Equip audition in NYC

Username: Jv1997

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to put together a new system - and have no experience whatsoever. I thought I would start by listening to some equipment to get an idea of what I like. Any recommendations on where (in NYC) I can do that?

A few details that may help-
* I'm looking to keep this in the $2000 to $3000 range (speakers + sub + receiver).
* Listening will be 70% movies, TV and 30% music
* I live in a small manhattan apt - the living room is 12 x 18 - open to a kitchen. But I intend to keep this system for a while so there is a good chance it will be used in a significantly larger room.

Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1796
Are you looking for a 2 channel stereo, or a surround sound set up?

NYC can be a tough place to find good audio gear that's affordable. It seems like everything is either mass market junk, or absurdly expensive.

A good place to start might be Harvey's. They've got a few stores in Manhattan. Funny thing about them is that I think different stores have some different gear. They all carry the main products.
http://harveyonline.com/

Park Avenue Audio may also have some affordable gear.
http://www.parkavenueaudio.com/

J&R has some decent gear for pretty good prices.

Some higher end stores are Sound By Singer and In Living Stereo.

Post Number: 2
I'm looking for a surround sound set up. Thanks for the info, I'll some stuff and get back with more questions.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1797
It may be a little tough to get a full surround system for $2-$3000 from those places, except for J&R. I don't know your budget, nor any other financial concerns you have, so take this as you will -

Have you considered buying an AV receiver and 2 speakers with the money you have now, and gradually adding the rest of the speakers as time moves on? I say this because you mention having a small room, you want to have the system for a while, and you may use it in a larger room down the road.

Also keep in mind what kind of movies you're watching. When I first started out, I was looking for a surround system too. A very good and honest dealer kept me from making that mistake. When we evaluated what I'll need, we determined that a good 2 channel set up was so much better for me. I mainly watch comedy movies, sit coms, and sports games. Nothing I watch on even a semi-regular basis has any noteworthy sound effects which transform the movie experience. My stereo with 2 speakers sounds great with TV/DVDs that I own, and the extra speakers aren't anywhere near worth the trouble and money.

I walked into that dealer's store expecting to start a system that would have been around $4 or $5000 after all was said and done, and walked out empty handed and pretty happy that day. I did buy a lot of 2 channel gear from him later on down the road though.

For $3000, you can get 2 channel stereo that'll sound great with music and very good with TV and DVDs, provided that you don't need the sound effects. Like everything else in life, their are trade offs.

The best advice I can give is to got to a few different stores and see what they've got. Check out stuff above and below your intended budget as well. This will give you an idea of what to expect from a few different price points. You may find you need a few extra dollars, or you may find that you don't need to spend as much.

Let us know how it goes. And most of all, don't take this stuff too seriously. Its supposed to be fun.

Post Number: 3
That is very helpful. I hadn't really given much thought to 2 channel stereo, I'll consider those as well since as you mention most of what I watch probably does not justify surround.

My budget is quite flexible - the initial numbers I threw out were based on the few things I have read and a vague idea of what might be a reasonable sum to spend. I'm quite willing to go higher or lower once I get a sense what what I like and want.

I definitely plan to have fun with this - I find the process of buying something much more exciting than actually getting it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7041
I also run stereo and a sub.
The player will make all the difference in the performance and especially the spoken word. PCM is a compression of sorts, but a good one, and the dvd player is critical to good listening.

Beyond the film, you get a great stereo!

A small sub makes the movies good too, considering your apt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us