Speakers crackling

Username: Biga524

Post Number: 8
just set this up
Onkyo TX-SR804
Polk RTi10

im not blasting them but when the highs get going they start crackling..i set them up wrong?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13807
From what source are you listening? What material? MP3?

Post Number: 9
optical..pretty much all

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6943
Andrew, try a good wma file and let us know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6944
good being one from a rip from a good cd, not a download

Post Number: 10
hmm...the only thing not optical is the cd player..I plugged in my ps3, dvd and tv through D.O..it does it through all...Also have my directv plugged in through rca and it has done a second buzz..maybe the wires are touching?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13812
You did not answer the question.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
source as in? dvd, video 1 2 3 , cd? material as in music? I was trying all types. I played a cd. motley crue and dvd- blues. watching movie now with no crackling but its not up that high...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6946
Unplug everything and use one componant at a time, see if one source componant is the culprit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i bought some new speaker wire 16g and seperated them from my other cables and the speakers still crackel and there also is a hum. any else that can be causing this or should i rewire everything?

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 209
Think about blown or damaged speakers. Try connecting them to some other receiver or amp, if available, to rule that out (or in).

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10347

JBJ, drawing from your vast knowledge and experience with all things gone wrong ...

Just what type of "blown" or "damaged" speakers would crackle? How would that sort of damage occur? Can speakers create sound that isn't coming from the source? How?

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
ABCDEFG,HIJKSOB

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 645
I know you are being sarcastic Jan, but my Wharfedales had something similar happen to them, and that is why I got rid of them. The left tweeter imparted a tizzy, grainy sound to female vocals, strings, and cymbals thanks to a friend driving them to what Andre would deem reasonable :-P... Sorry Andre, couldn't resist.

They were out of warranty. So, I sold them to a college of mine who has SP-83. They bought a tweeter direct from Wharfedale and replaced it. I liked them, but this gave me an excuse to go for the Maggies.

To me, it sounded like an issue with the voice coil.

To be fair to those speakers, they were abused by a friend of mine. They did not come like that from the factory.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 646
your speaker may have a loose wire, x-over issues, or an issue with the voicecoil IMHO.

If you DID blast it at one point, the voicecoil may have suffered dammage.

Also, is this one speaker or both... you were not clear about that. I am assuming it is one, and am going by that with what I just wrote.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 466
C'mon guys, its Andre were talking about here. He pushed em beyond their limits, now they suffer!

Andre, you should've just turned up the bass!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10349

AWWWWWWW, Guys!!!!!!

You're giving JBJ way too much help here. Obviously he can barely type the alphabet.
(Take more meds, JBJ.)

I just thought it would be interesting to have JBJ explain something other than why he's so unhappy being here. Never mind, we all know how much JBJ knows about this stuff.

All hat, no cattle.

FOJBJ.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2402
Ha, David. Wow I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic, but I'm guessing you are. Yeah I don't turn up the bass anyway, and it's only the speaker in my room (2.5" and free) that I recently got smoke to come out of from turning it up too loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Gavin, the sad thing about it is Jan is not being sarcastic. He can't stand it when someone gives suggestions that differ from his gibberish.Some of us really care about probelm solving. Others like Jan are only interested in blowing their own horns. All you have to do is realize that most of the time he's full of bull.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10353

I can't stand it when someone pretends they know something when they know nothing. Just admit you have no place on this forum, wiley, and this trauma will all be over for you.

All hat, no cattle.

FOJBJ.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7108
Yeah, but Jones DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Cept'n it was in the parking lot in his little pickup

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Nuck, I enjoyed your post for the first time. I have no idea what Janis is talking about. OOPS. Pardon the typo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7116
Even a blind monkey finds a banana once in a while.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10360

Good God, wiley, you idiot!!!!!

