Amp connection with no pre-outs

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 107
This is probably a pretty basic question, so please bear with me.

I have a Yamaha stereo receiver with no pre-amp outputs (other than one for a subwoofer). I have an old NAD power amp kicking around not being used for anything.

I want to connect the NAD to the Yamaha and use this receiver as a pre-amp. Is there a way to send a signal to the NAD? I was thinking of using the tape-out jacks. Will this work?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10481

Tape out is unaffected by the volume control from, in this case, the Yamaha as a pre amp. Therefore this connection is the virtually the same as running the Yamaha with its volume control advanced fully into the NAD. Very loud!

Unless the NAD has level trim pots (volume controls) on the front panel, you shouldn't make this connection. If the NAD has trim pots, you can use these as your volume controls. Depending on the source(s) you wish to play you might do better with a passive line level "pre amp". How many sources are you going to play through this system and what are they?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 111
That's kinda what I was afraid of. Back to the drawing board, so to speak.

There's going to be one source - my PC playing MP3s. I know I could always go ahead and connect my sound card directly to the NAD, but then I can't control the volume with my handy Yamaha remote (yeah, it sounds lazy...).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us