Frequency Response

Bronze Member
Username: Juggy_25

Post Number: 39
Hi
A satellite speaker i am considering has the Frequency response 110Hz-20kHz.
Does this mean, if I use the 2 front sats to listen to music, I will be missing out a lot of "below 110Hz" sounds?
juggy

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 453
Is there a subwoofer since you mentioned satellites?

Remember its the entirity of the frequency range put together including crossovers of different speakers that can create a very different sound. Music can be percieved to sound more trebly, more honky or more boomy etc etc if the setup isnt right.

I certainly wouldn't use just the satellites if theyre small..unless they're proper bookshelf satellites!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Jarvis, I am planning a 5.1 setup. Theres a Sub and the setup will be used mainly for movies.

But suppose I want to use it for music, should I be using the 2 fronts and the sub?

They are sats, not bookshelves.

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
A 5.1 setup will be the best for movies. Better than a setup with more speakers.

I'm not too knowledgable in this part of audio as there is a home theatre section of this forum, but using the system for music will not be a problem. If your amplifier allows you may be able to switch the config to just 2 channel being the 2 fronts and the subwoofer should still work.
Its all a matter of trying it out, you may prefer or accept the way music sounds in 5.1 mode.

I'd personally only set up a 5.1 system if you have a good room where you can place each speaker well and not clumped together or in corners.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 142
You will have a gap between 110 from your sats limit and likely 80hz. So you will likely be missing between 80-110 hz frequencies. This is an oversimplified response since the frequencies ranges for a speaker are 1. Not absolutes above or below. 2. Measured and reported differently by different speaker manufacturers.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 143
This assumes use of a somewhat decent subwoofer at the same time, and a receiver that crosses over to the sub at 80 HZ.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7015
A low frequency unit that runs up to 110hz is a mid bass.
Adding a sub is possible, I suppose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7016
Sorry, allowing for an octave overrun, but the overrun is not controlled so well in a budget package.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1798
110 Hz is most likely an average and not an absolute limit. The way the speaker interacts with the room will also play a part in how low the speaker will go in a real world sense.

Also, depending on the way the speaker was measured, 110 Hz may be where it starts to rool off, the middle of the rool off curve, or the end of it.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4668
A satellite speaker i am considering has the Frequency response 110Hz-20kHz.
Does this mean, if I use the 2 front sats to listen to music, I will be missing out a lot of "below 110Hz" sounds?

Yes, it does.

One solution would be to add a subwoofer. The subwoofer will need to have a variable crossover, which should be set to approximately 110 Hz. This solution is not ideal, but if you have the components already, just try it and see.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2092
If the satellites are specified at 110hz minimum then the crossover with the sub should be around that point and you should be running 2.1 for music as well as 5.1 for surround.

The 80hz point is merely the THX standard definition for a full THX certified system which defines all the speakers in the system to be capable of 80hz reproduction. This value was chosen because it is generally accepted that the source of frequencies below 100hz cannot be located by people.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
when listening to music, how low does a male and female vocal go to?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 511
http://www.psbspeakers.com/audioTopics.php?fpId=8&page_num=3&start=16

Gold Member

Post Number: 7038
Great post, Stephen.
Very good article, easy to understand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
Juggy. If i was you with a bit of money to spair and a good room, I'd buy 4 bookshelfs to use as your surrounds a centre channel and a subwoofer. Then for music and movies the sound will be superior straight away. Plus there won't be a 110hz crossover problem. You dont want a subwoofer doing all the bass work as it will sound boomy and undefined.

Of course you will have to choose a suitable amplifier to allow both music and movie modes you desire and any other features you want. HK and Pionneer are recommendenations because I've not heard anyone really say a bad thing about them. Then perhaps check out wharfedale diamond 9 hcp 5.1 as a surround setup. Because I love wharfedale.

Just a suggestion for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Thanx guyz.
Howz Mordaunt Short bookshelves compared to the Wharfedales?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us