Janis?!!!! Do they really let you at the computer in preschool or have you snuck into the head mistress' office? Hoping for a good spanking? Wetting you pants till you get caught? Just how juvenile are you going to get here? You can't even come up with something reasonable intelligent as an insult!!!!!!!!!!!! What's the point? You are the most worthless thing I've come across since I cleaned three day old dog crap off my lawn. Grow up. Get lost. God save us from wiley/JBJ.

Hey, JBJ, do you get the feeling that no matter what anyone thinks of me, they are certain you're an idiot? No, you can't read, can you?

All hat, no cattle.

FOJBJ.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7125
On my side, it's

A lot of feathers, not much chicken.

But that's a Kim Mitchell song line.
'I am a wild party'.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I hooked up a suuround speaker to the left side and there was no crackling...I also tested the right polk out pretty good and there was no crackling,... so its the left polk speaker..or can the left side of reciever still be messed up and cant handle the polks?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7134
Andrew, if the speaks are out of warranty, you might open it up and check the crossover connections, or the board itself. Like a cold solder joint.
If you are timid about this, call a buddy who ain't. You really do not need a service center for this one, at least to start.
From the info you have posted, your procedure is correct, and you have pinpointed the problem.
Let us know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I swapped the channels and its the left speaker..we can elminate the reciever..its either the tweet or mid...

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2019
As others have said, a scratchy speaker can be caused by a loose wire inside, a cold solder on the crossover circuit, a damaged voice coil, or one with foreign material rubbing in the voice coil gap.

About 2 years ago, I had a scratchy mid-horn on a Klipsch La Scala. I removed the driver and carefully opened it up and swipped a piece of paper around the coil gap to retrieve a tiny piece of bare wire. All was fine after reassembly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
upon further review it seems like the right is doing..maybe i didnt pay enough attention to it..didnt notice it until i dropped the level on it..but the smaller speaker wasnt doing it...????!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
Janis has flipped all the way out.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10374

Another technical tour de force from JBJ. And it only took three days to come up with that reply.

All hat, no cattle.

FOJBJ.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10375

OK, wiley, you've proven yourself totally worthless once again. You've learned nothing from your last stay and expulsion from the forum. I'm through responding to you. From now on anything you post in reference to me will be sent to the administrator and you'll go bye-bye once again. You get to decide whether you stay or go. Play nice with the other kids or get kicked out again.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 177
So this is where it ends. Bye Jimbob Idiotpants

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Who is "Wiley". Sounds like someone I need to know. Janis has flipped all the way out. Now he is threatening people who have not posted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
nice person at polk told me the speakers or the reciever or both are reaching there peak...how is that possible?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 648
if the receiver is "reaching the peak", it means the distortion you are hearing is what is known as clipping.

I thought you already ruled out the receiver when you switched the speaker to a different channel and it still did it.

If that particular channel on the receiver was clipping, it would have still came out that side even though you switched speakers.

Sounds like Polk is trying to blame Onkyo.

If the SPEAKERS hit their limits, it means that you are in danger of blowing them. All things being equal, if this were to be the case I believe that you would hear it out of both speakers, and have to drive them loudly for this to happen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ok..just to clarify..I had the regular setup..no crackle at lower levels. they sound good. In the end both speakers crackle at higher levels. Also when I played with the sound levels, turn one channel up and the other down it did it on the channel with the lower level. I switched the left and right channel and it still did it. At the lower volume levels there is no crackle..but There is a buzz that occurs every so often. I did hook up one surround speaker to the left channel and heard nothing but with the smaller speaker am i gonna hear it?...
Im in the process of getting my old infinitys back in the next few days and that should decide it..
So if its not the reciever what were saying is that the onkyo cant handle the RTi10s?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2023
If turning one channel up and the other down leads to clackling on the lower-level one, then it sounds like amplifier problems to me.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10382

"nice person at polk told me the speakers or the reciever or both are reaching there peak...how is that possible?"

"I had the regular setup..no crackle at lower levels. they sound good. In the end both speakers crackle at higher levels. Also when I played with the sound levels, turn one channel up and the other down it did it on the channel with the lower level. I switched the left and right channel and it still did it. At the lower volume levels there is no crackle..but There is a buzz that occurs every so often."

