New Home Stereo System. need Suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 72
I'm getting rid of my old speakers and upgrading but I'm really bad at home audio I'm more of a car audio fanatic. But whats the best way to choose a subwoofer system? I have 2 10" subs now but i got them from partsexpress for like $30 and i wanted to upgrade but i dont even know how to get a sub woofer amp that will work at home. but does anybody have any suggestions? i have a good speaker amp but it doesnt have a subwoofer jack.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 73
like i wanted to know whats a good subwoofer amp and where i should get a box for the sub. i wanted either a 15" or 12".

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2531
Muahahaha

Now do you want to upgrade from these subs or are they your upgrade?

Are you going to listen to rap a lot or are you a classic rock person? Is this for movies also? All these factors help decide what you want.

Do you want to try and break a window, or are you just going to be doing casual listening?

Subwoofer Amps...quite a variety.

From PE, up to 1000w (RMS) is available for up to $400... from other places you can get up to 2500w RMS for the same price. Once you get to $1000, you reach 5000w and then eventually 15kw (All Pro Amps)....

So really I need to know...are those the drivers you plan to use?

If not...budget...listening material...and VOLUME...and how much work you're willing to do.

From there we can design something that will blow you away...DIY ftw. Since you're car audio you should know slot porting and box building so that shouldn't even be an issue!

Don't forget that the way you design in home isn't the same as in car due to the different acoustic properties.

Ok that's about it.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2532
To follow up what you said, it'd be a lot better to design your own box custom to the drivers in order to get best SQ, output, and all that. I'll see what you say to that.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 74
for a subwoofer system i wanted to spend about $600 and it would be used only for music. Rap and rock.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 75
and i want sql.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2533
Oooooh $600 is plenty...

Are you SQ, SQL/LSQ, or SPL?

I'm assuming SQL...so...

Ok music only that means that you only need extension to maybe 28hz...plenty of output...

Now what's the size limit of this thing?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2534
Uh I'll just guess that 5ft³ isn't too large...

Given that.. a 15 Fi BLD2 powered by the EP2500 (1800w) in that size enclosure would give you 120dB (without room gain) down to 25hz or so. In a car that'd be way louder... So that would be strong output down to low freqs for maybe $600..

If you want to pull out a little more SPL for a bit more money...you could get together that same amp with the BTL18 and tune a little lower to get 125dB down to 22hz or so for $800 or so and 130dB down to 28hz for $1200.... It's all in what you want. I'd personally (on that budget) stay on the budget and go for the BL though...

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 76
can you give me links for everything? where can i get good prices?

Username: Tomacco

Carp, ON Canada

Post Number: 2
When it comes to sub-woofers, the sky's the limit. If you want the best, then choose SVS. Prices start around $550 and go on to about $1200.

http://www.svsound.com/

Username: Tomacco

Carp, ON Canada

Post Number: 6
1. The subs already have the amp built in.

2. The link I gave you gives you the location where you can buy the subs - Toronto.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2535
Eric, I would support your suggestion, as I considered SVS once...but...

1. He wants it for music, not HT. I know SVS CAN be good for music, but it's more of an HT sub!

2. For the same price you can get SVS, you can build a sub with higher-quality parts and get better performance, especially for music.

SVS: Commercial Sub (needs to get a profit on parts that are already marked up usually), Good for HT, not bad for music, great value for a commercial sub, no building involved.

DIY:Individual Parts with their own mark-ups before sub markup...cost savings. The value of DIY can be off-the-charts easily. The sub is designed tailored to your use (or any use if more money is applied)...and you can choose what you want from it. From DIY, I'd expect you'd want some pretty good SPL and moderate extension...but you can tune lower if you want.

I would probably go for SVS or something similar if I weren't building! The thing is...BANG BANG for your buck. You can always go 18 for an extra $30...Qts is relatively similar.

Links: BL line https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=15466f0c5a646bb/shopdata/0015_BL/product_overview.shopscript That's about as low as I know of price to get unless you get it secondhand.

The EP2500: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EuroPower-EP2500-Power-Amp?sku= 480697 (remember 1800-1900w, it was recently tested)...

So...MDF should be available at the local store and you prob have tools?

It's your choice whether you want to build or not. I just want you to get that BANNG for the buck. SPL would be a good bit higher and you could def. get SQ...if you want more SQ (you've heard 2 15Qs with PF I think) you can go to the Q18 or 15 and just build a good box, give it almost 2000w and you could get more extension and SQ from it. I like the BL if you're not HUGE about SQ though...more SPL and good displacement.

It's all your choice. Any more Q's I'll answer or anyone else who wants to help (sorry Eric, but unless he doesn't want to build...).

SVS uses TC-Sounds built drivers and you could get better drivers from TC themself than in the SVS subs...so that's an option. The value of Fi is great though...

All you. All you...

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 695
You might note that there is some skill involved in these DIY projects. You can't just slap any old driver into any old cabinet, hook it up to a 1000 watt plate amp, and expect top notch performance. This isn't to say that someone with the requisite skills and knowledge can't make a great subwoofer, but if you don't know where to get a plate amplifier, odds are good that you don't know how to build an optimal box for a particular driver either.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2536
He's got a point ^^^

You'd have to know what you're doing first. I have ...okay... knowledge about what I'm building and how to do it. If you don't feel you know what you're doing...you might go with SVS. It's all your choice...as I said.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us