Rega P3... What cartridge should I pair with it?

Username: Mezhopking

Lymington

Post Number: 1
I'm about to buy myself a Rega P3 turntable, but before I do, I would like to know what MM cartridge to pair with this deck...

I've read that the Ortofon OM10 is a pretty decent budget MM cart, is this true?

I am prepared to spend a little more, if the quality can justify the price, maybe up to £70.

Any help much appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2108
I am not a fan of the OM series. I find them quite compromised. I even prefer rega's own cartridges to this series and I am no fan of them either!

Until recently, Ortofon had an excellent series called the 500 series which started at £50 for the 510. The 520 was significantly better and retailed for £80. You may find some around. If you do this, note that the Ortofons are taller than the Regas so your dealer will need to fit a 2mm spacer under the arm in order to bring it up to correct VTA. Ortofon have a new series about to come out (or just out?).

Goldring have a new 1000 series which is a direct competitor to Ortofon's 500 series. Again, 4 cartridges in the range in similar price bands. I've heard the top of the range and it is far better and more acceptable than their old 1042 which was a bit brash and harsh in the treble.

I think that's your lot at this price range - Ortofon, Goldring and Rega.

Regards,
Frank.

Lymington

Post Number: 2
Thanks Frank,

I've been looking on ebay at Rega Planar 3's, which are pretty nicely priced, in comparison with the newer P3 decks.

Do you know if there are any significant improvements to the P3 over the Planar 3? I've looked extensively around the internet and I can't a decent comparison between the two revisions.

Do you know any good review sources?

Thanks,
Mez

Username: Revolver

SkelmorlieScotland

Post Number: 7
Hi,

As far as I know the differences between the P3 and the Planar 3 are a modified plinth and the improved ,rigidly mounted motor.
I myself have a Planar 3 and have installed the new motor,which to my ears improves the sound significantly.The drawbacks though are it costs around 80 GBP and you need a soldering iron.However these are minimised by the fact that its relatively easy to fit and you can flog the old motor on eBay for around 20 Quid.

Don't know the benefits of the newer plinth.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2127
Indeed, the motor has been changed to a much quieter item which allows Rega to mount it more rigidly. This improves pitch stability significantly. A Planar 3 can have the new motor kit upgrade. However, the new P3-24 (as I believe it will be called) has a new 24-pole motor and can be run with an external power supply. Given the excellent effect this same setup has on a P5, this should be very interesting, particularly if Planar 3s can have the upgrade (don't know at this point).

That said, the old Planar 3 was always a good performer. I doubt you'll find any comparative reviews between the two.

I also don't know what effect the newer plinth had on the deck.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2128
Incidentally, the new Goldring cartridges are called the 2000 series. The new Ortofon cartridges are just two - the 2m series. Tried one the other day very briefly and it seemed a nice performer.

Username: Revolver

SkelmorlieScotland

Post Number: 8
Incidentally,I find the Goldring G1042 does not sound "a bit brash and harsh in the treble" on my RB300 if it is tracked at around 2.25-2.35 gms.
Might be something to do with VTA.

Regards,
Tom

Lymington

Post Number: 3
Found a new P3 on eBay, which I bought... fantastic condition and half the price. Bargain. It came with two cartridges:
Ortofon Super OM20 and Rega Elys. The former is currently fitted, with the necessary spacer ring.

Which of these two cartridges do you guys think is superior and why?
I might have a go at changing the cart back to the Elys, but Rega make it sound like a complex exercise... do I need to take heed of their warnings?

Cheers,
Mez

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4696
Frank, it would be great if the P3 could have the upgrade, please let us know if you find out.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10379

Changing a cartridge in a Rega arm is not difficult. It requires the proper tools and set up guage along with good eyesight and a steady hand. The more patience you have to devote to accuracy, the higher the rewards. You can read a few reviews of the two cartridges in question and decide which best suits your tastes and system needs.

Check the archives of this section of the forum for a downloadable two point set up protractor suitable for most tonearms.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4697
Jan, don't you have a Planar 3? If so I would be interested in what cartridge you use and why.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10383

In 1975 or so I bought one of the first three Planar 3's brought into the country directly from the importer at the time. I had an Infinity Black Widow tonearm mounted on the table rather than the standard "S" shaped arm Rega sold at the time. The Black Widow was constructed of carbon fiber and was an ultra low mass arm with knife edge bearings suited only to very low mass, high compliance cartridges like ADC. I sold that table and arm in 1982 to upgrade to a VPI HW-19 which is stll my current table. I have a RB300 mounted on the VPI and have run Grado's for the past two decades.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4698
Thanks Jan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us