NAD C370 Issues

Username: Mustard_k

Post Number: 1
Hi there, I have a Nad C370 which I've been using with a Nad C270 bi amping a pair of Jm Lab 816 speakers.

Lately the sound from the C370 has been distorted a little. I started using the C370 as a pre amp and the C270 as a power amp which was Ok but not as good as the bi amped setup.

The past few days the power light has been red (some kind of protection i believe) and not working for periods. I took the top cover off the amp and was shocked at how dusty it was! I cleaned it off a little and put it back together.

It appears to be working in the bi amped configuration this evening. Without any music playing there are some noises coming from my left channel , kind of like a faint crackle.

Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong? is it repairable?

I'm at a loss as there are no authorised Nad service providers in my area.

If I have to replace the C370 is it worth considering a pre amp to use with the C270?

Or should i write both amps off and buy a new one?

Cheers

mustard

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7716
Maybe the cleaning didn't cut the mustard?
A reputable shop should be able to deep clean the Nad before deep sixing it.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10716

The symptoms indicate an amplifier than requires service. Call NAD and get instructions for who can do the repair and how to contact them. Ask for an estimated cost of repairs before putting major money into the unit if you're not sure it's worth repairing.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice guys

Post Number: 3
Ok, I spoke to a NAD service provider and was quoted around £200 including shipping .

I think I may cut my losses and lose the C370. Do you guys have any suggestions on a pre amp for the C270? Or should I lose that too and get a new amp?

Any suggestions are very welcome

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

UK

Post Number: 390
The obvious pre-amp would be Nad's own C162. This will give you more or less the sound you are used to. Otherwise it's demo time! The previous C160 has identical internals to the C162, they just updated the aesthetics to match the C272.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7745
ade, King is right on the money there.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10740

Go listen. There are multiple alternatives to the NAD sound.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 102
There def. is better then NAD. But not much for the money you pay for NAD. C162 is a nice sounding piece for the price. Perhaps Rotel is another option? They to are a great value. Or Outlaw Audio.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1989
Don't mix Rotel and NAD. You'll get the worst of both worlds. I've heard it a few times, and its not pretty. They don't do each other any favors.

If you're intent on keeping the NAD power amp and getting a new pre-amp, stick with NAD. Unless of course you plan on getting rid of the power amp in the foreseeable future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us