Paradigm Studio 60v4

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 294
I've been enjoying my Studio 60's for about 6 months now. Pulled the grilles off the other day and noticed small tears in the mids around the perimeter. I don't know how the tears got there other than to say that I noticed small creases at the perimeter of the connective material the day I brought them home. The tears are all originating at these creases.

I called the dealer today and he said he'd order new ones and call me to arrange repairs. I don't want to be in the business of hauling my speakers around town every 6 months to replace drivers. I suppose this once ain't gonna kill me...but I ain't happy.

Anybody else seen this? Have I done something to cause this?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 716
This is the first time I have heard of this occuring, but will do some hunting around to be sure. I have for the most part been a fan of the Paradigm studio series, and would like to know if this would happen to me if I purchased a pair down the road.

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
I'll let you know how this shakes out, Gavin. Gonna try to take some pics too.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7798
Call you to arrange repairs is warranty, yes?
I would look very closely at the replacement parts for similar appearance of creases.

Did the cracks not affect the sound, or is that why you removed the grilles?

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
Yes, warranty. I will be looking very closely at the new ones.

I took the grilles off originally for an extended showing after the BOC concert late last week. (I think they sound better without the grilles off.) Sound quality problems is not the reason I originally took the grilles off. I have not been doing a lot of listening lately...after I noticed the tears I threw in some reference material (The Final Cut) and listened more intently. They seemed a bit harsh, or off, in the mids/highs.

Pic #1 shows tear.
Pic #2 shows badly torn driver
Pic #3 shows crease in connecting material where tears originate.

(Sheesh, after I look at these pictures, the damage looks a LOT worse than I originally stated. Now I'm getting mad)

UploadUploadUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
No. It's not harsh. it's a crackle I hear.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 29
Wow, I have never seen anything like that before. I think once they fix that, you will never have that problem again. *knock on wood*. The Studio 60's are my favorite Paradigm Speaker for the price. I know a few guys that have them and have never had that problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7843
Never seen THAT before.
Did Andre borrow them?
Good luck, man.
Ay Carumba!

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 184
Mechanical damage. Your next pair will be fine most likely.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7855
Hi again, Marc.
Very strange issue with those Paradigms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Sorry about the triple photos side by side screwing up the format here, guys!

I wonder what caused these tears?!? I SURE hope it's a one time freak thing!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7861
It's cool Stryvn.
Are you picking up the drivers or driving the speaks to the dealer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7862
You said that you saw the wrinkles when new, something that most people would not pay attention to(including me).
Very odd, especially in pairs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
That's what concerns me, Nuck. A defect in one - ok. A defect in BOTH? Maybe an entire bad day at the plant? Johnny Midrange was off his game? Hungover.

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
And I don't know how this is gonna shake out with the repair. I don't want to be hauling both cabinets to the dealer but?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7866
Pick up the drivers on the Harley, pop them in yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 504
Both speakers same damage?

Hey, at least Paradigm cannot be faulted for not providing a "matched" pair.

LOL.

Ok, sorry, that was cold.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7869
Like a 40th Birthday card from your x-wife.

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
Yep. Both speaks - same thing. Matching pair.

(Sheesh, with friends like these my enemies can stay home)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1951
Maybe I'm off base here, but what's the temperature like in your room? Does it get excessively hot during the day, then relatively cold at night?

If they were wrinkled when you first got them, maybe the expanding and contracting from temperature change got the best of them?

On the bright side, at least you're getting new drivers. Hopefully its an isolated incident.

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
Temperature controlled room, Stu. 73 degrees and 48% humid in the summer. 66 - 68 degrees in the winter. I like the way you think though.

Lord I hope this is isolated!

Welcome back! Hope you enjoyed your honeymoon.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1952
Thanks Stryvn. Puerto Vallarta, Mexico was very relaxing. I was eyeing the golf courses all week, but didn't give in. I figured I had to spend the entire week with my wife for one vacation.

The city itself left a little to be desired, but the resort - The Westin - was perfect. I can't recommend it highly enough. Great accomadations, food, and service. We only ventured off the resort once, for half a day, and wondered why we didn't stay put.

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
After nearly a month of dik dancing I have somewhat new mid drivers. Dealer blamed delays on Paradigm. Says Paradigm only sent out one driver. I thought it was all dealer giving me grief until I contacted Paradigm. Paradigm was real flippant when I contacted them this morning. I rode over to dealer this afternoon with my bad drivers and asked him to give me the one Paradigm sent and one from the pair sitting on the floor. Which he did.

