sound better and put out more power the Pionneer or the Yamaha HTR-5940 ($169.99 from Radio Shack)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Which will sound better and put out more power the Pionneer or the Yamaha HTR-5940 ($169.99 from Radio Shack)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Which will sound better and put out more power the Pionneer or the Yamaha HTR-5940 169.97 from Radio Shack

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 88
IMO the pioneer sounds better than yamaha.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_1

Post Number: 13
too me, you will find the sound is not in high quality manner so to say. I have tried to have before years a receiver under $400 and the sound was unpleasant - I did not understand it until I brought higher level receiver and speaker. At that days, I used to have Yamaha. So my recomanadation is to save money and buy a good one with good speakers. Just my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
"IMO the pioneer sounds better than yamaha."'

I figure you are right especially if I combine the 6th and 7th speakers channels into the front speakers giving them twice the power. They sound good on my old JVC receiver RX 6008v but it seems as though they may want a bit more power...oh and as of today I have the Polk CSR center channel to go with my R300s now so everything is sounding a lot better but I think I need the R150s for the rear to balance it all out.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7810
Stang, the rears can wait if you need to put money elsewhere.
"which will put out more power?
Harmon Kardon.
"sound better?"
You tell me.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 516
Go with the Harmon Kardon avr 147
http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&c at=REC&prod=AVR%20147&sType=C

ITs just an over all better product then the pioneer.

Hey Nuck its HarmAn Kardon

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7849
I stand corrected and hungover.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 502
Well at least you stand

SJ, Costco has a HK 145 in the price range. Excellent return policy to boot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us