Boston Acoustics A200 Vintage Speakers - Questions

Username: Notsoblue

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of BA A200's that I am trying to sell. They're great speakers, in great condition, sound incredible. Anyone familiar with these? What should I sell them for, and where? I'm in Boulder, CO and do not want to have to ship them anywhere - they are very big and heavy.

Thank you kindly in advance,
Jessy

Username: Vlane16

Bridgehampton, NY USA

Post Number: 1
I would love to know the answer to your question. I have a pair of BA A150's...also in great condition that I would like to sell. I would be grateful for any information you may receive.
Valerie

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10441

I'm very familiar with the BA's. I sold the line and own a pair of original 200's. They are, however, a speaker that only another original Boston fan would care to own at this point in time. They were unique for their day, more than twenty five years ago, and they are not designed with current ideas for speaker shape and size. This makes the BA's largely unsuitable for many applications such as home theater and quality-wise they really aren't up to what is available for a few hundred dollars compared to contemporary designs for pure audio use. Their advantage is in the depth and quality of bass response but they can be bettered by most decent speakers today from that range upward. They are a speaker that was very nice for the dollar spent twenty five years ago but they are not classic designs unless you are an Andy Petite freak (the original designer for BA and several other Boston area companies). The foam woofer surrounds on vintage East Coast speakers have a tendency to rot and will be a concern for anyone who knows the speaker. Due to their size and weight, I think the best thing would be to list the speakers on a site such as Audiogon, sell only for local pickup and hope for the best. They would make nice starter speakers for someone who doesn't require extremely high volume levels. Not much else. You can sell them to a site such as Audio Classics, but the money you will get and the cost of shipping will probably make it less desirable to do so. Really, a twenty five year old speaker that isn't considered a classic design (such as a JR/Rogers, Spendor, Quad, Magnepan, etc.) isn't going to bring much on the resale market and these speakers only retailed for $800/pr. when they were new in 1978. Unfortunately, no one considers at the time of purchase what they will do with the speakers when they want to move on. Good luck.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us