Bose 321 with optical connection dropping constantly

Username: Compphenom

Post Number: 1
I have a Bose 321 system connected to my Direct TV HD with DVR box. At least 4-5 times per week the audio drops off completely. The only way to get it back is to unplug the power to the Bose system and plug it back in again.

I have called Bose and after a software upgrade and lots of trouble shooting it is still happening. They blame DirecTV or the optical cable itself. Of course DirecTV blames Bose.

Anyone know what could be wrong? Could it be the cable?

- Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1202
I have it happen with a Motorola PVR, especially if advancing commercials with the 30 second skip ahead button.

I fix it by switching tuners on the PVR. If I'm watching a recorded program I stop it and start it again. If I'm watching a live program I start a recorded program and stop it. Once I got used to it, it is only a minor inconvenience, I fix it in 3 seconds now that I'm used to it.

It happens when connected with eiter coax or optical. It's interesting that unplugging the receiver and restarting it fixes the problem. Either it re-establishes the connection, or your problem is something completely different.

Generally the HD DVR boxes are glitchy though, they really need to step up the game or they will be left behind when Digital Rights Downloads start taking off and better boxes start hitting the market.

Username: Compphenom

Post Number: 2
I forgot to mention that it happened with my old, non-HD, DVR box as well (also from DirecTV).

The problem also occurs while just sitting there watching TV, I have never been able to narrow it down to one certain action, although it never happens while watching a DVD or listening to an audio CD.

I have been leaning towards buying a new optical audio cable. Any advice? Are there better ones or worse ones?

- Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1203
Check your cable and make there are no bends, the cable is unimportant as long as the light gets through.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 78
kevin, optical cables are very well known to drop a signal because of they way they connect, they dont really lock in, if you get a higher priced one with a lock feature on it I bet you will be fine, or if your cable box has a coax input use that as coax cable dont drop the signal due to them having a Reliable connection. hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us