NAD C 272

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 155
Just pulled the trigger on a new (my second one) NAD C 272. I figured my rear surrounds were suffering from an inferiority complex and wanted to keep up with the fronts.

Man, I have serious issues.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5056
Congrats David....can't help you with those issues I'm afraid!

Much good listening and watching ahead I'm sure .

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7731
A well balanced system, David.
Let us know how you get on?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 157
That's what I've been aiming for.

Eventually I'll buy more and either

(a) bi-amp the front speakers
or
(b) run the 272s bridged and have a mono for each front

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 174
So I picked up my second C272 today. The original one is driving my front speakers (Paradigm Monitor 7 v4's). The new one is now driving my surround speakers (Paradigm Atom v5's).

Right now I'm just watching TV in the "TV Surround" DSP mode and I already notice a difference (the rear speakers are more noticeable now!). I also took this opportunity to upgrade the crappy speaker cable going to the rears to shielded 16 g.

Looking forward to listening to some music and watching a movie this weekend.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7802
Err, you aren't goint to leave all that heat stacked up right David?

Right, David?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 175
Yeah, the lack of ventilation concerns me, especially after reading about 272s spontaneously combusting.

I'm planning on getting some risers ASAP to elevate all the components.

I had my original 272 on one of the shelves with a 4" fan extracting the hot air, but the white noise of the fan drove me to distraction.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7803
Dude, get them on the floor.
Putting that much weight higher up in the air would negate any child-misadventures you might fear on the floor...TIMberrrrr!

The convection would still be prevelant.

Nice presentation on the floor, I'm gonna do the same.
If the amps are on a trigger, you can spirit them away(for little fingers sakes), but the heat is gonna bake everything. Guaranteed in writing.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 176
Putting them on the floor isn't really an option (no room). I'll probably get one of these stands:

http://audioshop.on.ca/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

Gold Member

Post Number: 7809
Dave, seperation of the vertical is the name of the game, if you choose the wide side-by-side(I sound like Bob Barker), you will be better off.

If your speaks are away from the wall, the amps could sit back there.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 177
I hear ya. The speakers are pretty close to the wall, so that's definitely a no-go. For now I can stick one of the amps on the very bottom shelf of the ad-hoc unit I have (there's at least 2 feet of clearance). The Pioneer isn't driving any speakers, so I'm not too worried about one of the 272s sitting on top of that. Better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7814
A little, but the heat soaking into the receiver will do it no good.

Ya need to spread out horizontilly, or quit buying stuff!
Really, Dave, at this point you need to isolate the parts without transmitting heat.
Find a way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7815
Can you pull out the other speaker to make room for the 2nd amp?
Just a little bit, like.

You lose the presentation, but save an amps life.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7816
Oh, and you have to pull them anually for a cleaning.
If you have a cat, twice anually.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 178
I should probably quit buying stuff.

No cats, just a massive dog, which is probably worse.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7818
All slober aside, Dave, you gotta get those pieces apart.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

UK

Post Number: 391
Indeed, aside from looking top heavy you really need to get some air around those NADs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7832
and wash your hands, fer gawds sakes!(300lbs of Rotti here, split in 2) visiting

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 180
How do you split a Rotti in 2?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7839
120 female, 180 male. He is named Maxx.

She is Chewy(chewbacca).

The JW's do not ring at our door on Saturday mornings.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 22
Here is my set-up. Crappy pic. Really small, I have no idea what it is going to look like on here. But, my question is..Is the way I have the NAD cd player and NAD dvd player stacked on top of each other fine? Or should I make room? If you need an up close pic of the stand I can get the digital out. This is from my cell phone just now.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7841
Nick, your layout looks fine.Working with a given space, the amp has good venting, the cd and dvd 'might' benefit from some isolation.
How about the cdp on the upper right(in lieu of the bauble) and perhaps on some attractive feet?

Nice pic from the phone, BTW.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 23
Thanks.Yeah, the room really does suck for furniture layout. I will be buying a home in the fall and the lady says it has to have a nice kitchen, and I say it has to have a dedicated home theater room.lol. The upper right spot will be filled very soon with the new Sony Blu-Ray Player. What I might do is move the Xbox 360 down below the center channel and put the CDP where it is. With some sweet feet. Any rec's on the feet? Ive never used third party feet before although I know it helps specially with cd players.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 24
Oh and David, my original plan as well was to buy a second C272 for the center channel or the rears. And eventually buy a third one. My receiver has some power to it though. How did it benefit your rears? Should I be holding off on the Blu-Ray player guys and be getting a second C-272?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 301
Nick, enjoy your nice new kitchen.

System looks good. Where's the cd collection hiding?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 25
Hey Stryvn. Just around the corner. Heres a pic. Mainly DVD's and Xbox games. But in the second row stuck on top of some DVD's is my cd book...looks like a black space in this pic, but it is there. It is full and holds 300. I am in the market, also, for a second / larger book shelf.lol its a tad full.

Upload

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 181
Nice setup Nick. My room too is kinda crappy for furniture setup because of our elevated, open concept living room.

What's driving your rear speakers now Nick? I was running mine off my Pioneer receiver before the 272. I did notice an immediate improvement with the 272. There were a few times watching TV in HD where I had to look behind me because I heard sounds with such clarity, it surprised me. I also listen to a lot of music in 7.1 surround (my amp does a surprisingly good job at this), and it sounds FANTASTIC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
yep...cd/dvd/xbox rack in the kitchen- Time for a new house. With a nice kitchen. So you can get another dvd rack in there. The wife'll love it.

