System tuning Tips.. How to get the best sound out of ur spks?

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 173
1.Be certain your speakers are precisely aligned
2.Be sure your speakers are spiked correctly
3.Clean/tighten all connections
4.Keep cables away from one another
5.Get the cables off the floor
6.Clean your CD's
7.Reduce vibrations
8.Replace AC wall outlets
9.Check AC Polarity
10.Eliminate static on cables
11.Condition AC power
12.Clean your ears.
The ear drains away excess wax. Occasionally, a build-up can harden and block the ear canal, causing inflammation, irritation and even hearing loss.
13.Demagnetize CD's
14.Damp the first reflection points in your room
15.Tighten driver-mounting hardware
16.Analog

With these tweaks ur system will sound much better..

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4729
You should at least give credit to where you found that Shane. We know it didn't come from you.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7276
A big scramble there for positions #1 through #16.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7277
#8 in particular, which seems simple enough, but encompasses so much more.

#16 is juuuuust a tab ambiguous, Shane. Could you not type the rest of the infomation?

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
come on art, very well did come from me.. I was just playin u guys for a long time...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7280
Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh....

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
Be certain to replace all the outlets on a circuit. Since all are in series with one another, as a poor connection at any of the remaining outlets can add resistance, introducing noise into the system. Further, unplug everything but system components from the circuit feeding your audio or video system (appliances, lamps, computers, etc.). The system needs all the capability a typical 15 Amp circuit can deliver, plus other items can induce noise.

Analog is all about tuning.There are many areas to tweak in the search for better performance At the very least, cartridge alignment, including overhang, azimuth, tracking force and vertical tracking angle should all be checked annually.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1199
ok, so how do you keep cables away from eachother and what the hell is that supposed to mean? get cables off the floor? i didnt know that wood, tile, vinyl or carpet had the ability to interfere with electrical signals. how do you eliminate the static electricity ON a cable? isnt the whole point of the wire jacket to eliminate static? i didnt know that rubber designed to be neutral could retain a charge. like nuck said the last point is utterly ambiguous. analog vs digital in what respect? amplification, pre-amp, source, signal, what? if you want to use other people's ideas atleast have some understanding of them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7281
Shane, if all outlets(sic) were in series with one another, you would have no neutral in a standard 120v North American circuit.

Wanna try parallel?

Wanna get a clue?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4730
Apparently he's still playin' us...lol!

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
#5 Get the cables off the floor. There are a number of theories surrounding this tweak, but the most plausible focus on the areas of vibration and static electricity. Decoupling the cables from the floor reduces structure-borne vibrations that can reduce focus and cause audible "smearing." Static charges present in
carpet (and other flooring materials) couple to the cable, resulting in increased background noise and grain.

Cut an empty paper towel (or toilet paper) tube into 2 -- 3" lengths(experiment)
Use these to raise all cables off the floor, and as spacers to separate cables from one another. Better systems will often benefit from this tweak, realizing improved detail, air and transparency

Replace AC wall outlets. The "cheesy" residential grade outlets in your wall are a significant impediment to optimum performance. Designed for use with lamps, table radios and other mundane household appliances, residential grade outlets are simply not up to the task of serving of a high-end audio or video system.

Note: be certain to replace all the outlets on a circuit. Since all are in series with one another, as a poor connection at any of the remaining outlets can add resistance, introducing noise into the system. Further, unplug everything but system components from the circuit feeding your audio or video system (appliances, lamps, computers, etc.). The system needs all the capability a typical 15 Amp circuit can deliver, plus other items can induce noise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Try from the start art... all the way....

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Right from the start art... all the way....

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Lightin up guys I know how it feels to get fooled... take a chill pill.....

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1200
shane, you still have not explained any of your so called tweeks that are being questioned. you are turning into the village idiot randy with your half-baked tweeks and lack of explainations. explain what is in question in more detail and maybe we will take you more seriously.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
Check AC Polarity.

