Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 435
So.
Old speakers-Wharfedale Diamond 8.1
New speakers-Tannoy Sensys DC1

Used with:Cambridge Audio 540a
Positioning: Pathetic, I need to get some stands and place them properly. For now they're either side of my desk.

First impressions: Since I bought them second hand (1 month old..acclaimably) they were mentioned to have minor damage on the wood near the supertweeter. Ok I dont care about this. BUT ONE OF THE SUPERTWEETERS IS RIPPLED/squashed. I dont think this will affect the sound however, its just a bit crushed.

Anyway upon listening I have to say...hmm. I'm not as immediately impressed as i thought i would be. I rather think they sound almost the same as my wharfedale diamonds.

The presentation isnt brighter but cymbals and high frequences have a more tingly and precise sound. The high frequency response is really quite good and overall the speakers have a bit more detail. Separation is again slightly better, but not much.
Imaging is good-ish, but this is limited to my speaker placement which I will seriously be looking at.
Fine guitar details such as the plucking can be heard a lot easier and the Tannoys are quite engaging in summary.

I'll say I like both of my speakers. Although I think I've reached limitation of what my system can do now. I cant see a big enough leap. (at least for now, different placement may prove me wrong).

I think I'll keep them for a while and see how i get along with them. I like both speakers more for different reasons.

Thanks for reading.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2066
rippled tweeter = duff tweeter

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 436
Supertweeter. Well whatever they still sound great, its only the supertweeter not the actual tweeter. I may try a vacuum job on it and see if i can pull it back into shape lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Sigsegv0x0b

Post Number: 22
I had quite a bit of time listening to them. They're a nice speaker but no where near the best for the money. They have very good soundstaging. Sound feels much more room filling with them but they really lack low-end grunt and have horrible port noise. Their mids and highs seem to be their strong point very smooth and detailed. Never sibilant but very detailed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us