Klipsch Heresy III...any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 947
Any thoughts about the updated Klipsch Heresy III? Have heard them? Do you own them? Would you like to own them?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/heresy-iii.aspx

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 505
I think I'd rather have the Cornwalls.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6958
yes.no.no.yes.

If the impedence is stable, they would be great with a mid-powered tube amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10287

The full horn based Klipsch speakers are, IMO, the only good choices from the company. That means start listening to the LaScala. While vintage Heresy's sell for high dollar, I was never a Heresy fan. The box is too small for the woofer, it has no bass beneath 70Hz, and the enclosure bangs and resonates to the extent you have one note bass over most of the frequency range where a good $200 speaker now beats the Klipsch with ease. The horns in the mid and high frequencies are, again IMO, terrible. The speaker has "jump" and some think "clarity" but they are not my cup of tea. The only thing I agree with regarding the Heresy is the name. If you are looking for a fairly high efficiency speaker, for whatever reason, there are better choices. There are, to be as fair as possible, legions of Klipsch fans who cut their teeth on Heresy's. And, just so you know, I sold Klipsch for years and I own speakers which are about as far from the Klipsch sound as possible, Rogers LS3/5a BBC monitors at 82dB sensitivity.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 948
Well, I guess I'll cross them off my list.

Yes, I am looking a pair of high efficiency speakers. I'm going to pick-up an Trends Audio TA-10.1 T-Amp, to play around with. I missed out on a pair of Klipsch Synergy SB-2 on eBay (lost by $2!). Believe it or not, I'm considering a pair of Cerwin-Vega! CLS-6 (if I can win a cheap pair on eBay), I'd like to see if they deserve the lousy reputation they have.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6970
CM, why would you cross anything off of your list because of one opinion on a forum?
You have seen enough to know that you have to form your own opinion.
Disregarding a speaker based on words is like dismissing the music based on archetecture.
Go and listen to them!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 949
Well, I won the T-Amp, now for the speakers....stay tuned.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 950
Nuck, If Jan thinks they're Klipsch-cult'ish at best, then I think it's safe to say I can wait to get around to listening to them.

Further, they ain't cheap, even on sale for $499 (open-box) each at onecall.com., and I'll be damned if I know a single place to audition these in ALL of NYC?

I think an efficient pair or Klipsch Synergy, or even C-V! might be more up my alley for now.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 951
One point on the Heresy III.

Klipsch claims it has made some significant improvements to the construction of the Heresy IIIs over past models. It might be fair to say that the newer model may address some of the cabinet issues Jan brought up, but the lack of a low-end seams to be consistent in the several reviews I've read.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6972
OK, man, if ya gotta go by reading and can't listen.
Don't come back and say you bought something else you could not listen to!

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 192
Nope. Top end is too harsh for my taste. But don't let my or anyone else's opinion deter you if they sound good to you.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 952
OK, I'll take the pair of C-V! CLS-6 I just won on eBay for $72 and leave this board in shame.

...Nah! I'll post a review ASAP. This should be fun.

I hope you shan't be cross with me Nuck?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1786
I may lose a little credability here, but CVs aren't all that bad. HiFi? Absolutely not. But they can be a fun speaker if you keep in mind what they're trying to accomplish. They can be a great party speaker and even a good background music speaker.

If you plan to sit in front of them and critically listen to them, buy something else. For a speaker that'll take a beating and keep going, or a speaker to have out and play while a group of friends eat, it'll definately do its job.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 953
As I understand it, these new C-V! were designed by Bill Bush, a respected designer from NHT, who I know absolutely nothing about. But I have heard NHT speakers and they ain't too shabby.

Stu, I suspect these CLS-6 might be better than previous C-V! products. Either way, I think I'll enjoy them. The price was certainly right.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 954
The C-V! CLS-6 & my Mission M32i are both rated at 90dB, so a it'll be a fair fight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6979
Hey CM, those Vega's might be better than expected.
You have lots of power, and they love that.
I wanna hear what you have to say.