Variations in residential AC wiring, and the internal connection schemes inside our components, can cause errant currents to flow between system components (through the interconnects). This condition can modulate the ground reference of each consecutive gain stage, causing audible degradation. Proper AC polarity alignment is achieved by registering the chassis potential to ground. Rather than delving into detail here

Eliminate static on cables

The static build-up on the cable jacket interferes with the signal being carried by the conductors within, resulting in increased background noise and grain. Simply wiping the cables down every few weeks with a non-invasive anti-static material
that static build-up on the cable jacket interferes with the signal being carried by the conductors within, resulting in increased background noise and grain. Simply wiping the cables down every few weeks with a non-invasive anti-static material..

Condition AC power. The AC line conditioner has become an essential component in a modern audio or video system. The high-resolution performance of modern high-end gear, and the decreasing quality of the AC line, has made line conditioning a mandatory requirement for achieving optimum performance. There exist a vast array of excellent quality units to fit most every application and budget.
select a circuit unshared with major appliances, then unplug everything from the circuit except for the audio/video system.

Damp the first reflection points in your room. Reflections in the listening environment can play havoc with audio quality, especially imaging. Sound waves bounce off nearby surfaces, arriving at the listener after the direct sound from the speakers. The arrival time and the intensity of these reflections classify them as beneficial or detrimental. First reflection points are of particular interest as their proximity to the listener is close, thus the intensity of the reflected sound is high.
It is easy to find reflection points in the room utilizing the "mirror technique." While seated in the listening position, have someone slide a small mirror along the wall, at about ear height. At various locations along the walls you'll see an image of the speaker in the mirror represents. Each of these spots represents an acoustical reflection site; the points closest to the speaker are the first reflection points. Mark these positions and place absorption or diffusion material there to eradicate the reflection.
A comprehensive acoustical room treatment program will yield maximum results, treating the first reflection points will be beneficial and give you some insight to the process.

Clean/tighten all connections. There is likely no more forgotten tweak than this one. We need to do all we can to aid the little electrons on their circuitous path around our systems. The most treacherous part of their journey, without a doubt, are the temporary connections we make between components. Tight junctions between mating surfaces of the connectors improves conductivity by increasing termination pressure; clean contacts improve signal flow by reducing contaminants. Attention to both insures best performance.

Be sure your speakers are spiked correctly. The purpose of spikes is to tightly couple the speakers to the floor. This mechanical coupling is critical to achieving optimal performance. The spikes must fully pierce the carpet (and pad), coming into solid contact with the sub floor below. Should you have hardwood or tile floors, spikes should still be used, but with floor protectors to prevent damage. If the speaker wobbles when rocked, even a little bit, readjust the spikes so that each makes secure contact with the floor. Your speakers should feel absolutely rock solid, with zero movement front to back or side-to-side.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14018
The source:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tuningtips.html

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1834
If anyone needs a full description of what Shane claims is his own intellectual property, you can find the full article here -

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tuningtips.html

I knew I read that article somewhere, but couldn't remember where. A quick Google search was all it took.

You really shouldn't try to make yourself look intelligent by cutting and pasting other people's work Shane. It makes you look like an even bigger idiot that you were before you did it.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1835
Sorry Berny, our posts crossed.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 468
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I googled that phrase just to look smart!

It dont get no better than this.
BTW, Shane, did you really think that would get by here? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
It shows how stupid you'll were in the first place in actually thinkin I came up with that

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Correction - I never claimed it was my own intellectual property, u guys exaggerate to much.. The only idoit is u Stu pitt.... always was, always will......lol

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 558
Shane: Generally speaking, it helps with credibility to cite ones sources.

Bronze Member
Username: Dpac996

Virginia

Post Number: 11
Shane, Since you are obviously the most experienced one here, how does one employ sheep's bladders to detect earthquakes?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 186
Sharni, you cross dressing fool, did you really think nobody would call you on this?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1836
Art said -

"You should at least give credit to where you found that Shane. We know it didn't come from you."

Shane said -

"come on art, very well did come from me.. I was just playin u guys for a long time..."

I'd say that was trying to pass it off as your own.

Also Shane, everyone here knows how stupid you are. No one thought for a second that you actually came up with any of it on your own.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 671
Shane, I would love to see you demagnetize a CD.

