Totem Arros-Help!!!

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 283
Hello Everyone!
It's been a few weeks since I've been here. In that time I bought a pair of Arros in mahog- also picked up 2 pairs of the beaks as well.
Anyway, we're up to about 7 hours on the speakers. I am powering them with a Jolida 1501RC amp coupled to an Apollo connected with Kimber Silver Streaks. Anyway, do these speakers generate more bass when bi-wired? They have the capability to being bi-wired- however the Jolida only has 2 pair of speaker outputs. I know my listening room is 22x12 and the system is in the center of the 22 long wall about 17 inches from the back ball and placed about 6 feet apart. These speakers (at 7 hours) sound a bit bright and thin, almost as if there is not really any bass at all. I know they are not going to get that low as the size of their drivers and cabinets can only render so much. But man! I don't know if it's too early in the break-in period, but the Era 5's sounded a lot bigger and (they were of course broken in for close to 200 hours- and are 85dB sensitive in comparison to the 87dB for the Arro's -so the Jolida at 100wpc should be fine. Any thoughts as to what might be going on????
I'm thinking of putting them in a smaller, square room like 10x10 to see what the boundary reinforcement will have an effect on the sound. I don't though...Is this indicative to the break-in, or do I have them wired improperly?
Please advise, boys, Frank, Stu? Fellas????
Hell, you can call me if you're so inclined 614-204-1946
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10561

"NO MORE SQUARE ROOMS!!!!!"

Thank you, Miss Crawford.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10562

Just throw a blanket over the speakers and come back in 50-75 hours.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4911
I thought that was "NO MORE ROOM FOR SQUARES"!

Break in the speakers then see where you stand. My suspicion is that you still won't be where you want to be. The Kimber Sliver Streak was probably ideal for a warm and forgiving speaker like the Era, probably not for the Totem's and I'm not sure what kind of current that Jolida has, but has to come "with it" to make the Arro's sing, same could be said of the Era's except for that the efficiency specs don't tell you all you need to know about driving a speaker.

Break them in then fuss with placement and that should help the bass. The brightness I'm afarid might have to do with IC's, speaker cable, current, room acoustics and on and on.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7543
I actually broke in Miss Crawford in the same way, with the blanket treatment. The mids and highs were exceptional.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 284
...i should so not admit this....however...I AM A MORON! I just noticed that the left speaker was wired out of phase to the Jolida! Yep.
sigh....there's the sound! - They are in need of some break-in for sure. Any comments (no comments about me being an idiot, that goes without saying!)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4913
Not an idiot UB, it happens. Break those puppies in and let's see where you're at!

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 120
For what it's worth I auditioned a pair of Arros about 6 months ago and I was astounded by the punchy, tight low-end. It was actually kinda ridiculous that a little speaker like that could sound so good. Granted they were powered by top of the line Bryston gear...

I still want a set of Arros someday.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4914
"Granted they were powered by top of the line Bryston gear..."

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 122
Not to get too OT here, but I was actually just checking out some Bryston power amps yesterday. They sound damned nice, but are a tad rich for my blood at this particular point in time. Maybe once my kids leave the house ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7557
Put Classe stuff at the top 'o that list Dave.
For that kind of money, Classe is the best.
I promise!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 124
Somehow I knew you were going to say that Nuck ;-)

Actually I'm not totally sold on the Bryston. My local high end shop really pushes it over other amps they carry like Arcam, Anthem, etc.

When my disposable income level justifies a true high-end purchase I shall remember your advice vis-a-vis Classe.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4915
At the high end I think there is better than both, but then I've never been a Classe fan. I like their gear well enough but it doesn't excite me, neither does Bryston. They are both very competent but there is something that I can't describe that doesn't work for me (then again I'm a big Naim fan). I do however like the big Simaudio, McCormack, and Marsh amps, also love the Sugden class A amps. In tubes I think it's hard to beat Mastersound, not enough power for those Arro's I'm afraid but a real propulsive drive, very good timing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Classe or Bryston amp with a smile on my face and a song in my heart they just wouldn't be my first choice.

That said among famous "flat earth" brands Rega would not be my first choice, I would buy Naim first if I could afford it.

Mike, there have been a number of very powerful Krell integrated's on Agon lately. A good sounding amp with a whole bunch of current.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7558
Fair nuff.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1910
As a Bryston owner, I'm outraged!!!!

