Help with Speaker Selection for Rega Gear

Username: Davidrm

Post Number: 4
Hi All,

Art is helping me, but I thought I would get others opinions as well. I have a Mira 3/Apollo combo, and I am looking to match a pair of speakers.

I have listened to the following:
Totem Arros (Mira 3/Saturn combo)
Rega R5 (Mira 3/Saturn combo)
Dynaudio Audience 52 (Mira 3/Apollo combo)

The Arros are amazing little speakers, but my room size is 15x23 feet. I feel the room may be too big. Plus, I would probably need a sub, which is an added expense.

I like the clean pure sound of the Rega R5. There is obvious synergy with the Rega electronics.

I like the sound of the Dynaudio the best. I feel the sound is more neutral than the R5. They disappeared. But, my wife will probably need a sub, which would be an added expense. I want to stay around $1500-2000 or less.

I trust the opinion of the board a little more than most salesmen. Should I look at the Totem Staffs? I have come across a dealer who sells Audio Physics. He said, if I like the Totems, I will like the Audio Physics. He claims the Yara is as good or better than the Totem Hawk. The Audio Physics speakers come with a 10 year warranty.

Am I off base with any of these speaker combinations? I am new at this. This auditioning is exhausting. Thanks in advance.

David

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7218
David, are you saying that the R5 would suit your lady without a sub?
You are in good hands with Art, but all 5 of us listen differently.(Art and Mrs Art. David and Mrs David, Nuck)
The sub will be the wild card here.

I like the Physiks line, but I only heard the big ones, and not on purpose.
Does your dealer offer both?
What does your dealer have to offer in the way of subs as well?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7219
And which Dyn's did you hear with your Reag gear?

Post Number: 5
Nuck,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think the bass of the R5 would suffice.

I see the REL subs are quite expensive, but they seem to be popular. I have not checked out used prices. But, there is also an extra cable to buy as well.

I am intrigued by the Physiks. Yes, he sells the full line. I have not seen Physiks discussed much anywhere. The Yara is a two way design. The mid/woofer driver is 7 inches. When I spoke to him on the telephone, he said the bass would suffice for most, if not used for home theater.

The Dynaudio dealer said I should also consider the Focus 110. But, from what I have read, the Mira 3 might have trouble driving them.

Thanks again.

David

Gold Member

Post Number: 7225
Yep, the 110 is difficult, David.
And stay away from the 140's at all costs.
No ProAc's, either.
Paradigm Studio 20's, maybe(need sub).

If you want an alternative, at a lower cost, which should not likely call for a sub...

PSB B25 standmounts(on the proper stands)/wink.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4704
Of the ones you've listed the Audio Physic Yara and Totem Sttaf interest me the most (besides what I own). I like Dynaudio but would not own them unless they fell off the truck in front of my house...too many others I like better. The Sttaf was updated not that long ago per someone I trust who is in the biz and worked with Totem for years. He told me that Like plenty of other folks he really wasn't a fan of the Sttaf, in fact his store quit carrying them. Recently he was told by the distributor to try them again and he might be surprised...and indeed he was. He said they sound like a fuller Arro capable of higher volume and greater dynamics. Should be nice. Also the Epos 15.2 appears to be a popular choice with Rega electronics.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4706
BTW David I bought my REL R-205 for $998 and it really works seamlessly with my R5's.

Post Number: 6
Art,

Thanks for the input. Actually, I just got done doing some research on Subs. For some reason, I was under the impression that a good sub cost more. I will listen to the Yara's and the Staffs tomorrow. I will keep you all informed.

Thanks to all for taking the time.

David

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1831
David,

Art owns the Apollo/Mira3/R5 system. The findings from him are coming from a guy who's lived with the system for at least a couple of months now. When auditioning, I think he tried a bunch of different speakers with it as well.

I own an Apollo and am adding a Mira 3 soon, and speakers after that. I've heard it on R1, R5, and Linn Katans. Personally, I like the R5 best.

A couple of other speaker brands that haven't been mentioned are PMC, Quad, Naim, and Castle. Castle went out of business a few months ago, but some dealers may still have some laying around.

I was under the impression that the Audio Physik line was difficult to drive. Maybe I'm wrong. I've heard them twice and they sounded great. But they were driven by McIntosh, which should make just about anything sound its best.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1832
Also, if you're kicking around the idea of bookshelf speakers, the Rega R1 is a great match. You'll need good stands and a good sub to bring out their full potential. They're about half the price of the Linn Katan, and I liked them much better.

