Budget floor speakers

Username: Jb2c

Post Number: 1
Looking for recc. on a pair of budget floor speakers for the bonus room. Don't need loud, but do want something that has clean sound. I have someone offering used Wharfedale Valdus 400's to me at $150, which sounds like an OK (nothing great, but OK?) price, and that's about what I was going to spend. Are there any other used floorstanding speakers I should consider around this price point. I have JBL L80t's downstairs and they're an OK speaker. Will I be disappointed when comapring the Valdus 400's to the JBL?

JB

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10297

Ok, how many used speakers sell for around $150? This sounds like a great way to pick speakers. How can you be disappointed if your prime objective is spending $150?

Are you kinda gettin' my point here?

Post Number: 2
My objective is to get the best speaker for that price. Yes, the objective is to spend $150. And to get the best speaker possible for that $150. No bookshelf models please. Best to me means most clarity, but with reasonably good bass. There are probably tons of used speakers out there around my price point. Which is why I need the best advice I can get to guide me to an intelligent selection.

As far as other components, don't know yet as I'm going to look into a 'new to me' used amp, probably integrated.

JB

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10299

"There are probably tons of used speakers out there around my price point."

OK, you got that point. Well, maybe not tons of speakers, but at least a few thousand.

"Which is why I need the best advice I can get to guide me to an intelligent selection."

How are we supposed to know which models are available to you when you're shopping the used speaker market? It makes no difference if I recommend a speaker that you can't find or a speaker that I like but you don't.

"Best to me means most clarity, but with reasonably good bass."

I'm glad you could narrow the field, I was guessing you didn't want something that was muddy with lousy bass.

Not many people get to audition speakers when they buy used equipment. So, you either know you like a speaker before you make the purchase from the previous owner, or you make a crapshoot and hope for the best. At $150 everything is a crapshoot. Sorry, but that ain't much money. Go listen to your buddy's speakers, maybe they'll be just what you want - for $150.

Here's the facts about used speakers; good to excellent speakers will retain their value for long periods of time while not so great speakers loose value quickly. There aren't many "great" speakers that sell for $150. So, you are left with a vast ocean of OK speakers. Pick a pair and, unless they are truly awful, you'll live. If you like JBL's, but more JBL's. One thing about used speakers is, if you truly don't like them, you can resell them for what you paid.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 970
I think in the sub $150 category these Polk R300 for $100/pr + s/h are a great deal.

http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BT7YIXs04e9AdM9K2T65CFQ**.node1%7D/product/4965501;jsessionid=T7YIXs04e9AdM9K2T65CFQ**.node1?site=sr:SE ARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Post Number: 3
Chris, the R300 is actually on my short list. How about if I list the ones I had seen that seem to be in my price range. If I do it that way, can I get some feedback on these?

Polk R300
Polk RT-400
Polk 8T
B&W DM220
Klipsch Synergy F-3
Paradigm Phantom V.2
Paradigm Monitor 5
Wharedale Valdus 400

JB

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 972
I don't think those are all under $150?

They're all reputable companies, so it's really up to you.

Like Jan said, you need to need to audition, audition, audition.

From the list you complied, I'd go with the B&W, I think? I haven't heard them all.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 57
If I could find some used Klipsch F3's for 150 bones I'd snap those up pretty damned fast. Same goes for the Paradigms...

Post Number: 4
Did more research last night, and have narrowed the list down to:

Polk 8T
Wharfedale Valdus 400
Klipsch Synergy F-3
B&W DM220
Wharfedale Sapphire SP-87

The Phantom didn't seem to have good reviews. The Monitor 5 was a tough call, but I think I'd end up wanting a sub to go with it to get the lows, and I'd prefer not to have to spend the money on a sub in that room.

I threw in the Wharfedale Sapphire SP-87. Seemed to have good reviews and it's in my price range. I may have to bump up to $200 to get it.