I don't believe we've ever established what "higher levels" are to you, AB. Just how far up the wick are you running this system? Are you applying any tone controls or loudness compensation? Are there any other itmes, such as an EQ, in the line?

All amplifiers and speakers have their limits and you are possibly reaching the physical limits of your system. If so, the noises you hear are nothing more than clipping from the amplifier. However, speakers don't suddenly "buzz" on their own, unless you have damaged a driver to the point where it hits against it own suspension. Where'd you buy this gear, AB, and how long ago? I think at this point I would ask the shop where you bought the speakers to run them a bit and listen for problems. You should have a five year warranty on the speakers and the shop should do this out of good customer service policies. Take some of your CD's with you for a reference. If there are particular spots on the CD's that always excite the problem, make note and have the shop play those segments while you listen. My suspicions are the amplifier is at fault but having the shop check the speakers on a known-to-be-working receiver would be the easiset way to rule out speaker damage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
On the onkyo i had the volume at -17db. I drove my floorstanding infinitys harder. I did not play with any EQ or tones or loudeness. The gear is a month old..Reciever i bought from jr.com but the speakers are from ebay (powerseller) but he is willing to work it out if its the speakers..I really dont think its the speakers..with the buzzing every so often unless they came damaged..
They sound fine at a lower volumes and it seems like all speakers are working fine. ive owned speakers and recievers with the same ratings and have never had a problem like this.

as soon as my buddy brings back my old speakers and i test them out on the reciver i will post whats up...or should I try another reciver to the polks?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13987
Do both.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 7261
Push in on the cone and see if it make a scratchy noise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
"Think about blown or damaged speakers. Try connecting them to some other receiver or amp, if available, to rule that out (or in)."Jim Bob Jones

"Just what type of "blown" or "damaged" speakers would crackle? How would that sort of damage occur? Can speakers create sound that isn't coming from the source? How?"

"My suspicions are the amplifier is at fault but having the shop check the speakers on a known-to-be-working receiver would be the easiset way to rule out speaker damage." Jan Vigne

Uh Huh.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 661
If you push the cone you risk damaging it more. This is not a very good idea, especially if it is a tweeter. Push a tweeter and you are SURE to damage it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
If you don't have speaker damage, pushing in on the cones can certainly cause it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 667
especially the dustcaps... not a smart suggestion...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7211
Not necessarily.
If even pressure is applied around a driver(think vulcan mind meld)and even pressure is applied, there should be no resistance felt at all. A superior driver will do this with one point pressure(light), but not mine(wink).
Of course the tweeters are sacrosanct.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I didnt get my floorstanding infintys back yet but I hooked up both my surrounds this time and there crackling also..not sure why they didnt do it the last time??

Gold Member

Post Number: 7241
Try another receiver or something else, AB.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7242
Andrew, we have been around the block so many times, I know which parking spot is free.
Ya gotta isolate the issue for us to help.
Reviewing the thread leaves me dizzy.

Refocus, re-itemize the parts at your disposal and let's try again, if you would like.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10399

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 09:50 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Think about blown or damaged speakers. Try connecting them to some other receiver or amp, if available, to rule that out (or in)."Jim Bob Jones

"Just what type of "blown" or "damaged" speakers would crackle? How would that sort of damage occur? Can speakers create sound that isn't coming from the source? How?"

"My suspicions are the amplifier is at fault but having the shop check the speakers on a known-to-be-working receiver would be the easiset way to rule out speaker damage." Jan Vigne

Uh Huh.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10400

" ... I hooked up both my surrounds this time and there crackling also... "

Uh-huh what!, Jones?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10402

AB, unhook the speakers from the receiver and take one or both in for a shop to check out. I have to agree with Nuck that your logic in tracking down this problem leaves a bit to be desired. At this point all things suggest the amplifier is at fault. That's where I would start and I would let a technician, or at least someone with other speakers/amplifier confirm or reject the possiblity the amplifier is causing the noises. As I suggested, speakers tend to not make noise on their own while amplifiers do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I know Ive been alittle confusing here...Ive decided to send the reciever back since the 30 days is done tomorrow..When the new comes I will report back..

