How is the ARCAM 350 receiver?

Username: Daniel_1

Post Number: 8
I want to exchange my NAD T773 receiver with the ARCAM 350. I am using Snell speakers.

Thx for any inputs, Daniel

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2098
What would you like to know Daniel? In my view it's an excellent AV receiver which also allows you to get a musical result when playing CDs, provided you have decent sources of course. It's preamp section is based closely on the AVP700 processor and so it benefits from excellent transparency without etching the sounds in the soundspace making for a very naturalistic result. It's not as immediately impressive therefore, but it's a much better long term propostion than many of the competitors such as Denon, Pioneer or Marantz.

I do wish it had some extra goodies such as an automatic self-setup procedure (such as Audyssey) or that it could also decode HDMI audio which I don't think it can do, but at this stage in the game I'd take it over any of the competition.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 63
in september there will be new version if you can wait. I just have bouth 280 - new version of 250 and I was told than new 350 will be available soon.
Pablo

Username: Daniel_1

Post Number: 9
Thanks Frank and Pablo.

Frank, can you elaborate more on the HDMI - I would like to learn more about it, as I see and read it in more and more forums, but did not success to fully understand this feature.

Pablo, what is the main difference between the 250 and 280 and 280 to 350 models?

Thx again, Daniel

Bronze Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 64
Arcam claims that 280 is their best sounding receiver now, when new 350 will show up it would be equivalent but with more power
Pablo

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2102
The 350 does nothing clever with the HDMI inputs. It just switches between them to provide one output. This is useful if you have too many HDMI sources for your display. Most displays have one or two HDMI inputs. If you have 3 sources, then you would need to switch between the HDMIs.

HDMI is both an audio and video input (like SCART). An AV receiver can either act simply as a switcher (many inputs and one output) or it can decode the input and recode it for output. The Arcam doesn't do this.

I know nothing about a new 350 but it wouldn't surprise me if Arcam were to bring something out in 5 months or so.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us