Archive through April 15, 2007

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1796
Art: living in hopes - I tend to get some 'hash" with my current digital interconnect,and I thought it was just my player - but now I wonder. . .

And Jan - I think I just must have missed the SS in your link? Will have to look again.

Jerry says he will NOT be bringing his new Saturn over to test against the Cambridge! Oh, really????
(grin) But I may take the DVD87 over there - someday. . . .

His sytem is so awesome I can't stand it. . .

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1266
"But I may take the DVD87 over there - someday. . . ."

You'll be soorrry, Larry!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1797
MR - well, you're probably right. All sorts of things could happen. Jon might be there, and hold me captive until I buy an Apollo - Jerry may not be able to tell the difference between the Cambridge and the Saturn, and get angry - and Mer. . . .no, I ain' lettin' dat gal NEAR Jerry's rig! Can you imagine the wallet-effects? (grin)

We DO plan a "cable shootout," though - probably this weekend - with Kimber, Cobalt, Blue Jeans and Silver Serpents on HIS rig. Jerry probably can't hear any difference, and I'm not sure about me - but we'll give it a go, anyway. . .jest fer fun.

E-MAIL FROM CAMBRIDGE THIS A.M. - they say they have no scientific reason for it, but the 2-ch. layer on SACDs often sounds better than the 5.1 layer - and overall better than downmixing to regular 2-ch. output. I'd asked about downmixing, but now am so satisfied with what I hear on the surround setting with 2-ch layer set as default that I shall not try to change it.

I asked Mer her opinion of music in 2-ch - and she just shrugged. Guess it makes no difference to her at all - but then I remember that with my GUTTED surrounds - as MR reminds me - ain' no chance of getting accurate music outta dem. . .hmm. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1801
All: Please see my new post in Cables/Accessories.

The new Silver Serpents are revelatory! As in, Oh, WOW!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1804
After a VERY late night of listening, the Silver Serpents give both incredible sound - and not-so-good sound.

The digital audio cable is revelatory - so much better than the Blue Jeans I can't believe the clarity.

The analog interconnects improve the SACD sound by quite a bit - BUT - they make red book CDs sound even thinner than the Cobalts and Blue Jeans. The SSs seem to strip away the lower frequencies.

Can't explain that at all - see the Cables SS thread for updates - but at this point it's mixed results.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6411
Lar, it seems that the blush has come offa the rose.

Yet another tradeoff?
It happens.
Try some Rock n Roll, man.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1805
Nuck: I tried some once.

Gave me a headache. . .(grin)

Went to Scotch instead.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4646
Just checking in and catching up, friends.

I am in New Zealand for a few weeks. With Mrs A. Wonderful. Some work, some travel. What a fabulous country.

Not so much time for audio and message boards these days. Will be back, though.

Cheers, all.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1810
John A - was concerned about your possible demise! (grin)
Mer and I envy your NZ travels, sir! We "wish we were there," but know we can only dream.

PS - there are other things in life besides stereo!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1816
I know that few of you are "into" SACD - but at SA-CD.net there is an Online petition going 'round, begging Sony and other companies to keep and expand the format. Here's a link, if you're inclined to read and sign the petition. Many thanks.

http://www.petitiononline.com/SACD/petition.html

LR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1270
Signed it long ago Larry. But SACD seems to be alive and well - at least at present, albeit mainly in the classical genre. A collection of Genesis SACD albums has also recently been released along with DVD-Videos. Seems there's also hope for the SACD rock fraternity as well. Then, these are old remasters - again.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1818
MR - thanks for the support.

Today I was a-messin' wid duh cables and sech, again, and as always, the SACDs sound so much better than the red book CDs. Sigh.

I'm thinking about trying one more cable - Signal Cables Analog II - before I just give up and live with what I have until or unless I can afford a better player someday. . .double sigh.

The 2-ch SACD setting is giving me great sound, and I do NOT miss whatever surround there was.

Tomorrow - well, I try again. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10046

John - Did you have anything to do with this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/new_zealand_mud_flow

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1271
Larry, just powered on the 3910 and amps. I'll soon compare redbook cd's on the Rega with 2 channel SACD and maybe 2 channel DVD-A. Will be interesting - or not. The Apollo continues to shine. We spent Sat & Sun afternoons listening to our redbook cd music sound like -well - real music. Oh, I'm not under any illusion that this system of ours can't be bettered in some other way that will make our music come more alive, but the satisfaction we have now is so high there is no desire to seek anything else except maybe a better pair of main speakers - though I think that will take too much money to make a worthwhile improvement - who knows? That's really too far off - if ever!