But in all seriousness, you make a very good point Art. I wouldn't have bought my B60 brand new, even if I could have afforded it (I'd give very serious consideration to the B100 SST though). Second hand, Bryston is very hard to beat. A new B60 retails for $2300, not including the remote and phono stage options that I've got. A new one equiped as mine is will run about $3000, give or take. From strictly a sound quality prespective, its not worth it. IMO, a good portion of the retail price of Bryston gear is for the build quality and warantee, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think SimAudio is along the same lines, but their warantee is 10 years vs Bryston's 20.

Dollar for dollar in a purely SQ shootout, a lot of companies beat out Bryston IMO. But if you're spending that much money, would you rather have that last very little bit of SQ, or a 20 year warantee? I'd go with the warantee and support, but that's just me. There's no right or wrong answer.

Although, Naim and McIntosh (and a very few others) are built very well and are very well supported. But their service isn't exactly cheap, let alone free for 20 years.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4934
Good points Stu...

I hear footsteps...is that Stu and Nuck...guys if I disappear remember that you witnessed this post!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10576

The question should be whether something needs the additional ten years of warranty (if it doesn't break due to workmanship in ten years, will it break due to workmanship in twenty and will it really be "free" in seventeen years) and whether you'll like it enough to hold on to it for the additional ten years. Apparently, the original owner didn't think it was worth holding on to, warranty or not. I'm not trying to discount your purchase, but buying something because it's a good deal is seldom the way to Audio Nirvana. Either the equipment sounds right to you or it doesn't. I think a few of us are getting the impression you're not excited about your most recent purchase. Not that this has anything to do with Totem speakers, but I guess we're waiting for seventy-five hours to expire to hear how the speakers are doing.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1915
Jan,

I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I didn't buy it soley because I thought it was a good deal. I bought it because I think it was the best integrated I could buy within my budget. I didn't settle for something because it was a few dollars cheaper than what I really wanted. I honestly don't think I could have done better for my money than what I've bought. If that equates to buying something because it was a great deal, then I'm more than fine with it. After hearing it in my room with the rest of my gear, the only way I'll part with it will be if I move and it doesn't have the power needed for the room. But, if that occurs, I can use it in a bi-amp configuration with a similarly powered Bryston seperate amp, thus doubling the power and being more than sufficient for just about any room.

My main point was that at the $1000 I paid for it, I haven't heard anything better. At the $3000 that it would retail for brand new, there's a lot of competition. I don't think I'd be enthusiastic about it compared to other things in that price bracket. While it sounds better than some things in that price range - ie NAD M3, it pales in comparison to others - ie McIntosh MA-6300. For $3000, there is better. For $1000, nothing compares to it.

For the record, I'm the 100% excited about my recent purchase. It sounds more than right to me. Its about as close to Audio Nirvana as I can get while living within my means. While it may and hopefully be the last amplifier that I'll ever buy, it certainly isn't the case for everyone else.

Hopefully those Arros are nearing the 75 hour mark.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 139
Hmm just a question guys would any of you consider a bel canto amp??? Just wondering never heard one before but a dealor was raving about them. maybe it's because he sells them??? :-)

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 130
Chico - I just listened to a pair of Bel Canto monoblocks pushing a pair of Totem Staffs last weekend. It was scary how good they sounded. I didn't even bother asking how much because I knew they were above and beyond my means. Especially now that I have newborn baby daughter :-)

Username: Mchale

Post Number: 4
David,

Agreed. The Staffs sound great. I had a pair for a while, very enjoyable, very realistic. The best results I had with them was with Class-D amplification. If the Bel Canto stuff is too much you might consider something by Flying Mole. Last time I checked they had very reasonable prices.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 434
Chico, I was on an excellent adventure with Nuck when I had a dealer pair up Bel Canto monoblocks with a Conrad Johnson tube pre-amp and Joseph Audio floostanders, all wire AQ and Monster conditioning to demo a Rega Saturn. Timing and pace were very good, not to harsh, decent headroom. Again, it was only for a couple of hours and since I was unfamiliar with the CJ as well as the AQ wires / interconnects I can only say the Bel Cantos didn't mess things up for me as I do not know what played what role in what I was hearing.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 141
well i'm possiblely I was considering the bel canto e.oneS300i http://belcantodesign.com/prod_eOneS300i.html#
Well i'll prob have to save quite a bit more for that. Its a little outta my price range. But i'm dying to audition some of their stuff when I had to tnt where they have a caribbean dealor

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 287
Arros are finished with the break-in and sounding pretty sweet. I highly recommend them.
There's a guy on A-gon that will sell them new for $800- delivered.

Username: Goochy

NJ

Post Number: 1
Uback007,

Do have a link for this guy at A-gon? I am looking to upgrade my ancient POLK RTA-8Ts and the Arros like they might fit the bill. Any opions out there?

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us