Dealer and two other gents there said they ain't never seen anything like the damage on mine unless "they've been touched". I have 3 small kids here, but the grills stay on - ALWAYS. And I do not believe you could duplicate these tears if you tried.

The new drivers look much better. No creases at the perimeter like the originals had and the connective material even has a deeper recess to it. They sound GREAT. The old ones had torn way beyond what the photos above show and were completely unlistenable. Is that a word?

Knocking on wood and hoping for the best with the new ones. They sound fantastic but I will not tolerate another episode like this one. Next time we sell and look at other speaks. I was not real impresssed with the dealer or Paradigm. A month to get this resolved is a bit long, IMO. Especially after what I paid for them.

Just my experience with Paradigm.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5119
Sometimes it takes awhile to get things solved with dealers. However the attitude was unacceptable. It's not like you wanted damaged speakers...too bad.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8062
Thank goodness we didn't have to strong arm the guy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
Put the temporary tattoos away, Nuck. Maybe we can burn another village just for the fun of it?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1988
Great line Stryvn.

If you need back up, count me in. My tattoo's permanent.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8065
Agreed, LOL!

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 574
styvn,

You should have taken both drivers out of the pair the dealer had. better chance of matched. Oh wait, you weren't all that pleased with the last matched pair. Never mind.

Nuck,

Tattoo shop on the agenda for Dallas now or you letting Stu one up you?

I already have one but "MAC" blue light meters might look good.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1993
What's going on in Dallas?

Or am I better off not knowing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8073
Stu, at the rate it's going, maybe I am better off not knowing.

I am dropping by Mike's place in a few weeks to listen to some music on various stereos.
And drink, eat steak, drink, waste some 9mm rounds, drink, and apparantly consider a Bugs Bunny tattoo.
And it's still early here in LA.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 580
ROTFLMAO

Please stop, don't scare Larry away. Stu you are welcome to join. Really!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8076
Stu, the scary part is that he means it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
I like the Mac meters tattoo, Mike. But me thinks perhaps more fitting for Nuck is just his name tattooed across the bicep. Misspelled of course.

Nuch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8080
Nice. Real nice.
On my pipe, it would be a small font as well.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1996
Rumor had it that the soccer team I work with was going to play in Dallas this fall. They decided to play elsewhere.

My basketball team is rumored to as well, but there's no official schedule yet. We played at A&M last year, which got us some pretty good exposure in an area that the coaches are looking to recruit from. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8093
Stu, are you trainer for each of the school's teams?

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 582
styvn,

There are worse ways we can get the tattoo artist to misspell Nuck..... Let's see, how's that song go by Country Joe McDonald and the Fish at Woodstock (I think it was them could be wrong though)?

Give me an "F", give me a "U"...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8110

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1997
Nuck,

My primary responsibilities are Men's Soccer and Men's Basketball. I go wherever they go.

Just when I was starting to comnplain about Basketball's travel schedule, they announced we're going to Nassau, Bahamas. I guess I should hold off on the complaints for a little while longer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8120
I hope you are dealing with that pain as best as possible, Stu.

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
Suck it up and do what ya gotta do, Stu. It's a paycheck, man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
Guess what fellas...

I've destroyed mid #3. Same problem on one of the replacements. The one that was taken out of the floor model is coming up with the same symptoms. All 3 drivers that have torn were manufactured in 0803. The driver that I haven't destroyed (yet) was manufactured in 0407.

How long do I (and the dealer) have to do this dance before someone looks for another partner?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5229
I'd ask for another partner now. If Paradigm does not want to build quality anymore they can do business with someone else!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8288
Stryvn, have you played them louder than we did last week?
WTF?
Everything was peachey then?

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
Nuck, You heard 'em as loud as I've ever heard them. My clock don't go past midnight.

And one's good. One's not.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2056
I'd say give them one more shot. If you're back to where you are now, start kicking some a s s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8290
Maybe have to drop by after all, Stu!
Send a coupla guys, like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
ok...another new mid installed. I now have two mids manufactured in 04/07. All of the damaged mids were manufactured in (I mis-typed above) 08 of 2006 - not 03.

Dealer has no answers. Never seen this before. He suggested that I call Paradigm and talk with them. Which I will do on Monday.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8345
And again, Stryvn is not overdriving the speakers, and nowhere near any distortion that either of us could discern.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 821
This really blows. I wish you the best of luck Stryvn.

This may very well cross Paradigm off my list depending on how they handle your case.
I wish you well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
Thanks, Gavin. If this happens again, we're done. Which stinks because I love the sound of the speaks.

I will, of course, post any updates here.

How's that Amy Winehouse import?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 822
Love it. I'd classify it as "jazz funk"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us