Off to the tweaks forum.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1273
Re: Jan's NZ news link:

Had John known those hot sulphur springs are connected to Mt Ruapehu, I'm sure he would have kept it contained.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1820
Right-oh, MR - wishing you and Mz Rantz great listening, etc. etc.

At the moment, my SACD playback is right up near the "very good" point. But the red book still lags far behind.

I still don't understand why the new Silver Serpent digital cable sounds as good as my Blue jeans analog cables do. Shouldn't be that way, if all I hear about the Cambridge DACs is correct.

I'll be swinging by Jerry's place tomorrow afternoon, just for a quick listen - and NOT taking over my Cambridge player. (would probably drop that, too!!)

I'm toying with Art's suggestion that I get some Signal Cable interconnects. I've e-mailed the company, and should hear back from them tomorrow. If the Analog II cables are as advertised, they "should" make my kit sound a bit closer to SACD. Or not. . .

Brands aside, you are quite right: I need to upgrade my CD player - but I can't afford a stand-alone CD unit - must have SACD and DVD-video as well.

So - I'll keep on keeping on. With kindest regards to your gorgeous child-bride,

LR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1275
No, no Larry. The bride part came much later if you are referring to my NZ story. Well, maybe not much later, but later.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4648
Thanks, all.

Mud flow nothing to do with us, I promise. We are in S. Island. Yesterday we saw Southern Royal Albatross and Yellow-Eyed Penguins. What a place.

Thanks for the reply on the Rega Apollo thread, M.R.! Much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6446
John A., JV
Couldn't stand the weather, Steven Ray Vaughn, 1975.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1823
MR - paths crossing - your bride belongs next to your stereo - not John's NZ story. Hmm. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1824
I can't keep anything straight anymore. Sigh.

(OK, OK - go ahead - make a joke here!)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1279
No joke Larry, my friend. Sorry for the confusion. However, now I'm a bit confused:

I have just compared 2 channel SACD on the Denon 3910 to the CD layers on the Apollo.

The Albums and tracks:

Monty Alexander's "Stir It Up" - T4 - Could You Be Loved.

Poncho Sanchez - "Out Of Sight" - T1 - One Mint Julep.

Diana Krall - "When I look in your Eyes" - T1, Let's Face the Music and Dance. T2 Devil May Care, and T5 - Popsicle Toes. I have this on both SACD and CD so I used the CD for comparison and not the CD layer.

What's confusing is that I expected better of the 2 channel SACD tracks. The redbook tracks were more musical to me on the Apollo than the SACD tracks on the 3910. I kid you not - all of them. The difference was a very, very minimal, but was there. The Apollo seems to have slightly more pace, a tad more detail and was little more controlled in the bass. Overall, it was a touch more dynamic, but not brighter or louder. That's about the best I can descibe what I heard.

My theory is that SACD requires very top notch players to bring out the best in them. I do notice that on the universal 3910, the SACD layer is a little better than that of the redbook, however, imho, the Apollo wins over both.

"Yesterday we saw Southern Royal Albatross and Yellow-Eyed Penguins. What a place."

In the wild or the Dunedin Zoo, John?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1826
MR - what you have here is a case of single-mindedness in gear.
Do you remember the old movie: "City Slickers," where the old cowboy Curly is asked for his secret to success. He just holds up one finger. Indicating, of course, that one should adhere to a single course of action to succeed.

That's where the Apollo shines over most any multi-format player, I should think. Focus on one circuit, one capacitor, whatever. . .

Believe me, if the Apollo played both SACD and redbook CD, I might dig around in the kitty for some spare change! But it doesn't, and so I must remain in the multi-player camp. Sigh.

Then again, Mr. Rantz, I must remember that you, and Mer and apparently most of the Dawgs have more acute hearing than I seem to have. You talk of pace and detail - when I find it hard to get below the level of "screech, hum and rasp." (grin)

The SS analogs are gone - and today I await some e-mails before deciding whether to order up a set of Signal Cable analogs (or analogues). I think if I could get just a LITTLE more warmth and smoothness I might be relatively satisfied. For now, anyway. . .(snicker)

Have a calm night and a bright tomorrow

LR

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4333
Remember Larry that MR stated that the Apollo bettered SACD playback on his Denon with CD layer on the same discs. Meaning that the only ones that would not be usable are the SACD non Hybrid discs. I don't own any of those and I can't imagine that you have very many.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10048

"Yesterday we saw Southern Royal Albatross and Yellow-Eyed Penguins."

