Floorstanders for Arcam A65+ ?

Username: Alacious

Post Number: 8
Hey there,

I've been looking for a pair of floorstanders to pair with my system.

Right now I have:

NAD C521BEE
Arcam A65+
broken b&w dm302s :-( (moving accident, sigh)
Unity Solid Link speaker cables
DH Labs Silver Sonic II interconnects

I have looked at the Epos ELS303 and the Totem Arros, but I'm concerned about them being driveable with my little amp.

I'd like to upgrade my amp sometime in the near future, to another Arcam (I quite like their sound) but right now, it's financially impossible.

Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1806
In my experience, the Arros are fine being driven by the A65+. Just don't expect to fill a huge room with very high SPLs. Personally, I think its a great match. I've heard it a few times and was always impressed by it.

I have very limited experience with Epos, so I'll defer to someone else there.

After the speakers upgrade, your next move should be upgrading your CD player. Forget about upgrading the amp for now. The 521BEE CD player is very good for the money, but very outclassed in your system. You won't see the full potential until you upgrade it. The entry level Arcam CD player will fit in very nicely. You'll gain far more in your system from a source upgrade than an amp upgrade IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2107
Mike,

I agree to a point that the Arros will make the A65+ work hard but that amp is pretty powerful so you might not be able to drive them to party levels all the time but you should get a decent result.

I agree with Stu about your next move being the CD player - Arcam's own CD73T is pretty good and there's always Rega's amazing Apollo for a bit more.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Alacious

Post Number: 10
Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about in regards to the CD player.

I assume that I will pick up some speakers, and see how things are at that point. If it seems that they're underpowered, I'll look at replacing the amp, otherwise I think you're probably right about the CD player being the next step.

Anyone have any experience with the Epos=, or have any other suggestions about speakers I can pair with my A65?

I listen to a lot of jazz and 'experimental' music (electronics, ambient, etc), along with a good helping of rock and folk.

At any rate, thanks again :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2115
The ELS line is EPOS's entry level. I would be surprised if they competed against the Arros. Then again, they are good speakers and easier to drive too.

Creek owns EPOS, so you may find that the EPOS dealer in your area has Creek too.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1808
If this helps, I've heard a couple of times that Totem recommends Arcam amplification. A poster here a while back said that Totem recommended the A65+ over the NAD 372 integrated amp in a series of e-mails between him and Totem.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1812
I'm trying to come up with other speakers that I know will pair up well with Arcam. The only Arcam dealer I know carries Totem and Acoustic Energy. Both sound very good. I haven't heard anything else with Arcam, so I have no real first hand knowledge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us