Of course, I have to introduce...Bambi!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 955
Did I mention the seller requested that I pay him in $1 bills.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6981
No doubt about the price, CM.
You will only have to dance for 2 hrs to get that many singles.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 956
I don't mind the thong, but it's those damn stiletto heels that kill your feet after an hour or two.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2013
I was all set to write something about the Heresy but now the thread is about CV. All I have to say about those is that I have also heard about the NHT engineer hired to voice the new lineup.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 161
CM, what do you do with all these speakers after listening to them?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1001
Since I usually only pick up speakers that are on-sale, I've been able to sell the few pairs I haven't been able to find good homes for on craigslist or ebay, without taking to large a hit in the wallet.

I currently have 3 pairs, the Mission M32i ($175), M70 ($70), and C-V! CLS6 ($72). I've sold-off my Monitor Audio Radius 5.1 set-up ($1,100) & a pair of Boston Acoustic CR77 ($106), and my brother has the Infinity Alpha 20 ($97) & Polk R15 ($39), my cousin still has my original Optimus Pro LX-8 ($75).

Gold Member

Post Number: 7112
PG, go ahead and put it back in line with the OP.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2014
PG, go ahead and put it back in line with the OP.

I haven't heard the Heresy III, and people say it is an improvement on the Heresy II. It isn't cheap by any means, so value is in the eye of the beholder. It's not made overseas; it's one of the few speakers to be hand-made in the US. Buy one new and it will likely be due for a capacitor overhaul in 20 to 30 years but otherwise just fine. It will last a very long time.

The low frequecy response of the Heresy II isn't all that, but it's a fine speaker set to small crossed over at 80 Hz or so. I use one as center speaker between Klipschorns and it marries pretty well. It lacks the effortless dynamics of the bigger horns and I would consider upgrading to a single used vertical Cornwall if one came across my path.

For the price of new Heresy III, I would instead consider buying used in the bigger models if I had the space and room geometry (Cornwall, La Scala, Klipschorn). But that's just me.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4657
Peter, good to see you again. How have you been up there in the frozen Northland?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7123
Peter, for that money, can you justify the speaker being set to small?
I see your LaScala point, that would be a great center speaker.
In Dodger stadium.

I forget, how big is your room?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1002
This is what piqued my interest in the Heresy III http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=84978 , quite a bit better than the usual price.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2016
Hi Art. Believe it or not, I saw a few flakes of snow falling yesterday. It's taking a long time to warm up this year. There's almost no snaow left on the ground, but it's still cold outside.

Nuck, I set my La Scala to small too so it doesn't bother me to set a Heresy to small. However I love the bass on Klipschorns; it sounds very natural. Gotta love big orchestral drums on played on them.

I keep changing my room layout until I actually put up dividing walls on my basement. Currently about 20 feet wide and 18 feet deep.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2017
This is what piqued my interest in the Heresy III http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=84978 , quite a bit better than the usual price.

Yeah. If they shipped to Canada I might be tempted to buy one to use as center speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7137
Pete, snow in May just ain't right, in either official language.
Tabernac!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2018
You got that right!

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1076
Chris,

One call is in Spokane and I am amazed that they're running the Heresys, that's a higher priced speaker than they normally carry, but then, I was fairly unimpressed with them so I am more with Jan and Peter on this one.}

Jan,

Thanks for convincing me that I'm not crazy. My good friend who rebuilt my ALs loaned me a pair of his rebuilt Heresys. I tried to like them but I thought the bass was muddy, the mids were so so and the treble wasn't very clear. But, other than that, they were a very fine speaker.

Worse yet, I had my Ascends on hand, Tim had just sent me his Emmas, which I reviewed, and he returned with my Altec Lansings. He listened to the Emmas and was unimpressed while I was blown away. So, what's the old adage you guys keep saying about listening for yourself.