Hell... I'd love to see you magnetize one for that matter

It has been shown that instrumentation can't even detect a difference... Just another Belt snake oil ploy.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1201
i think shane and randy are the same person. hell, maybe the same person as meatspin and JBJ! keep up to act shame!!

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 674
I wondered if Meatspin, Wiley, and JBJ weren't the same person. They (meatspin and Wiley) both stopped posting around the same time the last time Wiley was banned.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2428
If you have a strong enough field...I'm sure you can powerfully magnetize a CD..

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 675
sure, if you have a fission powered electromagnet.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14024
C'mon man, that's Andre we're talking about. He can pretty much theorize on anything :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
There are a lot of people here are the same person but different nicks.. Jimbobjones,randy,wiley,billy cohen a few more...

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Stu have u noticed u always, everytime critize about other people and their posts... Thats ur biggest problem...A BIG FAT CRITIC....

Its like u think ur god of sound..

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1202
calling stu an overly critical person doesnt change the fact you are still a dumbass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
ohhhhhhhhhh... chris acting all defensive for his critic of a friend...
Keep ur facts and theories 2 urself...
one dumbass recongizes the other chris...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7284
now this is more up to expectations, Shane.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
I thought people on this forum were respectable.. I guess I was wrong...

Right,u guys wanna know the truth...

Shane, wiley, billy cohen... are all the same person, with different nicks... Real Person being JIM BOB JONES........
Yeah, I did get banned.. u guys who thought so about being the same person, yeap very much...

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Rules and "Netiquette"

When writing your messages, please use the same courtesy that you would show when speaking face-to-face with someone. Flames, insults, and personal attacks will not be tolerated(eg.Stu pitt,lee,gavin u'll guys are the ones,shame on you'll) It's fine to disagree strongly with opinions, ideas, and facts, but always with respect for the other person. Great minds do not always think alike, and that's where the fun is! Also, note that messages express the thoughts of the writers, not the board or its moderators.

Bronze Member

Virginia

Post Number: 12
"why can't we just all get along"

sorry it had to be said.

Dudes are dying in Iraq daily and we are arguing over pure fodder. Does not exactly make a whole lot of sense...

Back to Audio!!!

Since we are in the speaker's tuning thread:
SOmething I learned from a fellow 'phile:

When breaking in new loudspeakers...
If you want to run them in at mid to higher levels but dont want to wake the dead, do this

1) Place your speakers front to front as close as you can with out any contact. Make sure pointed directly at one another.
2) FLip the wires on only one.
3) Set your preamp to mono, or if you have an amp, make a simple splitter and that runs off one channel left or right on the input. As long as the identical signal is going in left and right your all set.

4) raise the volume but listen for obvious signs of distress. If your amp is powerful and there is a bass heavy signal you may bottom the woofers...be careful.

5) Put a heavy blanket around the remaing gap...

This works. I did it for my Dynaudio S3.4s and you can break your speakes in 24/7 as hardly any sound issues forth from the assembly.

It's very easy, free, and it works.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Dave, I agree dudes are dying in iraq... I don't have a problem, its few of these guys who are always like this, any new member or a person with limited knowledge of audio, these guys attack them like, an ak-47 or should I say pounce on them like tigers....

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Sharni was given PLENTY of chances to contribute here, Dave. Instead she ran around picking fights with other members.

And in the end, opted for plagiarism. Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Without regard to what happens in Iraq or Iran or Taiwan or Budapest or Copenhagen or Minsk or Queens or Milton or Brisbane.

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
Picking fights, with other members.. Kid get ur facts right... its the other way around...

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
You know, hell with all this crap.. tired of $hit.. gonna be myself from now on....

