Outlaw audio reliability

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10428

What is the reliability of the Outlaw Audio products you've owned and how does their customer service stack up should repairs or service/updates be required?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14031
I can't say about reliability as I have not had them long, about 3 years. But customer service was top notch. Got an e-mail and a phone call from them after delivery and courtesy call after about a month.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4743
Same here. I didn't have my Outlaw gear long so I don't know about reliability but can say with confidence that the customer service both before and after the purchase was outstanding. Ofcourse as we all know, you really don't how good customer service is until it's tested by adversity...so in that sense I don't know how they would perform. I suggest hanging around the Outlaw saloon, they may be biased but at least it's another source of info.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 92
Can't really comment on reliability since I've only had my 2200 for 3 months, but I can vouch for it's build quality. It has an industrial strength feel to it, like you could drop it off your roof and it would still work.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10431

Wow! Three months without problems!!! Sure beats this p.o.c. NAD I own. I ordered the 970 pre/pro. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4744
Hope you enjoy your NAD gear Jan.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 105
They're a boiler room operation with an interesting history living on past laurels compared to the rest of the contemporary market.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 93
Say again?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
David, if you are referring to me, my comments were regarding NAD. I called them a boiler room operation.

If you have any insights, information or opinions on NAD or the Lenbrook Group, please advise, as I would be happy to lean something.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 101
Yes, thanks... I wasn't sure if you were referring to NAD or Outlaw. I have equipment from both NAD and Outlaw, and I'm actually more impressed with the build quality of the Outlaw over NAD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
David, good, we're all here to learn something - or some one's opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Avnovice

Post Number: 12
Jan, I thought you were tubular.

What's up with the NAD?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10469

Tubes are in the main two channel system, this is the ht gear. The NAD has never impressed me with its quality (I've run the processor/pre amplifier into my older HK five channel amplifier) and it has had various problems along the way. It's only about three years old but it has suffered through several Dallas storms. With nothing more than a two conductor AC cord, there is nowhere to effectively dump surges. The problems are now numerous and aren't being addressed by a system reset. I'm not interested in putting money into repairing this receiver. The new Outlaw processor is in place and the sound is much better. A new surge protector will hopefully give this unit a longer life than the NAD. I just had to replace my central AC though and I wasn't looking to buy new ht equipment. Oh, well, I now have better sound in the ht room so I can't complain too much. I'm crossing my fingers for the Outlaw since it also only has a two conductor AC cable.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7393
Jan, did you know about the 2 prong power cable on the 970 before you bought it? Is your surge protector just the garden variety?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10472

To my knowledge no one lists the number of poles on their AC cable in any spec sheet I've found. Unfortunately, most home audio gear beneath a certain price range uses what amounts to not much more than zip cord no matter how they dress it up. The NAD and the Outlaw both have detatchable cables but that still doesn't alter the configuration of the power supply.

The old surge protector was a twelve year old Panamax that had absorbed numerous surges throughout its life (the result of being in Dallas), it just finally wore down to the point of being less effective. The Panasonic DVD recorder also had some damage to its microprocessor, but it's cheap to begin with. I remain less than a fan of many of NAD's choices.

The new surge protector is a top o' the line Belden. But it doesn't matter whose surge protector you buy if the equipment is using a shared ground/neutral. The only way to effectively shunt surges and faults to ground is to have a dedicated ground line at the equipment's incoming power source. My $59 1/2" drill has it; why not more home audio equipment? Certainly why not a $700+ receiver or processor? Not to sound conspiratorial, but this is another part of built in obsolescence and building to the lowest dollar rather than the highest performance. "Audiophiles" spend hundreds on their various cables but typically pay no attention to the basics of AC. I suspect if you asked, most people with "better" cables wouldn't know how to explain how lifting the shield at one end of an interconnect works, or that their cables actually do this in many cases. Then there are the people who cynically question why cables are "directional" without even understanding cables have the shields lifted. It is no wonder engineers laugh at what we do in the pursuit of good sound. It is also no wonder why an engineer walking into an audio shop will clear the floor of salespeople. (Remember, I used to sell in a shop across the street from McDonald Doulgas's headquarters. What fun that was at lunch time.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7399
Agreed that most folks (engineers in particular) have no clue as to SQ. Neither do I, although I know better, I cannot quantify the sound. In words, at least.

Engineers would look at numbers, values, charts and graphs, and decide from there.

Maybe Jones is an engineer!
An emotionless automiton, bred on logic and science, devoid of human emotion, and definately lacking in the feel and humanity of music.

But I digress.
How's the 970 anyhow, Jan?
Is the Bass management up to par?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10474

Seems to be. Pretty basic stuff here. This week has been too hectic to even care about hifi.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7403
Post back with some response after you get to play with the Outlaw a bit?

Bronze Member
Username: Avnovice

Post Number: 13
Ouch

A few of us can feel the music despite the numbers. We just need to listen more.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1200
The Outlaw 970 uses a two pronged power cord without a ground? I assume their power amps have a ground, seems pretty rediculous to me the year is 2007, not 1987.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 507
Check out the brute!!!
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/358301.html

Newest amp from Outlaw
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us