Denon AVR-3805 is dead - no power

Username: Diychick

Post Number: 1
Worked fine one night, turned off the system and now it's not working. I'm guessing power supply or power cord? Are Denon parts readily available to swap the power supply myself? Anyone else have this problem...the unit isn't that old!

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 529
Anita,check the power cord to make sure it is inserted all the way in the receiver(if removable). Also you can open the cover on the unit but don't touch anything and locate the power supply rail fuses and visually inspect them to see if any of them are blown. These are usually near the main or secondary transformers or sometimes they are near the output transistors,as is the case with many of the HK units.The best advice is to take the unit to a competent authorized repair center for an estimate. If the unit is still under warranty then you are in luck, if not and it is the power supply then you might as well scrap the unit and move on to a new one as a replacement power supply with labor will cost at least half as much as a comparable new unit. Unless you have the MDS(manufacturers data sheets) for the unit which includes a schematic and all operational electrical parameters for the unit as well and an o-scope and a good rms multimeter and have skills with a soldering iron and a decent one at that, don't even think about doing this yourself. Some main supply caps for receivers and amps can be as high as 100V DC with nearly unlimited current as measured between the plates inside the cap and caps this large will stay charged for as long as a couple weeks after the unit is unplugged. This is quite dangerous and potentially lethal if you accidently come into contact with the leads on the caps.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 102
This is the second post this week about a Denon receiver malfunctioning. Is this indicative of their build quality?

Username: Diychick

Post Number: 2
Eric - great feedback. Thanks for your comments. I will definitely follow your advice.

David - I was thinking the same thing. I was under the impression Denon was high quality - replaced my Yamaha receiver with a Denon. Now I'm not so sure...I've seen several posts on this forum with Denon receiver problems.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 103
I was under the impression that Denon was solid too. In fact, I recently was shopping around for a new A/V receiver and the Denon AVR-787 was on my short list. I ended up going with Pioneer instead.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2164
Denon goods are as reliable as the other major brands. Obviously, it's not going to have a 100% record - nothing has. In all the time I've been on this forum, there have been perhaps 3 or 4 reports of things going wrong. That's a long time. The fact that two struck in a week is just (bad) luck.

As to advice, if it's dead it's possible the internal fuse has blown. If you decide to open the unit, ensure that it is not plugged into the wall socket. The unit has a linear power supply and there are high voltages present. It's unlikely that you can effect repairs in there, other than changing the internal fuse. Of course, if it is the internal fuse which has blown, this begs the question of what made it blow. Very often this is due to some component failure which shorts out, drawing too much current. Sometimes it's just a duff fuse, but more often it's not.

If you're interested in the innards of your AVR3805, have a look on:

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/index.php?Pid=139&action=start&ver=&p=ansicht& jump=#

Click on the left hand representations for the enlarged photos.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us