Any comments on these five choices? My room is 14' X 25', carpeted, and typical sheetrock walls. Speakers will either be on spikes or short stand. Right now, I have a Technics SA-R377 receiver to hook them to, but will be looking into something different soon. All recc. there appreciated as well. Mostly music, but I'm sure I'll end up watching some movies in that room as well.

I'd love to go audition any of these, or others, but that's not an option where I live. So I'm relying on you guys!

JB

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 612
I had the Sapphires and loved them. However, they are the total antithesis of your JBL. The highs are extended and VERY smooth, but are a little laid back.

The midrange is good, as is the bass performance. They are on the warm side of neutral. They may not be to your taste. I tend to like warmer speakers, but this isn't always the case.

The Klipsch S-3 I am not a fan of, point blank. I think the S-2 has better integration with the tweeter and tighter bass.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 59
Interesting that you would say that about the S-3 Gavin. I own the S-2 and I assumed that the S-3 would be similar in sound. I really like my S-2s BTW...

Post Number: 5
Gavin, did you have the Sapphire SP-87, or a different Sapphire? Also, I see Sapphire 87 and Sapphire SP87. Any difference, or is it just terminology?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 614
I had the Sapphire SP87. The SP87 is the speaker name, where Sapphire is the lineup.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1794
Gavin,

Is that the line that Tweeter carries/carried?

If so, I heard them once or twice. They look very nice, and I think they're designed by either Henry Kloss or someone from Harmon Kardon's pre-JBL, Infinity, etc. era.

I didn't think they were bad, but they didn't impress me either. But, they were in a questionable room being driven by a Yamaha AVR and DVD player. How were they in a decent room with good electronics?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 617
Stu... the line you are thinking is Sapphire Audio. Tweeter carried them.

The company was started by the former CEO of Infinity.

I have never heard those particular speakers, but admit that when I first saw them that I thought Wharfedale brought the Sapphires back. They have a similar appearence.

Post Number: 6
Any comments on the DM 220 or the Valdus 400?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 622
The Valdus was more of home DJ style speaker. They were geared more for SPL and bass output than overall sound quality.

If you listen to a lot of rap music, these will do you nicely. Anything that requires a bit of refinement (jazz) will show them to have issues in the crossover range IMHO.

The bass wasn't also the tightest I have heard. I think the Sapphire SP-87 was better in this reguard.

Also, if you plan on playing loudly, the sapphire may not be the best bet. They play plenty loud, get me wrong. But the Valdus will play louder without strain.

For what I MYSELF listen to, I would chose the Sapphire. But, your ears are going to be different from mine. You may not even hear what I heard with the valdus.

My advice to you is look at www.audioreview.com for reviews on both speakers. Look carefully at both the positive and negative ones. This goes for any speaker purchase as well, if you don't have the opportunity to hear them firsthand.

With that said, I loved my Sapphires. They weren't the best speakers I have heard, by a wide margin. But, the majority of what they did, they did to my satisfaction. The bass was smooth and fairly tight. The midrange (especially lower midrange) was delivered with a wholesome, rich warmth. The highs were a little relaxed, but detailed.

I haven't heard these speakers in several years, but this is what I remember of them. Keep in mind that as my tastes have changed because of my magnepans, I may not like them now as much as I used to.

Post Number: 7
Gavin, OK. Thanks very much! I listen to pop and easy listening. No rap for me. No jazz or classical either. Sounds like the SP87 would do well for me. What about the B&W DM220 or the Polk 8T??

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 626
I am not overly familiar with the B&W, nor am I the Polks. The last time I heard the Polk Monitor series, I wasn't terribly impressed. I felt that the Paradigm Monitors were smoother and less boxy.

Bronze Member
Username: Sigsegv0x0b

Post Number: 23
I have Monitor 5 V.4 and I can't complain about the quality of the Bass. It's not something it's lacking and I would say it's precision and quality is VERY good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us