If you have a Naim dealer locally, try to hear the Naim Ariva. Its a great speaker, but has been discontinued due to Castle, who made the cabinets, going out of business. You may be able to get a good deal on a pair.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4711
The Yara is is not difficult though some of the other models are. Thanks for the clarification on the Ariva speaker Stu, I didn't know why it was dicontinued. It was by far my favorite Naim speaker. Another very good match with Rega (don't try this without a net) is the Spendor S5e. It's a speaker that really must have the right components to sound good, Rega and Naim seem to work well for them. They only reach into the mid 50hz range and need a sub for anything lower. Stu has a point about the R1's and also consider the R3's which many folks consider to be the best balanced of the bunch.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2138
Hmmm, interesting.

David, if you liked the Dynaudios best after hearing them with an Apollo and the other two speakers with a Saturn I would surmise that you would prefer to stick with them. I am surprised at your comment about bass since I find them plenty bassy enough. However, if you really want a bigger sound for similar money with similar attributes, Dynaudio's entry level speaker is a compact floorstander called the Audience 62. FOCUS 110s are out of the question in my view, especially in that size room.

As to subs, I strongly recommend Velodyne. Their SPL800R would be more than enough to fill in below the 52s and is a peach. not sure how much it sells for in the US but I'd be surprised if it was more than $1k. I particularly recommend the 'R' since it has the room EQ software and is remote controlled allowing you to tailor or just mute for night mode etc. If you don't have bass resonance modes and can do without the remote and room EQ then the 800i knocks quite a bit off the price.

Now I also note that you liked the 'clean pure sound of the R5'. As Art will tell you I'm no fan, but what I find interesting here is the fact that to me R5's sound quite bass heavy, or at least boxy (my main complaint), more so than the Audience 52s anyway. So it's interesting that your experience is so different to mine when I get your description of the Dyns.

I also have a problem with the last recommendation for the Spendor S5e. Beautifully finished and gorgeous to look at but difficult to drive and very little 'get up and go'. The R3s are way better in my view.

Another brand that is supposed to match well is Neat, although I haven't heard them in combination myself. As to Audio Physic, they're meant to be very good indeed and certainly worth short listing. Naim Arivas have been discontinued and should be on sale at good discounts. It's a shame Castle went out of business and that Naim have chosen not to replace the speaker at this time, but the Ariva is a good speaker, easy to drive, too. It's usual to place it near the rear wall, although this can sometimes lead to too much bass.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4712
Actually I drove the S5e's with a low powered tube amp quite nicely. Both of the Rega dealers I work with have recommended the combination.

I think that the combo would require auditioning at home but again it's just another suggestion that would suit some folks listening better than others (personally I like the R5's better, that's why I own them).

As Frank said they are not particularly lively which some folks prefer and others don't. Frank have you heard the S5e's, last time we discussed them you hadn't but your colleagues had.

Both of my Rega dealers have been Spendor dealers as well. The one dealer likes Spendor enough that their own personal home system is a Naim/Spendor setup. The other is discontinuing carrying Spendor and has already discontinued carrying Neat. In their words "We believe that there may be better value for the money out there". They both still carry and are enthusiastic about Rega speakers.

Post Number: 7
Well, I had a busy day today. This morning I heard a Creek Destiny amp/cd and the Audio Physic Yara's. In my notes, I have amazing sound staging and imagery. Great detail, I could hear the resonance of the string instruments. Tight, deep base ... no sub needed IMHO. Neutral not warm. After the first couple of tracks, I would get up and look behind the equipment stand to see if there was anything there to create the sound stage. It was amazing. However, the set-up was optimal, so I seriously doubt I could come close to that presentation in my home. Also, I think the Creek gear is an upgrade to the Rega gear. I will contact the dealer to find a way to listen to the Yara's with my Rega gear.

I also heard the R5's again and the Totem Staffs with the Mira 3/Apollo set-up. The Totem Staffs are not even close to the Yara's, at least to my hears. Even though, the equipment is different. For $200 over the cost of the Staffs, I would get the Yara's. Now the R5's are about $600 cheaper than the Yara's making for a tougher choice.

To answer Frank's question/observation, I think the Rega R5 has sufficient bass for my music, and I would not need a sub. The dealer had some Reggie music with a lot of base, and the bass of the R5's were great.