I would not have owned the Heresys at any price and, IMHO, they didn't even hold up to the Ascends, which I purchased for 1/4 of the price. So, to each his own.

Now, on the bright side, we both agreed that the rebuilt ALs were wonderful but now I wonder if I can trust his ears. LOL

Gotta love this speaker business, huh?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1007
After all the good things I've read about the Emmas, I'm surprised you & your buddy could have such diametrically opposed opinions?

There should be some commonality amongst object listeners. I think someone has a bad ear, and I don't think it's you.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 544
I can't say that would shock me. Emma and any Klipsch speaker have a very different set of strengths and weaknesses.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1008
Any word on the status of Alegria Audio these days? Tim hasn't updated his site in some time.

I think the heir apparent to the Emma (if Alegria has bit the dust) might be the upcoming AV123 X-LS Super Wave Guide http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-ls+Super+Wave+Guide+%28swg%29 or perhaps the X-Pro http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-pro+monitor .

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 546
Dunno what Tim is up to these days. However, while AV123's new speakers will feature some of the tricks of Tim's designs (XBL motor), I still doubt they will capture the same magic his designs did.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10380

Last time I heard from Tim he merely stated his business plan had changed. No word on how or in what direction his business would take him. Tim's products benefitted from his desire to build a business from love for the result. His choice of drivers and enclosure construction were well above the average for the price he asked. Not many are going to follow that route as, if Tim's departure from the business world is any indication, it doesn't bode well for a successful business plan when rocks get under the tires. Unfortunately, margin is still a necessity and cannot be replaced by volume.

Dak, when I was selling Klipsch I ocassionally found someone who could not decide between a Klipsch and something very different in character. However, more often than not, a Klipsch fan was a Klipsch fan. That they had thought or even convinced themself they wanted a Klispch years earlier was typically true. At that time in the Southern US Klispch was a trusted name while Celestion was not.

If someone likes what a Klipsch does well, then Emma is a long stretch of priorities away. My opinion remains it will depend on a reference point and whether the listener is comparing speakers to live music or to another speaker. Many of us tend to get caught up in things that have little to do with how music is reproduced vs. how the speaker compares to some theoretical ideal of how a speaker should sound. If the reference is what you've read about rather than what you've heard, your priorities might be quite surprising. If you don't even have those references to go by, well, all bets are off the table.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1077
Well guys,

I will check in with Tim and see "wassup"? Certainly, I hope his dream of a smaller, direct manufacturer with incredible components and construction at reasonable prices hasn't pettered out. Tim's products were remarkable in quality, especially at his pricing and I still hope to own a pair of Emmas, even if I use them in a small set-up initially.

Jan, again, we agree on this. I want my speakers to produce the sounds that I hear when I listen to live music. I don't want it colored by someone's review of what "music sounds like", I already know that. Now, this gets us back to the "Do you listen?" debate about how good my ear is versus someone else's ear and whether my ear "colors" what I like to hear in a speaker. But, I don't think we need to revisit that one hear.

I'm on vacation for a change so I've had a little time to read about what each of you are up to and what's new. Geez, it's nice to just breathe for a moment. ENJOY and Aloha from Maui.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1009
Jan, I'm enjoying The Essential Elvis, Vol.6 (My 1st & only Elvis album), thanks.

AV123 is doing some very interesting stuff, and despite their almost cultish following, I wouldn't be too quick to discount what it is they are doing. They seem to be selling a lot of speakers, they have expanded production (to Columbia?), and seem to have a real desire to continually raise the bar in terms of quality & price. I've yet to read anything less than a glowing review of any of their products, for what that's worth.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1010
Anybody here attending this show Home Entertainment Show in NYC this weekend?

http://www.homeentertainment-expo.com/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1080
Chris,

Not me, Maui suits me fine for now. LOL Enjoy and report, though, Dave

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1016
...Manhattan's an island too you know.