Need a reciever...any recomendations?

Username: Killergoat117

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 1
hey im a college student...so money is tight...but i am in need of a reciever that is capable of putting out at least 100wattsrms x 2 @ 8 ohms...a little more or less is ok...gona mostly use it for music...i dont want the surround sound stuff...just plain stereo...it would be nice if the receiver had a subwoofer output too...thanks...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7546
Harmon Karden is a good dependable make, Michael.
Do you have speakers?

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 2
yea i have some old speakers my youth pastor gave me...they have been gettin me by...not sure on the make or model as it has been worn away...but they sound really good to me...they each have a 15" woofer...id say a 4 inch mid...3 inch upper mid...and a 1 inch tweeter....i have a cheap aiwa pushing them now...and the speakers are sreaming for more power...the aiwa gets them maybe 20rms...haha...and the 15"s seem to have an xmax of around 8mm one way...but they barely move before the receiver goes into protect...i think its time...i do like a brighter sound...but not harsh...would u think that the 4 way speakers i have now would give me that with the hk...ik that hk receivers are said to be warmer...i also looked at the pioneer elite M-10x and A-35R...what do u think about those....

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7550
MA, at this time I would suggest that you get a receiver fom the most convienent source posssible and wait for the better deal to come along.
Speakers get old.

If you stay with us, we can show you the way to audio happiness.

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 3
hahaha...audio happiness sounds good...yea ik that these speakers are probably ancient...haha...but heck...they still perform...and until i start hearing crackling or cones starting to rot...i dont see a need in wasting money on new speakers...but yea ill stick around...and perhaps towards the end of the summer i can look into purchasing new speakers...i already have sub that im going to use...its a 15" adire audio brahma mk 1...so that should cover the lows very well...i just would need some good solid sounding mains...but right now i just dont have the money...ill try to pick up a receiver thatl get me by till then though thanks for help nuck...ill contact u later when im ready to purchase a new system!

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 77
MA, your speakers have 15 inch woofers, why would you need a sub with that??? those 15's should be plenty to cover the lows, sell the sub and look into Yamaha, they are pretty bright sounding IMO, that would be a lot better than that aiwa your useing. or sony make a stereo receiver that will do just fine to for about $150 check it out at best buy or circuit city.

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 4
shawn...the adire audio brahma of mine was a previous car sub...its just sitting around...i know good and well the 2 15's and the brahma would be WAY overwhelming on the lows...in the future though im looking at getting some new bookshelfs...and hopefully putting the brahma to some use....but yea ill look at both sony and yamaha...thanks for your input...

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 121
I have one of these in my gym. A lot of people on this forum don't seem so crazy Yamaha, but I'm pretty happy with this unit. Has a sub pre-out to boot:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200029&CTID=5000600

You do have to be careful what speakers you pair with Yamaha, I find. Interestingly enough I've found Yamaha speakers sound not so good with Yamaha gear. Go figure.

Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 1
Nad or Rotel would be my recommendation. Both have tones of power, great sound quality and an awesome performance to price ratio. If you like a brighter sound then go Rotel. If both of these brands are out of your price range, then I would recommend the Yamaha Shawn and David have mentioned.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us