With regard to the Dynaudio 52's, the bass is plenty for the music I listen too, but my wife, who listens to dance, country, and rock, might need more. So, I thought a sub would be required with the Dynaudio's. She was not with me when I listened to the Dynaudio's.

I am still not any closer to making a decision. More work ahead. Thank you for the input and suggestions.

David

Gold Member

Post Number: 7255
David, next visit, you should have your lovely wife with you.
Best advise at this point.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4726
His visiting days are over Nuck. Which finish did you get with your R5's David?

Post Number: 8
Yes, I had enough with the testing and the searching. For my price point, it made sense for me to stick with the Rega package. I can hear the synergy. I like the midrange, and the details. There is a pure sound with the Rega, for better or for worse. To be honest, some of my recordings are rough/edgy with Rega, but they were a bit rough/edgy on the Destiny/Yara combo as well (which is at least double the price of my Rega set-up). I guess some recordings are not perfect, and Rega will let you know about it.

I appreciate the time Art spent testing different combinations of interconnects and cables with the Rega Mira 3/Apollo. In show of my appreciation, I went with an all Art set-up, with regard to Rega electronics, VDH cables/interconnects, and power cords.

I chose the black finish or I should say my wife chose the black finish. Not sure how long it will take to get them, since they are a new color for Rega. But, they are on the dealer's price sheet, which means they are available.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will be posting when I get everything hooked up.

David

Gold Member

Post Number: 7275
Excellent, David.
Congratulations, indeed!

Keep us apprised, please?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1851
As far as I know, the black finish on Rega electronics has been available along side the silver finish since the begining.

I'm also waiting to hear your impressions.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4766
He meant black finish on the speakers. That is indeed a new finish...I don't think I've even seen a picture of it.

Post Number: 9
I spoke to my salesman today, and he said the distributor has not received them yet. They are on the way and will be shipped to me directly from the distributor.

My salesman assured me I will be one of the first to receive black R5's. I can not wait to get the speakers and the other gear. I am still enjoying the Mira/Apollo combo with the axioms. However, most classical music is not too good, but jazz and other music is very enjoyable.

David

Gold Member

Post Number: 7315
Are the R5's in piano black or black wood?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4770
Sure you don't need a P3 to go with that Rega system...!

Post Number: 10
P3 is next. Austin, TX is right up the road. I have located a couple of good record stores.

R5's will be in piano black.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1853
"He meant black finish on the speakers. That is indeed a new finish...I don't think I've even seen a picture of it."

My mistake. I haven't seen them or heard anything about them till now.

David, your new system is great. Mine is being pieced together. If you think it sounds gret with an Apollo, you should hear it with a P3.

Art just upgraded to a P5. If you're not reading between the lines, he's selling his approx 3 month old P3 at a great price. I'd be all over it, but I need a Mira 3 and R5s more at this point.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1854
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but speaking of this system...

A while back I posted bits of a conversation I had with a guy who is a music professor at a college I used to work at. He's also played internationally in a few different orchestras (or is it symphonies?). For the last 15 or 20 years, on and off he's been looking into replacing his home stereo (Older Onkyo seperates with the huge meters on the front, and Thiel speakers). Long story short, I bumped into him a week ago and he told me he finally got a new system - Rega P3, Mira 3, Apollo, R5. He said its far better at conveying music than anything he's heard in a very long time that he can comfortably afford.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi Stu,

I am not ready to lay out the money for the P3 yet. It will be several months at least.

It is nice to hear your story about the music professor. I am definitely no expert. Before purchasing the Rega gear, I listened to NAD's and CA's. Not the high end NAD's. Both systems were nice, but I found myself wanting more. Art mentioned Rega. I did some research and found a dealer who would work with me. So, I bought the Rega system without hearing it. Even though my speakers are less than optimal, I am very happy with the system.

Since the purchase, I have heard Rega/Apollo/R5 and other Rega combos. I like the sound very much. By the way, the Rega systems I have heard used Chord cables and interconnects exclusively. I am very excited to get my VDH cables and interconnect.

Hopefully, I will get the gear soon. Talk to you soon.

David

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4782
We anxiously await the arrival of your gear...and mine...lol!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1862
David,

Let us know how everything goes after you get it up and running.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 26
I too would be interested to hear, especially as I have just moved from Rega R3's to Spendor S5e's. Someone above said they have no get up and go, which surprised me, as they certainly can go, it could just be that the exons have the extra urge to make them. I loved the 3's but a change of listening room meant a change had to be made, the 3's could not drive the new room properly, and the Spendors cured that very well. They are a warmer sound, and not quite as fast, but they balance in very well with the Rega electronics.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4809
Rega 3's and Spendor S5e's, you've owned some very musical speakers...well balanced.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I will definitely post my impressions when I get everything up and running. Thanks for everyone's contributions.

