Sub for a cheap bast**d

Username: Mtbmtb

Post Number: 4
i looking for a sub to go with my sysytem as cheap as possible. i have a pioneer 5070 50" plasma tv with a pioneer 816 7.1 reciever. i have a BOSE VCS-10 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER, 4 BOSE 6.2 Series Speakers for the front and back speakers and some DEll tall speakers that come with their plasma tv for the middle surround speakers (these came with the center channel and i wasn't planning on using them, but hooked them up just to see what would happen). the 6.2's are old, but still sound good. the system puts out more base then your typical surround sound in the box unit, but i thouught a subwoofer might help.
i use it for mainly tv watching, but still like to jam out to classic rock now and again.
the room is about 20' x 22' with wood floors. the sub would really need to sit by the wall that has the tv on it.
i was thinking about ebay for the cheapest route. i saw the JBL 10" or 12" sub 10 or 12 (brand new for $229 shipped) or Ep150 or 250 series - ebay for probably $100-150 range. i could bid a little higher i get a Klipsch KSW-10 or 12 for $150-250. $250 was really more than i wanted to spend.
i could also get the Velodyne VX10 10" 150watt (brand new for $199 shipped) or the Polk Audio PSW12 Black 12" 100 Watt (brand new for $212 shipped)
from posts i've read here, it seems that the Hsu Research STF-1 or 2 or the Martin Logan Dynamo seem to be the favorites in the lower cost price range which is still over my budget.
any suggestions?
if i went with the Hsu, is there any place to look for them cheaper? i saw some posts about them being on sale, but the website had higher prices.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4717
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

Bronze Member
Username: Kinggimp82

Post Number: 47
i have experience with jbl polk and hsu.

the jbl e150 is crap. i had it in a room 12 by 15 and it didnt fill the room very well. ive heard the e250 is much better. if you were to go with a jbl get the e250 or youll be dissapointed.

as for polk dont even bother. anything in your price range is not worth owning.

i currently own a hsu stf-2 which is incredible for the price. for a 10" speaker its amazing. but its $349.00 plus $30 shipping. its well worth its price. personally id save up for the stf-2 but if money is an issue the jbl-e250 would do a nice job as well.

and if possible try to find a local store that you can go listen to the subs you might buy.

hope that helps,
andrew

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 87
The Velodyne VX-10 is not a bad piece of kit for the price. It's a lot tighter and more musical than the Polk (you can actually distinguish bass notes, instead of monochromatic boom).

Bronze Member
Username: Fac3l3ss

Post Number: 94
i've heard velodyne subs in futureshop here...they didn't sound to bad but that's just my opinion...and i've only heard like the dps-12 sub...i personally have a 12" vector research sub just for my bedroom...and let me tell you...IT BLOWS don't buy one lol

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7765
stay away from the DP12 sub, it sucks. Very slow.

Bronze Member
Username: Fac3l3ss

Post Number: 100
it had nice sounding bass though...for the lows anyway...very new to this stuff :-) forgive me

Bronze Member
Username: Mrogowski

Post Number: 77
"stay away from the DP12 sub, it sucks. Very slow."

How can a sub be slow?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 798
It took a barge over from China rather than jet plane.

From a technical standpoint, AFAIK, it relates to things like impulse response and group delay. From an audible standpoint, it relates to transient attack and overhang.

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 82
Velodyne VX-10 is currently $149 plus shipping ($15 I believe) from www.jr.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us