Noob with questions regarding a new receiver

Username: Cwest_civic

Post Number: 1
Im looking to get a new receiver, but I need it to be able to allow me to hook up several amps. I called Crutchfield and the guy told me there to just look for a receiver that has pre amp outputs. So in my search, I am finding them, but they are just listed as yes or no, not in how many.

For arquement sake, lets say I want to install 5 amps. Do I need to make sure my new receiver has 5 pre amp outputs? Or what exactly am I looking for? Also could you point me in the direction of some good models. Thanks alot.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 458
Are the amps to drive a 5/6/7 channel system?

Typically if they say "yes" that means there will be pre-outs for each channel the reciever provides, whether a 2/5/6/7 channel reciever.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 459
P.S. If your going to have that many amps, why not just by seperates altogether?
And give a budget.

Post Number: 2
This is going to be a 7 channel system.

Well 3 amps will be used to push 3 tactile transducers, 1 for my tower speakers, so actually 4 amps. I have 2 powered sub systems, but if I could add the 5th amp to power addition subs, would be great, but unsure how to add that set up.

Budget for a receiever, would like to stay under a grand if I can.

I guess I should tell you what I have and what I wish to accomplish:
2 - Cerwin Vega CLS-215
1 - Cerwin Vega VE-5C
2 - Cerwin Vega LS-5
2 - Cerwin Vega VE-28s

Adding 3 Clark Synthesis Platinum Series Tactile Transducer

What I want to accomplish is, just simple music and enjoyment out of DVDs. Im not a critic, and my old 10 year old Phillips receiever to me still sounds fine. But I want something new and I want to add the transducers.

Im an old bass head, so if there is a way I can add that 5th amp with some additional subs I have have, that would be great also.

Post Number: 3
Oh yea, I dont have very many seperates. My whole system will only consist of my 62" Mitsubishi DLP tv, receiever, dvd player and the amps once I figure this all out.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10319

Probably the wiser route would be to look for a multichannel amplifier that has enough outputs to satisfy your needs but feeds off one pair of pre amp outputs.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1186
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/970.html
$699

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html
$1099

Post Number: 4
Kano, so your saying I can get a preamp unit and be able to use the 4 or 5 amps?

Jan, cant do the multichannel amp, cuz I have to do it piece by piece, and it would take me till Im old and grey to be able to afford a multichannel.

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 58
OK Chris, I will step into the fray with this one as I am always intrigued by unusual set ups.

First things first - the tactile transducers
How are you going to power them? I know you said power amps already but are you looking at mono blocks? Or two channel? Since all Mid-Fi receivers have a subwoofer out is what you are going to use? Y Cable to split the signal? Or did you want to have one for front L&R and Sub?

Since you are intrigued by the crazy loud CV speakers you will need a massive power amp to supply the front L&R. Those things will eat a couple of hundred watts with out blinking or moving! This will require a set of front L&R pre-outs.

Since Kano replied to this tread I will have to suggest a Harman Kardon receiver. You will need to be looking for a unit that has a subwoofer pre-out (very standard) and a front L&R out. Minimum.

The AVR 247
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=E NG&cat=REC&prod=AVR%20247&sType=C
This would be a good starting point.

Rate my post on a One to Ten.
One - a monkey could have written it (most likely did).
Ten - Jan Vigne's wiser brother wrote it and I have given your life meaning.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7178

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 59
I was hoping for 3.1415926....

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 60
Sorry Chris.

The tread killer strikes again.

Perhaps try again with another post and I will intervene.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us