What?! No robins?

"Do you remember the old movie: "City Slickers," where the old cowboy Curly is asked for his secret to success. He just holds up one finger. Indicating, of course, that one should adhere to a single course of action to succeed."

Hmmm, I thought that meant visit your proctologist on a regular basis. He was wearing a glove, wasn't he?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1827
Jan: (hahahahaha) well, guess he WAS wearing a glove, though leather, not rubber. (double grin)
Good one. . .

Art: I did get a bit tangled in MR's description of his audition - but in the end he says Apollo uber allis, so I guess the man's a goner, eh? (grin)

My cable research continues, and I'm settling on Belden 89259 wire for interconnects. Many companies use it, under their own brand. Signal Cables Analog II is 89259, for example.
I can get it at Blue Jeans cables for a lot less, and with premium Canare RCA connectors. So I will. . .

Sigh - the more I learn the less I know.

LR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10056

Head to the second hand store, Larry.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/system_3.html

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1829
Jan: I guess I just don't understand. . .

as

usual.

LR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10057

I'm trying to help here, Larry. Try this.

http://www.feed24.com/go/33018675

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1832
Jan: Thanks for the, uh, help. Not sure what I'd do with one, but heck, I need and welcome all kinds of info.

Tomorrow, the washer repair mope comes, and I have to away to Home Depot for a new bathroom faucet. Sigh. then maybe I can concentrate on sound. . . .

Maybe. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4649
M.R. In the wild. Seriously! All the best.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1282
Hope you had the camera on hand John. Wonderful. Actually, it was at the Dunedin Zoo where the waste from a King Condor landed in the hood of my parka. Well, maybe it wasn't a King Condor, but the amount suggested something larger than the average bird. Great place - remember on the south island you have to ask for beacon and iggs for breakfast otherwise you mightn't be understood. Enjoy the getaway both of you.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1834
ProGold users - if you've tried to find some recently and have failed - it's because it is now "DeoxITGold" name's been changed. I just got some. . .great stuff!

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1420
Jan, have you tried the Playstation as a cdp?
if so, thoughts?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10060

Not yet, I'm looking for one to try.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10061

I saw a newer model today and noted the Play Station uses the spring loaded ball clamping mechanism similar to several high end CD players. This is the same style transport that was employed on the old Radio Shack portable model I used as a main system transport for a number of years and it offered sound well above its price range. It all starts with the transport. Nothing I've seen so far has been over $30 and I've got a lead on a first generation unit. We'll see if it pans out.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1835
Jan: I'm intrigued. Read your link, and although I've heard about the Playstations, I know nothing of them.

Why are they - or WERE they - such good music CD players? And wouldn't the new ones be even better?

Let us know when you find one and how it really sounds and works, please.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10067

What I've linked to is all I can find on the internet regarding the Play Station as an audiophile source. I've done a Yahoo search. If you'd like to try another search engine and can find more results, please fill me in on the details. From what I can gather, the first generation players utilized CD-ROM drives which were later replaced by DVD drives as new models arrived on the market. We all know the general performance of a DVD drive. Yet, CD-ROM transports on the whole are apparently where the most accurate disc reading takes place and would appear to be the reason many high end players gravitate towards something other than the ubiquitous Sony, Philips & Toshiba CD or DVD drives. The DIY'ers quite often use an external CD-ROM drive fed to an outboard DAC rather than rely on the run of the mill CD player. Most of these systems end up with minimal cost and claimed high end performance. I believe you'll find virtually all CD-ROM drives use the spring loaded clamping mechanisms.