Gold Member

Post Number: 7250
OK Andrew, fair enough.
If yo can try the speaks with a buddy's amp, try that.

Let us know what happens, will ya?

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
Don't go away mad Janny Boy. Just go away.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10425

Yet another technical masterpiece meant to enlighten the masses. How does he do it so consistently?

All hat, no cattle.

You know the rest.

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
Let's all sing together now...

Oh Janny Boy, the freaks and geeks are calling...

"Yet another technical masterpiece meant to enlighten the masses. How does he do it so consistently?" Janny Boy

I must admit with all humility, sometimes I don't know myself.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 672
me thinks that Jim Bob needs to go play with Bob

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bob

In case you don't know what that is in reference to, it is definition #1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I was reading proper setup for speakers..How important is it to put the spikes on the speakers? Could this be the cause of the crackling?

btw..sent reciever in..waiting for new one..Hopeing it was the rec.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
"Could this be the cause of the crackling?"

I suppose in this world, anything is possible, but the absence of spikes would be a highly unlikely cause of crackling.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
I have a Johnson. I guess guys like Gavin have a Bob-a minaturized version.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 680
nope... I have girlfriend.

Don't need a bob

Although, I think JBJ has a meatspin.

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
May God bless her. She has my deepest sympathy.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 196
Hey JBJ, you randy warren and wiley are the same person?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 683
"May God bless her. She has my deepest sympathy."

MINE TOO!!!!

One in a million that can put up with me!

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
Gavin you have achieived redemption, my friend. Go with God. Shane, I wish I knew these guys. They sound like hero possibilities.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 687
Nuck,

That is good to know. I have always been instructed never to do apply direct pressure to speaker drivers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
And that is still the best/default advice.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 691
never to do apply?

um... ok I guess

Gold Member

Post Number: 7296
As stated, Gavin, even pressure against the whole driver will reveal any resistance to smoothtravel.
The only resistance that should be felt is that of the surround, and that should return smoothly with the release of your gentle pressure.
applying force evenly and from as far out as possible(mind meld again), will reveal any stiffness or scratching from the coil/plug.

Easy does it, you will not hurt anything.
Oh, and don't sneeze!

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
I hope Nuck is prepared to pay your repair bill Gavin when you mistakenly press too hard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7297
Jones, you lunkhead, what do you think happens when you lightly bottom the thing under power?
If it scratches under finger pressure, it is bad.

If it does not, there is no mechanical interference. I think Gavin and I are both a little more delicate with our hands and heads.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 692
<=====takes jackhammer to lowther cone and wonders why it doesn't work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7298
hehehe

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
"I think Gavin and I are both a little more delicate with our hands and heads."Nuck

Now that would be debateable. Not so much for Gavin.I would agree however, that your head is of light weight if that's what you mean by delicate.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7302
Jones, did you ever figgure out inter-modal distortion?
Thought not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
I see Nucklehead is back with ze sheet of ze bull.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7359
I see that Jones is still lucky to spell his name the same way twice in a row.
IM distortion, buttfuk?

Eat shite and die Jones/Ed/Fudd, still never a word of technical competence.

TrollBoy, find a hobby better suited to your abilities.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Ibid.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 157
Did you try another toslink or a regular cable and see if it still happens? Generally, speakers are only reproducing what is sent to them. A bad signal would be one of the first places I'd look.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I get a new receiver tomorrow..Will update soon after

Gold Member

Post Number: 7377
Let us know, Andrew?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Ladies and Gentlemen the results are in!

New Reciever has come.

No Crackling!!

In the end it was a bad reciever!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks to all and thanks for the most replys too a post i created

Gold Member

Post Number: 7387
Excellent, Andrew! Now tell all you friends to come here so we can tear our hair out over the next issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us