Speaker stand info needed

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 474
I'm up for purchasing some good stands. Currently my small bookshelf speakers are at 100cm high, with good results as this is my listening height. I dont want them lower, maybe 90cm is ok. So some 100cm/1000mm stands will be suitable.
2 questions:

1) Are the atacama nexus 10 stands any good?
2) How do the speakers attach to the stands? Won't they fall off if just placed on top?

Any suggestions for stands are welcome as long as they dont look cumbersome.

Thankyou!!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1847
What are your speakers?

Different speakers interact differently with different stands. Some speakers like a very heavy mass loaded stand. Others prefer a very light yet ridgid stand.

That's the only advice I've got, having never owned bookshelves nor stands.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1848
Let me correct that, I did own a very large bookshelf speaker a while back - PSB Century 500i. I had small MDF stands that my dealer practically gave me at the time. Both the speaker and stand were at the end of their production run.

Which brings me to another point - what does your dealer recommend? What did you they demo the speakers with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
They're wharfedale diamond 8.1s-small bookshelf speakers which I've had for nearly a year and still like them. I dont have dealer as Im a student and dont have a car to get about sadly.

MDF stands sound very cheap! I did find a website that sold very very nice wooden speaker stands but damn it-i forgot the site!!

I just want to space my speakers out so they're not up against a wall like currently so the sound is more spacious, Im just wondering if theres some particular stands I should know about.

Can you tell me how speakers sit on the stands, do they have screw which go into the speakers or what?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 568
Blue Tack works well and is fairly inexpensive.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 569
As far as stands go, a decent set of fillable metal stands works well. You can choose how much to fill it from there to meet Stu's recommendation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
BLUE TACK? lol. Are you serious, it seems very crude. I suppose its better than putting holes in my speakers. I just know that with high volume, one speaker vibrates and actually moves. (the one on a windowsill, the other on a stack of books is fine). But bare in mind I have the balance set about half 9 left to the one on the window sill because of awkard placement so more power will be going to that speaker. Yep i'll certainly fill them with something. I'll experiment on that one.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 570
Yup, I'm serious. Its crude, but very effective.

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
I'll try it when I get the stands next month (hopefully).
Cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us