From what I've seen on the used market around Dallas, all the trade in Sony Play Stations have the spring loaded hub clamp. The major observable and cursory difference between generations would be the output connections. Apparently only the first generation players provided RCA outputs for the audio signal, though of a quality commensurate with the intended usage. All the other players I've seen have a multi-pin plug and jack output connection with a captive lead out of extremely questionable character. This cheesy bit of cable will certainly impact audio performance and would require some surgery to convert to any other output format. The articles point to the feeling among some users that the oldest players, those with RCA outs, also have superior performance in the DAC's and therefore they are a step ahead of the other players. Whether this is truly a case of Sony learning how to make the players more cheaply in consecutive generations (anyone think that's how Sony does business?) or all this amounts to just one more of audiophilia's "I have something you don't" is anyone's guess at this point. The players I've found, all later generation units, are selling for well under $50 and I was told at The Salvation Army Store the first generation players typically leave the shop for $10. At that price as little experimentation can be afforded.

Once more into the breech ...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10068

I should also note, the players seem to be extremely unfriendly in regards to conventional amenities found on even the lowest priced consumer CD players. Whether or not a video screen would be required to access tracks and perform the most basic playback functions is something no thrift shop owner can tell me. As it stands one of the most "analog like" aspects of the Play Station as a CD drive is its start at the beginning and listen until its over nature. If you like to program CD's or skip tracks while playing, a Play Station might not be your cup 'o tea. If I find anything different, I'll let you know.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1843
Thanks, Jan - it would appear, in this case, that one steps back to step forward. . .

Meanwhile - can "music cards" that you slip into a slot and play a symphony or jazz concert be far in the future?

Verne's cohort has a home-made one that he's in the process of trying to patent. But he won't tell me more than it's a flash memory device that, according to him, "sounds so much better than a CD I can't believe it." Hmm. . .

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1636
I owned a Playstation in college and used it for a little while as a CD player until I bought a dedicated one. My first foray into 'HiFi' came when I bought a NAD 304 from my mentor. I used my Playstation as a CD player, and connected a pair of in the infamous "White Van Speakers." I then bought a pair of PSB bookshelves and later bought a dedicated CD player; a NAD 523 CD changer, which is still my current CD player.

My Playstation was probably one of the first generation players. I'm not 100% sure though. I got it about a year or two after it debuted.

As far as operation goes, the Playstation is easiestly controlled by an onscreen display. The OSD will show track numbers, play, pause, rewind, etc. All of the basics. I don't remember if it had track programming.

These can also be controlled by the wired controller. I can't remember which button on the controller controlled which functions, but all of the essential functions can be controlled by the wired controller. A wireless controller may be more convenient if available and cost effective.

I didn't use the dedicated RCAs on the back. The output wire the Playstation used had a USB type plug on one end and three male RCA terminated connectors on the other for audio left, right, and video. I connected the audio L and R to my 304.

At the time I figured the Playstation was a good CD player. I was under the 1's and 0's all sound the same camp. My mentor who is part of the source first camp strongly advised buying a dedicated CD player. He said to A/B them, and if their wasn't a difference, bring the CD player back.

When I compared the two, the NAD CD player blew the Playstation away. There wasn't a single thing the Playstation did that the NAD didn't do significantly better. Noise floor, imaging, timbre, etc.

Maybe my Playstation wasn't part of the first generation. If it was, maybe the sound quality is significantly better out of the RCAs on the back. If you can pick one up for a few bucks, it should be interesting to see what happens.

Funny thing is, the first time I saw the Apollo's lid opened, I immediately thought of the Playstation.

A couple of more thoughts...
The Playstation as a great CD player seems a little too much like an underground conspiracy theory to me - The superior music playing ability was hidden in the Playstation because they could sell millions of them to recover the R&D costs. This makes some sense.

After the first run, they knew they a winner on their hands and changed the design. Why? The second generation reportedly used a DVD rom, which would change the musical performance. But then again, it isn't a music first machine, so that does make sense.

But here's the downfall to the conspiracy IMO... If it was such a great CD player and outperformed $6000 players like the article states, why didn't Sony develope it into a dedicated CD player? If they weren't interested, why didn't they sell the design to someone else? Who really killed kennedy?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1845
Stu: Good points - good questions!

Sony forever has brought out CD player after player after player. IF the unit in the Playstation was/is as good as many are claiming, surely SOMEBODY at Sony would have said: "hey, this is great! Let's put this in a metal box and sell it to the audiophiles for $4,000!

Well - they didn't, and I'm hoping that Jan's experiments bring around some first-hand facts.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1639
"...hey, this is great! Let's put this in a metal box and sell it to the audiophiles for $4,000!"

