New Audiophile in need of Recommendations

Username: Fireborn

Post Number: 1
Hello I recently purchased a beginner setup: USED NAD 705 reciever
pair of Monitor Audio Silver 4s bookshelf speakers

And now I need recommendations please.
1. What kind of speaker wire to get (any web sites links helpful for where to purchase).

2. What kinda subwoofer would you recommend to work with these speakers? (I am not sure I can plug it into my receiver since it only has 2 speaker plugins, but I know nothing) http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_705.pdf

Thank you so much!
Nathan

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Markdavid

Post Number: 14
hi Nathan

Monitor audio is a great speaker , try QED silver anniversary cables , its very good and the sound is warm , also get some good stand mounts cause it makes a lot of difference.
happy listening
mark

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2190
Actually, I think you mean stands Mark. He already has the standmounts.

Nathan, QED Silver Anniversary XT is the latest version of that cable. It's good value with an open sound. Another good brand to look at is Chord Co. However, both of these are British brands. You may get better value from dealers in your area. If you're in the US, there are other brands such as Audioquest, Cardas and Kimber which may offer better value simply because they don't have to deliver their product so far.

Whichever cable you choose, if you decide to go with single wiring (good idea at this stage - better wire rather than more wire), try to get a snip of it so you can replace the brass jumpers on the back of those speakers with decent wire. Those jumpers are responsible for a lot of ills.

You haven't mentioned what source you are using in the system. This is a very important part of it, and of course it needs to be connected to the receiver. The interconnect also needs to match. A lot of people advocate using interconnects by the same manufacturer as the speaker cable (a so-called wiring 'loom'). It's not a requirement but it does seem to help more often than not.

A subwoofer is not really indicated in this system unless you're driving a large room. You need to be careful with subs because matching them is one thing and then integrating them well is another. It can be difficult. Furthermore, cheap subs can be a nightmare. Typically, they have pretty noisy cabinets and make more noise if not necessarily extend bass response. Why do you think you need a sub?

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Fireborn

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the responses.

I have an 90's model Onkyo 5 disc CD changer as my source right now. I thinking I may need to upgrade this first rather than a subwoofer.

The room this set up will be in is 8ft by 24ft.

After Frank's comments on subwoofer I realize that I probably dont need one so much as a better CD player. I listen to some electronica and hip hop at time though and was thinking that maybe a sub would be nessessary for full enjoyment from such small bookshelf speakers.

I live in Seattle USA. Are there any online companies who are good to purchase cable from? Also are there any links you can post that instruct how to replace the brass jumpers on the back of my speakers with a decent quality wire? Is this the same as "bi wiring" (which i heard was good to do)?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 221
Do yourself a BIG favor Nate- ditch the Onkyo 5 disc changer. It's choking the life out of your music and a little unstable I'm guessing. I used a mid 90's Onkyo 6 disc player until a few months ago when I upgraded to a Rotel dedicated unit. I've been enjoying my cd collection all over again ever since...I should have done it long ago!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us