DIY Project

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2452
Here's what I did.

I put two 4" drivers (total) each in their own 160in³ box (one a box). I then wired the woofers to the outside of the box with little hooks so I could hook on wires from the outside.

The next part was the port. I worked on making a port in the box which was a .5x3in slot port in the side of the box which was 8" long.

I finalized by making sure it was completely airtight and then hooked it to the Scott.

After some listening tests I decided the bass wasn't deep enough so I got to the next part.

Port Extensions

I had to extend the ports so I worked on extending them on the outside of the box since I didn't want to cram the inside. I extended them to 18" from 8" and then made sure it was cleanly done.

What a difference that made! I'm not sure what it's tuned to, but it now goes as deep as my sub I blew (maybe deeper, but can't get very loud due to excursion limits). Since the excursion of the drivers is relatively low (a few mm), I can't give them too much power, but the max volume I can go sounds awesome. I never knew that such small speakers could have so much deep bass! It's crazy! When I play a rap song, I hear every note of deep bass they're given!

I plan to run test tones through them in order to find their extension limits now.

Thanks for any advice on improving sound or any tips on speaker/sub building. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2453
The results are in. They reach down to 30hz and drop right off after that, so maybe not quite as deep as the sub I had (25hz, and dropped right off), but still pretty close!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us