I was thinking this as well Larry. But then again, how many audiophiles take anything by Sony seriously and would fork out $4000 for a Sony product? I think it would probably be much more successful if sold under a different name like Krell, McIntosh, Esoteric, etc.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1847
Hmmmm - you're right, Stu. But - has the Playstation "snuck out" into the real world under any brand name?

Don't suppose it's the Rega Apollo do you? Nah, but it's an idea. . .(grin)

And there are some people who have bought Sony stuff for a LOT of money - don't they have a really hi-end player out? Not sure. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1848
Stu: Yeah, found it -

the Sony SCD-XA9000ES - CD and SACD:

$3,000 - and worth it? Who knows?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1640
New conspiracy theory -

The Rega Apollo and Saturn are re-badged Sony Playstation Ones. The Apollo is the Playstation One, and the Saturn is a tuned-up Playstation One. Rega doesn't want to say who 'helped' design the operating software. If they did, it would give it away. They are very similar in their top loading and transport designs.

Rega simply put them in nicer cases, added wireless remotes, and gave them digital outputs.

Going back to what I said earlier, they wouldn't be taken as seriously if the had Sony badges on them. Give them a Rega badge, and instant audiophile street cred.

Sound crazy?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1642
Our posts crossed Larry. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the Apollo is a rebadged Playstation.

We should go on other message boards and spread our conspiracy.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1285
"I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the Apollo is a rebadged Playstation."

Actually Stu - I really think you are. {grin}

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1643
I'm trying to start a conspiracy Rantz. I want to see how far it'll go.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1286
Oops - Sorry Stu, yeah the Apollo: a Playstation in Rega clothing.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4348
And to think they could have gone in together and called it the Regastation Apollo and Regastation Saturn. Kind of has that Star Trek feel dontcha think.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1429
Email me you address if you like Art. I will send you that CD. I am feeling generous.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1849
New movie: 2007 - a Regastation Odyssey! Falls trippingly off the tongue, eh? Hmm. . . .

But how do we know that the Apollo is NOT a revamped Playstation 1? Eh? How do we know - for sure!

Stu is right - I think there is more to this than meets the audiophile-eye!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1288
"But how do we know that the Apollo is NOT a revamped Playstation 1?"

I know, but I can't tell you. It would spoil Stu's conspiracy.

BTW Stu - do you have a good lawyer?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1851
MR - schusssh now! Don't spoil things for Stu (and me) OK?
You Aussies can be such spoil-sports! (double grin)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1852
BTW - new Belden 89259 wire is a hit.

Probably nothing the likes of Jan, Michael or Art would ever use - but it really "sings" on my system.

Letting it "cook" overnight - though frankly I've never bought into cable "burn-in." I think our ears just adjust to it in time. . .

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1289
Glad to hear you like the cables Larry - that's all that matters.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1853
MR - yeah, the cables, uh, but what I'm liking even more than "the cables" is the music that sneaks out of them. Much better detail, and the whole rig just sounds, well, "more natural." Bettah fer me, sir! (grin)

As I've said so many times - if I had my druthers, I'd have a stereo with one big red button. Press to play, press to stop. Dat's it. Music is what matters. . .

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1290
You're darn tootin' Larry. But that's what I meant - if you like what you hear - that's what matters, the music. That's exactly what our rig and its bits and pieces is allowing us to hear - we can close our eyes and make like the music is being performed in our living room. Trouble is there's not enough time in the day.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 319
Anybody know what type of video cable I can connect to my Rega Apollo?

Found some old Playstation games of my kids.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1432
What do you use a spare tone arm as the controller?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1854
MR - well, I'm getting closer. This morning I'm (again) playing some favorite chamber music - Haydn this time, and the new cables are giving me much more separation between the instruments - each one seems to stand on its own, rather than blending into a sorta musical glob, if you catch my drift.

Yep - these are keepers, and the Blue Jeans folks, as usual, did a perfect job of attaching the Canare connectors. Like this company!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1862
Art: I was again reviewing the pics of your wunnerful audio setup - and getting drool all over my computer keyboard! (grin)

I've been sorting and cleaning and throwing and keeping my CD/DVD collection - and really wanted to find some nice racks. Took your advice, looked, and looked around some more.

Finally found what I think is "right" for me. Anybody searching for CD/DVD racks, equipment racks, etc., could do a lot worse than this web site.
- - - -
http://spinkeeper.com/index.html
- - - -
I ordered up a cherry finish rack, and hope that it looks even half as nice as yours do, my friend!