Bronze Member

Virginia

Post Number: 13
"Without regard to what happens in Iraq or Iran or Taiwan or Budapest or Copenhagen or Minsk or Queens or Milton or Brisbane"

It really does not matter (at least to me) one bit if one, two, or all the folks on eCoustics (which appears to be highly non-moderated), audiogon, wikipedia, audioreview, or audio asylum plagarise, rip off others, or what have you. These are hobby websites, not places where english majors get a chance to be selected for winning prose of the year award. Who cares? Read the stuff here and if you like it you like it, if you don't why waste the energy starting or joining a flame war... Caveat Emptor!!??
The point about Iraq was that there are much bigger fish to fry in life rather than spending all this time typing on a keyboard ranting on and on about one or a few member's "style". Can we get back to audio?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1838
Shane,

You're the only one I criticize. Why? Because you're a moron. You start useless inane threads hoping people give you a hard time, then resort to childish comebacks. Even if you were right about me being overly critical, which I'm not, as Chris Lee said - it doesn't change the fact that you're a moron.

I'll give credit where credit is due. This is by far the most imformative thread you've started. But your ingorance shined right through. You butchered the piece you plagarized from, and tried to pass it off as your own.

Next time, you may want to link to the article you stole from and open up conversation and dialog. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As for you posting the rules, I'm not violating a single one of them. I'd say all this to your face at any given moment.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1839
Dave,

I agree with most of what you're saying. But here's the thing, certain people have the tendency to do things on purpose just to start problems. BS follows everywhere they are, and no where else.

How come threads where Jim Bob Jones, shane monteath, et al. post, there are nothing but problems. The threads that they don't involve themselves in are usually pretty civil. Simple answer - they're trolls. They come to places like this and stir the pot. The only thing they're after is getting people fired up. I ignore the majority of them, but whenever someone pulls what shane pulls, I call them out. Hopefully the admin sees what's going on and gets them kicked off.

shane admits to being banned before. Banned from a site that is highley un-moderated, in your own words. What does that tell you?

Bronze Member

Virginia

Post Number: 14
I hear you Stu. Unfortunately for the rest of us we have to filter out the noise from time to time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
You know, hell with all this crap.. tired of $hit.. gonna be myself from now on....

Will that be dressed in drag as Sharni or as Shane or Jimbob Idiotpants or Wiley or.....?

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
hahah.... JIM BOB JONES TO THE RESCUE... I wonder what he has to say...

They come to places like this and stir the pot. The only thing they're after is getting people fired up.Come to places like this and stir the pot....

Firstly, who is askin u to get fired up stu...
Who the hell is askin to stir along with them.. IF YOU DON'T LIKE A THREAD AND CONSIDER IT STUPID, VERY SIMPLE STU, MOVE ON WHY WASTE UR PRECIOUS TIME AND ENERGY IN CORRECTING PEOPLE AND TELLING THEM THAT THEY ARE MORONS AND TROLLS... I guess this is your weakness..
and in the same breath u say u ignore them...

Stu u portrait urself like a saint, so all the members can see what a cool guy u are eh....

Hopefully the admin sees what's going on and gets them kicked off.

A little difficult for that to happen..
You know I haven't use any profane language, in any of my} threads or posts, unlike some of u guys.. talk about getting kicked off stu...

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 671
All of this (or most of it) is pointless anyways! Hasn't anybody ever heard of just listening to the music? If you spend that much time tinkering around with this foolishness then how do you have any time to listen to anything?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1203
for once shane has a good idea. why dont we just ignore shane and acknowledge him for the moron he is. its been a while since we have had a troll that actually tries to fight back, unlike randy, but this has gotten a bit old. its too bad that shane has to go on the internet to get the attention he wants in the real world. its also too bad that the admin here doesnt give a hoot about trolls on the boards.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Now I Know how u got to that 1203post number, with all of that intellectual post of urs..
The good thing abt me is that I don't get fired up... Attention.. I don't need it either...
Chris let me guess ur like 10yrs of age.. grow up.. its not to late...

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Well Stu, I did'nt know till now that ur an athletic trainer and ur 30yrs...

Surprised u hear all of the......... comin from a guy ur age... still high-school I guess..

Say what, Iam throwing a party not far from where u live... loads of fun... u intersted? lets put all of this behind us...

Bronze Member

Virginia

Post Number: 15
a friend once said:
"people don't grow up, they just get older"
true that!

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
A friend once said
"People get older, by time they get smarter and matured"