Connecting 2 speakers to each terminal

Mark
I would just like to ask if it is advisable to connect two speakers to each of the front speaker terminals on my AV receiver, I would like to connect a couple of floorstanding speakers aswell as some smaller satellites. My receiver is 100watts per channel, and both the floorstanding speakers and satellites say 200w, is there a possibility connecting them at the same time could damage either the receiver or the speakers?
Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Thanks.

Joe
Yes uou will possibly cause some damage, what is called clipping. You most likely not have the power to drive them if you play them loud.

Mark, what are the impedances of the speakers and the output of the amplifier.

You should try to match the impedances to ensure 'max power transfer' and minimise distortion.

If the output of the amplifier is rated at 4ohms and you have two 8ohm speakers, then connect them in parallel etc. If the amplifier is 8ohm, and you have two 4ohm speakers, connect them serially.

Hope that helps

Mat

Mark
Thanks for the reply Mat, the two small speakers say 8ohms and the two floorstanders say 4-8ohms, the instructions for the receiver say power output, stereo mode 6ohms, centre power 6ohms and rear power 6ohms, should i connect them in series or parallel? and would there still be a chance i could damage anything?

Thanks
Mark.

Odio Muzkashi
Hi, Mark.
I tell you the total inpedance when you connect them in parallel.
Two speakers into one output,
8ohms & 8ohms = 4ohms
8ohms & 6ohms = 3.4ohms (approximately)
8ohms & 4ohms = 2.7ohms (approximately)
6ohms & 4ohms = 2.4ohms
4ohms & 4ohms = 2ohms
and the point is how lower inpedance your amp assures.

timn8ter
Keep in mind the numbers Odio is using are nominal (average) impedance numbers. Resistance in loudspeakers fluctuates dramatically. Low frequencies can cause very low impedance numbers. This is what can cause damage. If that number gets too low your amp runs wild creating excessive heat and distortion which can fry circuits and speakers. You can probably get away with a 4 ohm nominal load, just use caution on your volume levels.

Anonymous
Have you ever wondered why pro drivers have such high impedance numbers?

Hi guys.

Can any of you's help me by telling me how to connect audio and power wires to scar speakers so i can connect them to my computer.

Thanks to any who can help.

gulash
To get the impedance in a parallel connection you need to multiply the impedance of the 2 speakers you want to connect and divide that number by the sum of the impedance of the 2 speakers and u get the new impedance.
if u are crazy but u want to connect more than 2 then
R = 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)+(1/R3).....)
R - being impedance
For the future
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us