Random platter speed slowing, help!

Username: Chemical_cake

Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
Hi, I wonder if anyone could shed some light on a rather troubling problem with my turtable's speed.

I have a Technics SL-B202 turtable bought recently from a bootsale for a tenner, not the best in the world but unfortunately all I can afford at the moment. It's belt drive, running off a frequency generator DC servo motor. Predictably, it had a few teething problems to start with; had to replace an awfully stretched belt, and then adjust the speed as it played too fast. Generally, it'll play at a remarkably steady speed (considering the cost!). But, every now and then, it will randomly slow down bigtime for apparently no reason at all. There is no warning, and no pattern to when it happens as far as I can tell. Sometimes I can play a whole LP with no issue, sometimes it will happen several times on one side. As I only have the basic knowledge needed to maintain it, my first assumption was that it had something to do with the 'frequency generator' bit. I have no idea what this is or what it is supposed to do, other than somehow keep the speed of the motor stable. Having spent hours trawling the internet for information and coming up empty handed, it would be quite nice to know at least whther the problem is fixable, or if i'm going to have to start going round those bootsales again.

Thanks, any help greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7204
Matt, the table bearings need lubrication from time to time.
The motor may have a lube point as well.
A dust bunnie may be running around in the motor.
Just a guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us