Dynaudio Focus 140/ 1.3se comparison

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 28
I currently have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers and have an opportunity to get a pair of 1.3se. Any thoughts as to a comparison of these two would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2143
I never directly compared the two but my impression is that I think I would prefer the 1.3SE, provided the amplifier used to drive them is a fairly powerful beast. The 1.3SE doesn't suffer less capable electronics. The 140s are a bit easier on the amp.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Frank,
I was hoping you would respond, as I have read numerous posts from you in the past regarding Dyn's.
I use a Musical Fidelity a308 integrated amp. Perhaps my memory is faulty but it seems that I read in one of your past posts that this amp is not your particular taste. Apart from its sonic characteristics do you think the a308 is up to driving the 1.3e's.
I appreciate your honest feedback.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2147
I'm sorry but I don't know the A308. I've looked on MF's site to check the specifications and the numbers look good, so on paper it should be able to do them justice, but I honestly couldn't say for certain.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Thanks for the reply Frank. After further consideration I am hesitant to go for the 1.3se's. From some other things I have read the last couple of days they may present a problem regarding placement in my living room. The bass may be too boomy if not placed further away from the wall than I currently have the 140's. Although the 140's are rear ported also and placement is a concern, I don't think they are as sensitive as the 1.3se's in that regard.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2151
That's true. 1.3ses really need a minimum of 24 inches behind them otherwise they will cause the room to rock...the wrong way.

Also, if you're happy with the 140s, there seems little point in going to 1.3ses. better to concentrate on the source and get that in the next league up in terms of performance. Then they'll really swing.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Frank,
My source is the a308 cd player. The sound I have now is satisfying. What little I had read about the 1.3se's was highly laudable so I thought I would check into them. I could have upgraded for not too much money after selling the 140's. Thanks for the responses.
Bill
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us