My collection is sadly "down" at the moment, as I've been getting rid of a lot of very early CDs - the ones that are so tinny I just don't listen to them anymore.

But it's lots of fun to build up the collection again. Though the wallet screams! (double grin)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4398
Thanks Lar, I can't wait to replace my digital camera and take new shots of my actual speakers, May or may not be able to see the difference online but the demo's that were shot for what's now at Agon weren't finished nearly as nice as the new ones.

It's really nice to have a whole room dedicated to the music and movie library.

Buying music...I love it!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1863
Art: looking forward to pics. How about a shot of the rest of the room? I'm always interested in decor and how it fits - or not - with music listening!

Have a great week!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6526
So, whow's from oughtta town?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1663
I just thought of this now -

If anyone's looking for an old Playstation, you should have significantly better luck at video game stores like Electronic Boutique, EBX, Game Stop, etc.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4650
M.R., Yes, I took hundreds of photos, but none are audio-related. We navigated partly by LOTR locations, I have to admit. Back home now, with extreme jet lag. Two changes of "daylight saving", in opposite directions, made the whole thing even more complicated. I'll catch up with this and other threads. All the best. No views on play stations, sorry. Our sons all prefer Nintendo, that's all I know.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1313
John, good to see you and Mrs A are back safe and sound. You haven't missed much on this forum. Seems it's mostly kiddies and gutter rats now apart from the few decent stayers. I may look in and check the 'old dogs' occasionally now, but for me this forum has really gone to the pack (excuse the pun). Take care.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4651
Thanks, MR. This is still an interesting thread. I'm looking forward to Art's pics, too, Larry!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 658
Cheers John, sounds like quite a trip.

Yes, do check in occasionally MR. That's the way I seem to be doing it lately.

Jet lag coming for Mrs. Sem and I as well. Leaving for Madrid this morning. Will check back next month.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4652
Bon voyage, Sem!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6603
Sem, a safe trip and John A., the UK is better off with you there!

Fellow traveller.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4653
Thanks, Nuck. NZ is really something. Australia is great, but cross the Tasman Sea, too, and it's like another world.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4654
Apple to Offer Higher Quality DRM-Free Music on iTunes
Apple has announced that EMI Music's entire digital catalogue of music will be available for purchase DRM-free (without digital rights management) from the iTunes Store in May. DRM-free tracks from EMI will be offered at higher quality 256 kbps AAC encoding, resulting in audio quality indistinguishable from the original recording. [Apr 2]

256 kbps AAC predicted here a while ago....! It will cost a little extra compared to the current 128 kbps.

This narrows the gap between HiFi and iPod. 245 kbps is very close to CD-quality, in my experience.

The entire EMI Music Catalogue includes, for example, The Beatles.

There is still the difference in cultures. See Portable MP3 Players on this forum. I'll post an edited version of this message there, and see how it goes.

I think this announcement heralds a change in the way in which many people acquire and listen to recorded music.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4656
The EMI angle:-

EMI Music launches DRM-free superior sound quality downloads across its entire digital repertoire
EMI Group CEO Eric Nicoli today hosted a press conference at EMI's headquarters in London where he announced that EMI Music is launching DRM-free superior quality downloads across its entire digital repertoire and that Apple's iTunes Store will be the first online music store to sell EMI's new downloads. Nicoli was joined by Apple CEO Steve Jobs...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1314
John - I see this as a shot in the arm for music downloaders, but I think it is a shot in the back for those who (a) like to have their music on a tangible format with provided information and (b) who like music sound quality. Okay, new download technology may be upping the ante with SQ, but I see the process as a hassle and in the end, it will imho, create a world of mediocre sound where music will become more of what is so excrutiatingly popular today.

The icing on the download cake of course is for the industry gurus like Jobs and his cohorts. The bottom line is always the same and it's not for the likes of us.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6622
And itunes is now under accusation from the EU. Something to do with monopolization.

I wonder where Jobs learned that?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4659
I prefer discs, too. It's just that some of the objections to downloading are countered.

The EU is against Apple restricting iTunes downloads to country, with different prices. Only within the EU of course. UK is most expensive, apparently. EU objecting to cartels. Whatever next. They practically invented the idea.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6626
http://q107.com/media/?id=cilqfm&category=Interview

If this link works, it is to an interview just before 'On An Island'.

