Energy Speakers at Futureshop

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 160
For those of us in Canada, Futureshop now selling a fairly large line of Energy speakers:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?catid=19171&mfr=&logon=&langid=EN& sort=0&page=1&list=

Anyone have any experience with these? Likes/Dislikes?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7739
The only Energy's I have heard lately were standmounts, don't know the model.
5" and 3/4". in a deep cab in yech finish. Sounded OK, though.
I didn't see any standmounts in the ad.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 165
Aren't Energy speakers made by the same company that makes Mirage/Athena?

You would think that the almost $2500 price tag on the reference floorstanders at FS would buy you a darned good set of speakers (assuming price paid == quality, of course).

Why someone would go to a big box electronics store and drop that kind of money when they could buy a true high quality speaker is beyond me.

If I was gonna spend 2k on speakers I'd be running out to buy a set of Totems. That just may be me, though.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5063
The Energy RC speakers are a very fine sounding speaker and there plenty of folks who would prefer their sound to Totems, not me I'll add.

At a little over 2k I'd want Rega R7's.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 491
Energy speakers are made by API who also manufacturer Athena and Mirage. They were purchase by Klipsch a while back.

I have the C-3 and C-5 of the previous Energy C Series. I think they sound quite good. Voices are very natural and the overall sound quality is quite balanced.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1206
Here in Canada the discounted price offered by big box stores such as Future Shop (Best Buy) are quite a difference from what a specialty store would offer even for a complete system discounted. In fact even interent orders end up costing more. A friend of mine got an SVS PB-10 at the sale price of $399 - total cost was over $700 after border taxes and all that crap.

When I was shopping for my system the receiver I bought (Harman Kardon AVR430) was $1050 at Future Shop, and $2250 at an audio store. With those kind of price differences I'd be stupid not to buy at a "big box store." It's so bad the audio store wouldn't even give me a quote for a complete system because he couldn't compete.

Username: Kingsley99

Ottawa, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
Actually, here in Ottawa there is a very reputable audio store (The Audioshop)that carries the Energy speaker line and their prices across the whole line are less than at Futureshop. Plus you get an experienced salesperson who actually knows something about audio. At Futureshop you get some teenager with minimal to no knowledge who just wants to get a commission.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 204
I know that store - been in there many times. They carry a good line of mid to high end gear. StereoPlus (in Orleans - suburb of Ottawa) have better prices overall, though. Any chance you work at the Audioshop, Mark?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 118
Mark is right, been there and the prices at Future Crap is at least 15 percent higher accross the board on Energy. On the plus side Energy speakers are pretty good, and I think it is a huge jump up from the crap Polk speakers they were selling as their "High End" speakers before.(ahhhh my ears!!!!) I still wouldn't ever step food into a big crap store for any kind of audio equipment what so ever. Even if I was looking for a pair of Energy speakers.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 211
I kinda got the impression the Energys at FS were overpriced too.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 520
Energy/athena/Mirage Were all bought out by klips

its on there site under News
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us