Whats the difference in amps

Bronze Member
Username: John_t

Burnley, Lancs United Kingdom

Post Number: 11
can anyone tell me the difference between an A/v amp an A/V receiver and an A/V processor or do they all do pretty much the same cheers

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1811
An A/V receiver has a pre-amp/processor, amplifiers, and possibly a radio tuner in one box.

An A/V pre-amp/processor process information sent by the source (DVD player, CD player, etc), and controls adjustments such as volume, and source selection. It processes and decodes information like Dolby Digital, 5.1, 6.1, etc. These do not have any amplification in them.

An A/V amp amplifies the signal sent by the pre-amp/processor. It can have from 1 to however many channels as you need. Each channel is esentially a line to a speaker. These do not perform any pre-amp/processor duties.

Also, an integrated amp is more or less a receiver without a radio tuner built in.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Post Number: 46
"Also, an integrated amp is more or less a receiver without a radio tuner built in."

Well, I wouldn't say that. It doesn't do any signal processing, and receivers generally have at least 5 channels of amplification, whereas integrateds have two. On top of that, receivers incorporate a DAC, while integrated amps do not.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1813
Good point Josh. When I wrote that I was thinking a 2 channel receiver minus most gadgets and a tuner.

Their are a select few integrateds that have multichannel amps. Pathos makes one. Also, some newer integrateds have an internal DAC option. The Naim SuperNait and Bryston B100 SST have these. But these really are the rare few exceptions.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2120
Here's my understanding of the three terms:

A/V Processor: A processing preamplifier. It has all theusual inputs one would expect but its outputs are only line level to feed into a set of power amplifiers. These can be separate stereo or mono amplifiers or they can be multichannel amplifiers with 3, 5 or 7 channels.

A/V Amplifier: An integrated A/V Processor and 5 or 7 power amplifiers. It has all the usual inputs one expects as well as power amplification so its outputs have to include speaker level connections. Very often these devices also have line level outputs for extra power amplifiers as an upgrade option.

A/V Receiver: An A/V Amplifier with a built-in tuner (radio).

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Kage

HongKong, China

Post Number: 2
this is a great thread, thanks for sharing
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us