Hopefully, I will be posting in the near future.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7405
yes, hopefully so, David.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 281
Hello, I just read this thread and found it especially informative. Here's the latest with me: as some of you might know, I had my Era 5 for sale on A-Gon and they sold last week for what I paid. Anyway, I need to find a replacement for the speakers as the Era floorstanders are not going to be in for awhile. My gear is a Jolida 1501 hybrid integrated 100wpc, along with an Apollo, Kimber Silver Streak interconnects, and Shunyata Venon power cords on everything. I had my eye on some pre-owned Epos 15.2, but they are gone to another buyer. Any suggestions as to what else I should be looking at in the 1k range, great bang for the buck floorstanders?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 404
How long do you have to wait for the Epos, until the trees grow large enough to be cut down into cabinets? Hopefully you have other uses for these "temporary" speakers.

In fact if they are temporary why don't you see if a nearby shop has something on consignment that you could rent with a "Break it you buy it clause"?

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 70
I got my M15.2's from Underwood HiFi on Audiogon for $890, new. They are still listed, so you might want to check with Underwood Wally to see if you could snag a pair.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4852
Rega R3's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
My Rega R5's in piano black.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7609
David, I have not seen them before, Art's 5's did not show so deep in has pic's.
Fine, fine fine in piano black!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4949
That's what I'm talkin about!

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 123
Wow! Beautiful! I didn't know Rega made their speakers in a piano black.

Are those special order? What other finish options are there, that their website doesn't list?

How do I find out what the other options are?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4953
NMT, my cherry R5's are fabulous...definitely better finishes on the Rega R series speakers than they had early on.

http://eugenehifi.com/

Call these guys and they'll tell you all about the finish options.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7621
Absolutely beautiful speakers in either finish, NOW I see how they can be so full, the depth is amazing on the cabs, is there a funky tubed port or a quiet tuned port vent?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
They sound as good as they look. The all Rega system works. I am still learning the hiFi lingo. So, I cannot give a detailed description of the sound. To my ears and pocket book, they sound fabulous. I can listen to them without ever getting tired. And, the sound should get better as I upgrade interconnects, cables, and AC. Those products are on the way.

I listened to some more expensive systems with great imaging and sound stage. These speakers do not get caught up in that stuff. They just play music very well. That's really all I am qualified to say at this point, as a beginning audio hobbyist.

Thanks again to Art for recommending Rega and testing the different interconnects, cables, etc.

FWIW, my wife is the one who pushed the piano black. I liked the light colored ones. The special finish costs extra.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4989
It's been an absolute pleasure talking with you David. BTW the maple finish is really nice. The R5 is getting a killer reputation...we can say we knew them when!

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 274
wow i cant believe nobody suggested Vandersteen 2ce Sig mk I and mk II.

these speakers are no frills, pure sound with an enormous soundstage and plenty of air behind the instruments. Placement is tricky but once you have it, YOU KNOW YOU HAVE IT.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4992
Huh....

There are several hundred speakers no one suggested. The Vandy's are good, but I think we're past the recommending piece now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
yes but in his price range i would have ranked them among the best, never heard rega speakers though

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4997
The Vandy's are very good but they aren't very efficient. Not so good with a small integrated.

I think the 2ce Sig's are one of the most accurate and musical speakers around. However, you need alot of good clean current to get the best from them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Art, thats very true, i sold my 704's and bought these and its pretty good but i hear what you are saying, my ra 1062 is doing a decent job but im going to buy a Belles 150A hot rod amp soon to pair with them and use the ra 1062 as my pre.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2218
Eric,

Also bear in mind what David said about the soundstage and how this is a less important aspect to him than the cohesive approach taken by the Rega combination. It's quite a different way of listening.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1928
David,

Glad to see things are working out so well. Most people search aimlessly forever trying to find audio bliss.

You mentioned power. Are you referring to power conditioners? If you own your home, you may want to look inti getting a dedicated power line installed by an electrician. The results are almost always far better than any conditioner, and cheaper.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
There is no doubt that I did not try that many speaker combos. It is not that easy to find stores with Rega gear and a wide speaker selection. I listened to a couple of Totems, Audio Physics, Dynaudio and Spendor S8E with the Mira 3. I finally got a chance to listen to EPOS, but after the fact (not with Rega amp).

