Troubleshooting Sound Drop Outs

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 74
I have a Rotel RSX-1056 Receiver and Rotel 1095 Amp which power my Sony SACD player (amongst other pieces in my HT system). I continue to be experiencing dropouts of sound from both the left/right channels when I play CDs only. This has been going on for a while now and after doing a lot of reading up on the subject, I was convinced that the issue was with the AudioSource EQ that I have installed to equalize my CD only. Well- I have gone through my third replaced EQ from AudioSource and am still getting these dropouts. I know that it can't be the EQ again as I by-pass the EQ and can still hear the sound dropouts.

So- where do I go from here? If the issue is not the EQ, then it has to be either the CD Player, Amp or receiver. Again - the issue only occurs when playing CDs and is not experienced with any other input. I have the CD player running into the Rotel's "CD" input and then the front channels are bi-amped into the Amp. For those of you who have read my posts before. you know that my system is very intricate and I don't want to be pulling it apart to conduct a science project to find the problem. Any help or ideas for simple testing that you can provide is most appreciated as always. Thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10294

If you don't want to be conducting "science" experiments, pull the CD player and take it in for repair. The tech will put it on a side bench and run it for a few weeks to listen for dropouts. If none are found, you can retrieve your player and put it back in your system and then pull the receiver. Take it in for repairs and the tech will do the listening for you. After about a month of your system being in the shop, a tech might find the problem. Or not. And, if not, you'll be back on the forum asking us to solve your problem. Which we can't do.

I've glanced at your system profile and it's no more "intricate" that most member's HT systems. You are going to have to pull cables and isolate the problem unit. If your answer so far has been to replace stuff that you assume is defective, you need to get into a logic mode and search out the problem rather than just assuming something is wrong. There is no other solution than to start buying all over again and throw out what you now own.

So, get the system to the simplest set up you can manage, which would be the CD directly into the receiver. Take the power amp out of the system and run the speakers off the receiver. Make certain the cables you use are working properly, it would be a good idea to buy a new cable to run from the player to the receiver. Isolate which discs and when on each disc the problem occurs. If the problem is in the CD player, it should be fairly repeatable. If the problem is in the receiver, switching to another input might isolate the problem. But, if you want to find the unit responsible for the droputs, you are going to have to experiment and use your head - not ours.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 75
I respect and appreciate your input, as condescending as it may be. What you have read in my system profile is the equipment in my HT system - not how it goes together. All of the equipment is IR controlled with the Rotel equipment located in a different room than where the TV is located. The CD Player, EQ and Blue Ray Player are also located in the back of the room that houses the TV. It is quite elaborate. The equipment was professionally installed and the wiring is all neatly bundled.

I was trying to avoid a science experiment strictly because once I start removing and unbundling all of the wires, I am not experineced enough to get it all back together. In addition, you talked about replacing the wire from the CD to the Receiver. In my set up, this is a fished 30 foot cable which again would be difficult to do.

I do realize there will be work involved here to figure this out, but was hoping to get some ideas to start this out easy and then ultimately work into the more difficult as necessary.

The CD player is not likely the issue as I have experienced the drop-outs with both my new and old CD players. I am leaning toward the receiver and will continue to try and do some testing to pinpoint the problem. Any other useful ideas that don't require years of wiring and installation experience would be most helpful.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10296

My reply was not meant to be condescending but rather matter of fact. A system goes together the same way no matter how many rooms it takes up or how many IR's are in between the pieces. And you track down problems the same way no matter how elaborate the install. You have to approach the system logically with a flow chart in your head. The only way to solve your problem is to hunt down the faulty unit with a memory of what caused - or might cause - which problem, in other words, paying attention to when the problem occurs, is it repeatable or not, and what might unit could cause such a dropout. I know of no substitute for unplug, plug and listen. If someone else can come up with a better method of eliminating potential problems, I'm all ears, or eyes in this case.

I would sugggest you begin by putting the CD player with the receiver. Run a one meter cable between them. A fished cable, possibly made up on the job site, would make me suspicious of its quality, "professionally installed" or not. If you suspect the receiver, which I doubt at this point, pull it out and take it for repairs. If you lack the knowledge or skills to put back what is taken away, call your installer and pay to have the system troubleshot, taken down, repaired and replaced. You won't be the first to pay for this service. Get the installer or shop that did the original install just in case it is a problem with the cables and to avoid hearing, "I don't know why they did it this way ... ". If the installer made up a cable on the site and it is defective, you shouldn't have to pay for faulty workmanship. But I know of no way to troubleshoot intermittent problems over a forum other than suggest what I have suggested.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6998
Plug the cd player into aux.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us