Time Window 1a's

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7478
So I connected the TW's yesterday, after obtaining some banana plugs from RatShack.
These speakers, as a pure bi-pole, offer a huge dispersion field and a lively sound.
Unfortunately, the tweeters on one side did not respond, so I had to open the unit.
I have read a bit about these speaks online, and they have a good following, and for good reason.
They be Frankenspeakers.
To open these, first remove the nylock nut on the bottom. Yes, after time, the rod running through the entire unit(into a nutsert in the top) comes loose, so now the whole thing has the firmness of boneless chicken.
The body of the thing is rather firm, however, as it is built from a hunk of 16" sonotube for the 200deg of the field, backed up with fibreboard to finish the body of the speaker.

The left speak is working well, so ZI swung the balance to test that one. The speaker responded well to power, and displayed a wide open and airy feel with 'comfortably numb'. I did not press the power too much, as one speaker does not make a desireable effect, but the 50w or so seemed to make the contrivace quite happy. Me too.

I have a line on replacement tweets from Vifa(both are open, due to a short cap) and they are like 30$ to my door.Nice!

The 'spare' speaker included in the deal, unfortunately, uses all different componants, as well as assembly techinque, which needs a heavy hammer and 4-5 sharp blows to loosen the assembly. I checked with the TW forum on procedure, and this is the recommended method, if salvaging for parts. I have no idea on how to open a TW1 if for repair. The XO of the 1 is not compatible with the 1a, but the bass drivers are.
Of course, the tweets are not.
These will await the replacement high drivers, I should replace all as a quad, but that means removing the glued speaker cloth on both(I suppose that has to happen anyhow).

At this point, I have a fairly good idea on how these speaks present themselves, the strengths(very sweet mids) and the weaknesses(the XO) as the mids got a bit messy with the working unit.

These will be the subject for the active XO project, no doubt.

I would like to thank Mike Wodek for the gift of these speakers, although Mrs. Nuck has other thoughts.

If anyone is interested, I will post along as this project develops, likely the course of the summer.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 412
I am interested in following this project. I am also interested (concerned?) that Mrs. Nuck finds her way to Dallas any time soon. LOL.

Thanks for the updates. I really am disappointed about the tweeter on one not working. Obviously I never opened the 3rd TW so to find out it is not the same build as the other 2 is a surprise. I did not play them much. We had set them up in my kid's bedroom back at the apartment, 8 X 10 room. He wouldn't know if I had B&Ws or JBLs in there so he wasn't going to tell me anything was different with one speaker over the other. When I confiscated the Carver and took it into my A System these became "Spare Parts". Glad they found a good home for rehabilitation and resurrection.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1073
What the heck is a Time Window 1a?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2507
^^^^^^^^ =P

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 638
The Time Window series from old DCM is among those in the hallowed halls of classic audiophile speakers.

Username: Albertaguy7

Medicine Hat, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
Hey Nuck!!
I found soomething for you to have a look at for rebuilding them babies. Hope it helps.

BTW, I bought a pair of tweeters and also a pair of mids for my E50's on ebay. They are coming from England and not here yet. I guess all my searching paid off........I hope......LOL

Have a great one!!!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-50200.html

Dale

Gold Member

Post Number: 7491
Dale, thank-you very much for the link!

The tweets in there are Vifa, in the parts cab they are Phillips units, just like DIY posters said.
I have no reason to doubt that the cap is bad, taking out the 2 tweeters, they both read open on the meter. Sadly, the cap function on my meter has gone south, but I suppose that matters not so much, as the bizarre XO will be supplanted with an electronic.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1074
Nuck, can you please post some pics of these things?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7496
Chris, I will have to jump through hoops to do pics, sigh.
I have issues with the 600x size to post.
Yes I will, happily, as soon as I can sort the issues out.
Please hold, as your call is important to us...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4878
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Easy solution to the sizing issues.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7497
Thanks Art.

Username: Albertaguy7

Medicine Hat, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 5
Hey guys. There was a link in that other forum that still works and it's for pictures. I don;t know if they are the same as yours Nuck, but there are some pictures. Here's the link and password I have copied and will paste below.

"Ugghhh, I can't get the photos to attaach here. Here's a link to them.

www.weinberg-clark.com

When you get there, you'll have to click on the "client access" rollover at the top, then click on the client access link and enter a password, which is
dcm1

That password still works as I was there and had a look at them.

Dale

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1075
I use this http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1076
Upload

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1077
Upload

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1078
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7500
Dale and CM, super! Thanks a bunch, those tweets look like the aftermarket pasts that Phillips came up with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us