I am very, very happy with the R5's. Again, thanks to Art. I think our ears are sensitive to similar aspects of music. Also, in reading the thread in this forum, I think we share similar tastes in music. Rega sounds good to me.

Stu,
What I meant by AC power is new power cords and new electrical outlet. The electricians were in the house last week to wire separate circuit.

Also, I am not sure I have found audio bliss. But, at this time, I am more than content. I heard some amazing systems while searching for speakers. I have a lot to learn about this hobby, and I believe my system is a great place to start. I definitely plan to get into vinyl in the near future - Rega P3.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5006
Right on!

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 290
anyone attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October??

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 150
You guys are havint too much fun!

"...Castle, who made the cabinets, going out of business..."
That is too bad. They were beautiful. I got a pair of Castle Severn used that look great and I find them pleasant but not exciting. For the used price ok, for new, too much competition.
So I am a nut for wood, but I could not pass up the used price on the Quad 11L in piano black. I was shocked to find that the loves them! She likes the look better than the wood. Hmmm. You know how cheap I am that I took the lime green P3!!!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 151
"the wife loves piano black!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 147
Stu Could you please tell us more on

"If you own your home, you may want to look inti getting a dedicated power line installed by an electrician. The results are almost always far better than any conditioner, and cheaper."

I am going to get a technician soon to install a jack for my set up, did you mean a particular cable to be used within or just a dedicated jack or a special dedicated jack?

Cheers

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 291
yes, stu please respond as I am looking into doing the same thing with my outlet

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2064
I'm not an expert on the subject, nor have I had it done for my stereo. I've heard the differences it has made in two systems, and it wasn't a very subtle difference.

An electrician runs a completely new circuit or line. The new circuit doesn't get shared with anything else. I'm not sure if they all do, but I believe some even have their own seperate ground or earth.

If the circuit doesn't have anything else connected to it, there's far less chance of the power getting dirtied up by other things plugged into a shared line, and less chances of current to be drawn by other things in the line.

If a refridgerator shares a line with your stereo, how does the stereo sound?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2065
Frank and Jan have explained it so much better than I ever could. If I find the thread, I'll let you know.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 168
David Milner: "...I am not ready to lay out the money for the P3 yet..."
I couldn't wait for my P3 so I got a hideous lime green one. Am enjoying it so much I am glad.
Now there is a purple one on AudiogoN very CHEAP.
I think Rega hired an industrial artist who smokes the wacky tobacky. It is almost a give away.

Silver Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 150
Thanks Stu,

I am planning to get one done, shall post feedback if it helps.

Cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 8311
KC, it ain't the prettiest purple.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8315
In keeping with the title of the thread, David, you might look here...

For our valued friends...

The release of our Sierra-1 has been a tremendous success. With the first professional review just released and many more coming, the response in the audio community has been overwhelmingly positive.

We realize the Sierra-1 might not be for everyone, especially for those looking for a high-performance home theater / multi-channel audio system on a budget. So for the many of you who might be feeling a bit left out, we have something very special to offer you :D

We have a limited quantity of fully recertified CMT-340 SE pairs that we are now offering for sale at only $458 per pair. These speakers, what we are now calling "340 Recerts" for short, have been fully refurbished using brand new woofers and tweeters.

The majority of these units are trade-ins from customers that have upgraded; others are units that we have marked as B-stock due to a very minor scratch or nick. We have fully cleaned and touched up the cabinets where appropriate, installed new woofers and tweeters, and each unit has passed our industry-leading production line performance assurances.

I guarantee you, these units are as good as new, and if not, they are still backed by our 30-day satisfaction guarantee. The only stipulation is that we are using unshielded tweeters in these models. The woofers are fully shielded but because the tweeters are not, we recommend at least 2 feet of clearance from a CRT style monitor. The lack of shielding on these tweeters has absolutely no affect on performance. I assure you, these are our award-warning CMT-340 SE through and through...

The 340 Recerts are available right now and these are fully eligible for our standard package price discounting.

To order a pair of these, please use this link

To order a discounted package system, please use our system advisor. The 340 SE Recerts can be referenced on the system advisor page as "CMT-340 SE R"

We expect these to sell out fast and these prices are only valid while supplies last. If you have yet to experience the performance and value that has become our trademark, there has never been a better time than now.

Good Sound To You!
ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us