Pioneer PL-516 Platter Removal

Username: Rufer

Post Number: 1
Hi there. Sorry my first post had to be a new thread. I've searched the archives for the answer to my question but to no avail.

I'm wondering how I remove the platter from my newly aquired Pioneer PL-516. Is there anything I need to unscrew? I've tried pulling up on the platter to no avail.

Also, I'm wondering what a good replacement cartridge would be for this TT. I don't want to spend more than will do the table justice.

Thanks a lot for your time,
Matt

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10669

The platter should just lift straight up and off the main spindle. You might need to use a tiny bit of penetrating oil if the platter has oxidized to the spindle. How much will you pay for a cartridge and what's on the arm now?

Post Number: 2
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm allowing the oil to penetrate now.

I guess I'd be willing to pay up to $60 if the benefit of doing so would be great. Right now there's an Audio-technica AT70 on there.

Thanks again.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10671

If it's needed, I would just replace the stylus on the AT. Otherwise, Shure and Grado make very good lower cost cartridges.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7689
Hey, MR, how much vinyl do you have, and where do you get more stuff?

Post Number: 3
Jan, thanks for the info on the platter removal. After putting the oil on there it came off pretty easy. I was hesitant to put to much force in the lift.

Nuck, I am brand new to the vinyl thing so I don't have much. There's a great local store around here called Orpheus that has a ton of new and used records. Also, I just placed and order from acousticsounds.com , they have excellent stuff, reasonable prices, and good shipping rates.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us