And a few more, with interviewer Jeff Woods.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 334
Link worked perfectly, too bad there wasn't a video clip. Oh well, doesn't look like we will be seeing Pink Floyd in concert anytime soon as without Gilmore, much like without Waters, it would not be what we would want as Pink Floyd.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1318
Below is a photo of one of the old dogs taking a walk in the park with a few friends. See if you can pick him . . .

Upload

No, it's not John A, but it is an English Mastiff and he's only 3 yrs old. The blurb stated the dog was not overfed nor had a special diet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6632
What a regal animal!

Honey, company is coming. Clean up the yard?

Uhh Ohh.

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 181
photoshop you think????

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 336
I think so that horse looks rather smallish.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1868
Flash! Our Oregonian-friend Art may be vindicated in his zealous purging of Z-6 from the surface of his beloved CD collection!
You may remember that he thought the Z-6 made his music a tad harsh when being initiated by his wunnerful Rega player?
Wellllllll - Mer's illustrious art-sleuth friend happened to come over to our house on Tuesday evening. The two ladies discussed pigments and light refraction and reflection - and then joined me for some libation in the living/listening room.
That started - or re-started - the conversation regarding light-bounce on CDs.

Well, she became even more fascinated than before, and she returned last night (Thursday) with some lasers, a large box with three flat-black sides and an open front, another of her "flat-light" generators, and a large and very powerful microscope mounted on a metal arm - that she uses to detect art forgeries, etc.

I didn't understand all that she did, but we got several CDs from my collection (made no difference what music) and then I cleaned each one, first with Dawn, then with Z-14.

Then, I coated HALF of the discs with Z-6, and she began her experiments.

By aiming the laser(s) at various angles to the CD, and by looking somewhat down, but mainly across the CD surface, we could see (through the microscope) the laser beam as it went into the CD and bounced back.

The interesting part came when we compared the light-bounce from the Z-14-cleaned disc to the second half of the disc, treated with Z-6.

It appeared that the Z-6 acted as a sort-ah "mirror," that allowed the laser light to bounce off the CD's reflective surface and back out into the air - but also bounced a portion of that light back down to the disc surface.
In other words, the light split into two phases - and we could see a sort of "glow" where the laser kept part of its light bouncing around between the disc surface and the reflective layer underneath.

What this indicated to me is that there is some sort of "jitter" occurring with the use of the Z-6 and its mirror-like aspects.

Mer's friend said it appeared to her that the light-bounce formed a condition similar to one of those barber shops that has mirrors on both walls - you know, where you look in the mirror to see a reflection of the reflection of the reflection. . .

The Z-14 sections of the discs had a much more accurate light-bounce, though a couple of the discs did have very slight secondary reflections. Hmm. . .

If this is the case, I'm wondering if this would affect the sound of the CD? Our friend could only speculate, as she's a light, not an electronics, specialist.

Anyway - ART - you may be on to something here with your CD-purging!

I've taken great pains to de-Z6 all my discs - just in case the lady's theory is correct.

OK, dawgs - the line is open for disc-cussin. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 6781
I must admit...the lengths of inspection and research leave me a bit dumbfounded, Lar.(or just dumb).
What a fine group of intellects you frequent!
Do you just, like, serve drinks?(wink).

Excellent info Lar.

The randon, or split refraction may be of no consequence at all, in fact, if the transients are not re-introduced to the pickup lens, I suppose that would depend upon the inside of the box(inner liner again) or the opacity in the peripheral of the lens itself(blinders).

The angle of attack in the test would have to ape the direction of the read laser itself, of course. This angle of dangle is unknown to me. Dawg's?

Great info, Lar, and more fodder for discussion.

Nuck

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1336
Larry, g'day to you. The experiments are interesting and all, but isn't it your ears that will decide what tweak is of value and what isn't?

Hate to be a constant Apollo promoter here, but since having it in the system, I haven't tweaked any more CD's nor do I feel the need to do so. I certainly think the Zaino helped on some CD's when running the C542, though I have no explanation for the differences other than design and innards. Say hi to Mer, will email soon.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1870
Nuck, M.R. et al: Good response(s) gents!

Some comments, please. No, this was not a true scientific experiment - we just wanted to see if there was any easily-identifiable reason behind Art's claims of sonic differences between Z6'd discs and cleaned ones.

