Dahlquist DQ-10 replacement woofers

Bronze Member
Username: Broosky333

Post Number: 18
i have a set of dahlquist dq-10 phased arrayed speakers, however the foam surround is extremely bad on the right speaker and just plain bad on the left....i amlooking to get some replacement woofers...anyone ahve any suggestions?

by the way, would changing the speakers mess up the phasing of the speakers? if so, would i just be better off just replacing the foam surround?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
posibly some daytons?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10455
Just have the drivers re-foamed. I would suggest a professional do the job as repairing the surrounds on a larger driver can be difficult. However, the cost of a foam kit is minimal and you have little to loose by trying it yourself. If it doesn't work out, take it to a pro.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2162
Have a look at this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/297075.html

You'll see that John Boros sent his Dahlquists back to Long Island NY to be refurbished from scratch. He's still waiting for them, but he may be able to furnish you with the info on the company. They could either do the job for you or advise you how to proceed.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
ok so refoaming seems to be the best idea?
i would like to keep the original speakers, but from where i've looked, it is somewhat expensive to have speakers refoamed, plus shipping and handling and whatnot.....i'd like to spend a little lesss money and though that maybe just replacing the speakers with these

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-315

as much as i want to keep it cheaper, would changing out the woofers for the dayton degrade the performance?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7369
yes, very much so.

Plopping in cheap one-for-all woofers make the DQ10's into something they are not.
If you like the Dalquist sound, why would you destroy it?
There are lesser speakers to bastardize.

Sending them to Long Island should not be a problem? The factory there may sell direct replacements, even.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10457

Theo - You asked if the Dayton woofers would mess up the phasing of the system, you didn't imply you didn't want to spend any amount of money on this project. Or didn't care what the speaker sounded like after you're done. By all means, go the cheap route if dollars are the most important consideration. We've all been there. Dayton woofers won't change the "phase" of the system as long as you properly connect them side to side and driver to driver. However, phase will not be what changes the sound after the new drivers are installed. How did you come to decide these drivers would work? Did you check the screw pattern and actual diameter and depth for proper fit? Did you call Parts Express to ask about the compatability of the Dayton driver with the Dalqhist's bass enclosure? You certainly compared the Qts, Vas, minimum and maximum impedance and voice coil inductance, and I'm certain you checked for frequency response to make certain they worked well into the crossover region of the original driver. And you did check the sensitivity of the drivers to make certain they would exactly match that of the original driver; didn't you? Or are you planning on doing some work on the crossover components when you replace the drivers? If all those things match and sound is not even close to the most important consideration, then I see no reason not to go the cheapest route available.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7373
'We've all been there'.

Gawd, I've ruined some good speakers over the many years.

Kind of like this.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10459

And the lesson should be; you do this to other people's speakers, not your own.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
i checks the frequency reponse of the driver...that would work, i have no specs to compare to of the original driver....i have no cpmparison...if anyone has them they would be appreciated or somewhere that sells replacement woofers made for this set up.....performance and keeping the SQ is my main objective....if i can go cheap and keep them sounding awsome then i will but if not, i will work a little extra for the money i need and get them fixed the way they need to be....i don't want to mess up good speakers like these...i liek em a lot

Gold Member

Post Number: 7382
Lemme find John Boros for you, Theo, he has the addy for Dalquist.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10462

" ... i will work a little extra for the money i need and get them fixed the way they need to be.... "

Yeah, do that. Just remember, cheap is always cheap but dressed up changes everything.

"i liek em a lot"

Didn't know you were Swedish.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
lol i am known for my horrible typing on one of the car audio forums

Gold Member

Post Number: 7384
Gee, there's a shock, Theo.hehehe

I am known for MY horrible typing because I'm dyslexic, so there.
I emailed JB, asking him to look in here.

I really would put the proper drivers in there,Theo. Those speaks are too good to be banjaxed.

Bronze Member
Username: Drj

Post Number: 78
Theo,

I'm in the same situation, although I opted to send the DQ10's back to the original factory, for a complete rebuild.

The woofers are 10" Advents. If you do a search, you should find technical information about them.

This place, even supplies rebuilt parts/kits:

http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/prod03.htm

The factory also supplies rebuild parts:

http://www.regnar.com/

If you want to do it on the cheap, you can remove the original woofers, send them to Regnar and have them refoamed; it's not expensive.

These Advents, like the DQ10's, were considered innovative, in their day. If you replace them with something else, you're going to change the overall sound from its original intended design. You won't know how it will work out until after you're done.

If money is the main issue, I'd just send the woofers in for a refoaming.

Generally, the woofers, and two mids need attention. The tweeters and horns are usually problem free.

Also, there's an upgrade kit for the crossover, with new caps and a few other changes.

My speakers arrived in the plant this past Monday. I should have them back by the end of July. The complete overhaul, with all tweaks, is $1,200 (a small price, I think, for this level of audio). But, if you want to do some of the grunt work yourself, disassembling and shipping the speakers, alone, you'll save considerably.

I hope this is helpful.

If you have any more questions:

jsjb@sympatico.ca

And, good luck!

John

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10464

Theo - If you don't have the specs for the original drivers, you cannot simply pick drivers out of a catalog and expect good results. I would strongly suggest you pull the drivers and send them to be re-foamed. Then inquire about crossover components that might require change out or could improve the performance of the speaker system. Time to dust of the ol' credit card, Theo.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10465

Theo - If you don't have the specs for the original drivers, you cannot simply pick drivers out of a catalog and expect good results. I would strongly suggest you pull the drivers and send them to be re-foamed. Then inquire about crossover components that might require change out or could improve the performance of the speaker system. Time to dust off the ol' credit card, Theo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7386
Agreed. After John has chimed in with his price(full refurb, cabs and all!) it points out, again, what a valued pair the DQ10's are.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
i don't have the money for the complete overhaul...i just need the woofers redone....i will look into it ASAP
thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us