I like those component racks too, Nick. And damn, that phone takes a nice pic.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 27
Hey David, good to hear. That makes me want to get one even more now.lol. The wife will kill me, but she will get over it. Right now I have the C272 powering the huge Paradigm Studio Monitor's.(They are power hungry). My NAD T763 receiver powers the center, rears(Paradigm Monitor 3's) and of course my sub. I have the exact same center channel as you. Funny thing is, I too, around X-Mas time was looking into buying a mono Outlaw Amp. But thought, maybe, just maybe my receiver might be doing a good enough job. So I think the second C272 might just be a must for the rears now??? Blu-Ray can maybe wait.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 28
LOL,she will love it. Nothing like a quick PhotoShop flash in the pan will do to a crappy quality pic. It is actually my wife's brand new LG phone. Don't be fooled, when I put them on the computer I have to smooth them over quick and up the pixel count. Two second job. But yeah, I agree Stryvn. Having the DVD rack in the corner of my dinning room does make for an ugly scene while eating.LOL. This place is Temp for sure, had to move FAST for my job.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 30
Sorry got off topic. Stryvn, checked out your audio list. Sweet set-up.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 497
Nick,

Are your amps plugged into the Monster 3600MKII Power Center? If yes try running them directly into separate wall outlets to see if that does anything for you.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 31
Yes they are. Ok I will try it right now and let you know.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 32
woooooowwww. Ok so I cranked up some Chevelle. First plugged into the Monster. Then into the wall outlet. Seems to me that it sounds a bit warmer with a tad more thump to it plugged into the wall outlet. Is this normal? if so how come? should I be leaving it plugged into the wall instead of the monster? what is going to protect the amp from being blown my a surge of power?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 33
Hey Mike, I just did the same test with Neil Young-Live at Massey Hall. I might like that cd a bit better plugged into the Monster. I guess I should ask.. what difference should I be expecting? How do all of you have your amp powered? Thanks.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 499
Frank A. and Nuck had suggested to me what I had suggested to you. See my profile for my power protection set up. Initially I had both Monsters fronting my amp. I now am running both of my amps out of 2 separate outlets from my Monster / Panamax gear. It was one of the best "free" system upgrades I experienced. Running out of the power conditioners really choked off my amps.

Disclaimer: "The results achieved by changing my power arrangement may not be achieved by all and is subject to subjectivity of individual abodes, power sources, and amplifiers."

"Please be sure to unplug your gear during all Lightening and Thunder storms."

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 500
Also not to pooh-pooh in your litter box, but while I liked the Massey Hall CD I did not find it to be reference recording material. Try some other CDs as well. Perhaps you should peruse the thread "Music Selections for the Speaker Guys", found under Home Audio / Speakers.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 34
Ok, so after about an hour of carefull listening this morning with about a dozen different cd's. I have come to the conclusion that its not that my amp sounds better plugged into the wall outlet, is that it sounds slightly different. Bit warmer, maybe a tad more low end, but a wee more sloppy in the mid range. So...for now I think I will keep it on the Monster. Now that said, I dont like Monster products at all. I know Panamax and APC Home Theater and a few others just destroy Monster as far as power filtering goes. Monster is just Marketing hype.How do you like your Panamax Michael? I will eventually move the monster over to the right stand and replace it with a Panamax.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 503
Nick,

The Panamax should be less intrusive than the Monster. For me having the amps running into separate outlets (circuits) provides a significantly more open airy sound stage than when plugged into either the Monster or Panamax. But as I posted above:

"Disclaimer: "The results achieved by changing my power arrangement may not be achieved by all and is subject to subjectivity of individual abodes, power sources, and amplifiers."

I think you are right on track with swapping your power units. My 50" Plasma loves the Monster gear, my surround system doesn't care what it's plugged into, and my DVD player is just plain stuck with the Monster gear since I moved the Panamax over to the audio gear, TT, CDP, Tuner, and Pre.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7867
Mike, does your lawyer wright this shite or what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
Ever since I told another forum member that I was sending Mike my kids, he covers his a s s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7870
And this may have evolved itno one of the straingest turn of events(not involving Jones) that I have seen in a while.

Do continue, lemme grab a beer.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 35
mmMmmmMM Beer. Can't sleep.Im getting frosty at the mouth. Could be from looking at Nuck's,Stryvn's,David's and Michael's(Huge) a/v system. David, did you get your audio stand yet?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 182
Nope, no new stand yet. Between a birthday party (not mine), a wedding (not mine) and a new born baby (mine) I just never found the time to get the new stand this weekend. Have my eye on one though that I'll probably order.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 36
Right on. The stands you have picked out look really nice. Keep us posted.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 72
Hey guys, I know this it the wrong place to be posting this, but I figured I had already mention to the guys in here that I was thinking about buying that Blu-Ray player. Well Friday I brought home both Sony blu-ray players. The Sony BDP-S1, was 1299.99 now 999.99 and the new Sony BDPS-300 for 599.99. I picked the BDP-S1 because it was obvious it had better video and audio, and did full DTS True and Dolby True which the cheaper one doesn't. The cheaper one had slightly faster loading times, and played cd's. I would never use the blu-ray player for cd's since I have the NAD for that. So video and audio won it over for me on the more expensive Sony. Best part is I am real good friends with all the guys from Red Ball Radio and so I got the more expensive one for 800 dollars taxes in.lol. Watched Happy Feet and Black Hawk Down on it today and all I have to say is...wow. Thought I would let you guys know. Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us