Angles, intensities, focus - all up for grabs here, as we had no idea of inclination of laser-read on Art's player.

So - we raised questions and developed possibilities for Art's listening displeasure.

One of the real possibilities for sonic differences here is, as Rega owners readily know, is the fact that the Apollo takes time to aim and focus the laser before each play. Something my humble player does not - and most do not.

Would this make a difference with the Z6'd discs? Well, if the Z6 has some sort of mirror effect or laser-blur, it might well. I just don't know.

In the end - we had some nice wine and an interesting evening of conversation and experimentation. That's about it - questions raised, and no issue "on a soapbox."

M.R. - yes, the ears may, indeed, be the deciding factor in what tweak is of value - and in Art's case, his ears told him the Z6 was worthless.

Several new CD/SACD-only players coming on the market this year - rather exciting for me. NAD will have at least two, and there are others in the works as well. Watching closely. . .

I'm still quite pleased with my Belden and Silver Serpent wire purchases - the rig is sounded better than it ever has, and I'm just beginning to think that perhaps, maybe, possibly the proponents of "good wire makes good sound" may be "righter" than I thought for so long. Hmm. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4570
Thanks for the update Lar. You know me I always let the ears decide and the heck with the rest.

I've been involved in some cable experiments. I settled the Mira/Apollo connection a while back and have been working on a good interconnect for the XM radio...that's kind of a new trick for old dogs, don't ya think. Well anyway the competition is between Kimber Kable Timbre, Dared, Chord Silver Siren, and van den Hul D102 mk3 Hybrid. The rub being that the van den Hul is a demo and all that they have at a reduced price and it's only .8 meters. Those extra few inches make quite a difference in my system. They barely reach and it's just a bit tight. Why is that such a conundrum you might ask, because at this point they are wiping up the floor with the other interconnects. Oh boy.....

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 660
Jan, seek shelter, quick!!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10236

Thanks for the warning, Sem. Typical North Texas nasty spring storms are moving through Dallas tonight. A surge made it through my Panamax and blipped the NAD HT receiver. Unplug and reset and everything's fine for me but some other folks weren't as lucky.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6799
So the Panamax is not only worthless as protection, but dulls the sound as well?
Great deal...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10239

Consider the NAD, the TV, the DVD, the DVD recorder, the satellite receiver, the power amp and the crossover are all plugged into that one Panamax. The only unit that displayed any ill effects was the NAD which is plugged in as far from the AC entrance to the surge protector as possible and those effects were minor. This particular Panamax is now 12 years old and, as has been pointed out in another thread, the MOV's do eventually wear out as they absorb more and more shocks. No doubt, in Dallas, they have received their fair share of surges. Since ultimate sound quality is not the game in the HT room, I wouldn't go without a Panamax on that system. It just might be time to shop for a new unit, either a surge protector or a new HT receiver/processor, or both; just not at tax time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6800
That's the response I wished to garner.

Jan, can the MOV be replaced on it's own?
Or is that price dependant?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10241

Easier and simpler to just buy new. Haven't you heard? Today's surge protectors are far superior to last year's models. State of the art!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6832
Another disposable luxury.
Remember when those terms were not synonymous?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4583
Hey Larry the new pics should be up next weekend if all goes as planned. Bought the new camera this weekend, also replaced a very old computer with a new HP (with 22 inch widescreen monitor). Haven't set it all up yet as the weekend is over but hope to get a chance next weekend as Sherilyn is going to Seattle to babysit the granddaughter. Geez, I should have saved some money for Scotch...guess the old bourbon will have to do.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4584
BTW thw most recent cable shootout is over and the van den Hul D-102 mk III Hybrid was the clear winner...I had to rearrange the components to make the .8 meter size work but it was worth it. I feel that I am now getting about all I can from my XM...check's in the mail.

The guys at Eugene HiFi have been fabulous, If I ask about a product they ship it to my door...next day service, unreal. If I wanted to audition their 4K Living Voice speakers I could email or call them tomorrow and the speakers would sitting on my front porch on Tuesday when I returned home from work, really!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1761
And people out there can't figure out why we don't bother shopping on-line and finding the cheapest possible price.

Their loss...

Sounds like a great dealer Art. I doubt they'd do that if you weren't a worthy customer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us