Speaker Wire Advice

Peter
Just bought Onkyo 760 system (similar speakers to 650). Want to upgrade speaker wire:

1) 14 or 16 gauge? 12 too big? (less than 50 feet distance). Also, do you recommend using larger wire for the three front speaker - & smaller for the satellites?)

2) Do I have to buy expensive Monster cable, or are there other more affordable brands that are as good -- or that I won't notice the difference? (if so, which brands do you recommend?) (I saw GE or RCA brand 100 feet of 16 gauge for about $12)

3)Regular or flat wire (if I put flat wire under a carpet, can I step on it without hurting it?)

Thanks in advance for your time.

timn8ter
This topic often borders on the realm of the mystical and esoteric. From a purely scientific view, that is, measureable data, what you want is oxygen free copper in a PVC or teflon jacket. 14 AWG is usually enough, 12 AWG is max. There are some that insist silver wire is best and will also offer up 27 twisted pair made from Cat5 data cable, blah, blah, blah. There is no measureable data to support these types as superior to copper speaker wire for distances less than 100 feet. My advice is go to Home Depot and by a spool of RCA Digital Speaker Wire in 12 or 14 AWG. That's all you need. BTW, Monster is a waste of money, unless you have Bose speakers. In that case, you're used to blowing your money. lol

timn8ter
Sorry, missed your third question. Flat speaker wire is usually too light gauge. I know many people, myself included, that have run regular 12 or 14 AWG speaker wire under their carpet for years and not had any problem. Kinda makes a lump though. :-)

Peter
Timn8ter, appreciate all your advice. Thanks for taking all the time to do it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us