Rega Apollo Defective? Or incompatible with A/V system?

Username: Vacanuck

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 1
I purchased an Apollo Rega recently and am pleased (to say the least) with it's performance. The problem is that it skips from time to time and on one occasion emitted a popping sound. Once I advanced to the next song the popping stopped.

My dealer will happily replace the unit once he receives his next shipment, but here's the thing. I found in a forum elsewhere someone with similar problems and after exchanging for a new unit encountered the same issues. Here is what this fellow with similar issues said: "I've been told by my retailer and his importer the Apollo (and probably the Saturn) does not interact well with my system....They suspect either a ground loop or DC offset somewhere."

I also have ground loop issues.

I love the Apollo, but I want a stable unit. Anybody have any experiences like this?

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 98
I've never had any of those problems with my Apollo. Mine was bought right when they came out. I think it was the first wave of Apollos to reach North America.

If you have ground loop issues and there's a DC offset somewhere, then, it's not the Apollo that's unstable. It's your other gear and the electrical system in your home.

I just purchased the Saturn and I'm soon going to purchase a second Apollo for another syystem in my house. My first Apollo works wonderfully with no problems whatsoever. I'll try to come here and let you know how my second Apollo works, when I get it.

BTW, the Saturn is a wonderful player!!!

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 2
Thanks NM. I've isolated the ground loop issues and am dealing with those now.

It appears my unit does have problems so will be exchanging it for a replacement.

I think the Apollo is a great player. I've only been using this level of gear for about a year now and the CD player was the last piece to be upgraded. What a nice surprise it was listening to the Apollo. With my previous player (Denon 380 w/digital connection)it was at times fatiguing. The Apollo (with analog I/C's) tamed all that and brought my CD collection to life.

Thanks to you and others here I was steered towards the Apollo.

You've piqued my interest on the Saturn! Keep us posted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Hi VA Canuck.

Sorry to hear you have a defective Apollo. That sucks.

It makes wonder. You know, there were a few batches of early Apollos that had some problems, but supposedly Rega fixed the problem. I wonder if your Apollo is from one of those early batches, that your dealer had in stock?

If it's from a newer batch, it makes me wonder what's going onm with Rega. I'd hate to learn that they have another defective batch form recent production. It would certainly make me wonder about Rega's long term quality control.

Other thoughts that cross my mind.....

The CDs that are skipping on your player, are they production CDs from the record companies or CD-R/CD-RW that you burned?

Then there's the issue of the record labels producing CDs with malicious copy-protection encoding, that can cause a lot of CD Players to not be able to read the disc correctly and play the music. Wonder if that may contribute to your problem?

Regardless, I hope you get a fine working Apollo and enjoy the music.

Just in case you don't know, the Rega Apollo benefits greatly from an extended warm-up period and despite my previous disbelief in break-in time; the Apollo does require a good 200-300 hours of playing time, before it really starts sounding it's best. Around 400 hours the player is simply heaven (give or take 20-50 hours)!

I work from home, so I am fortunate to be able to get up in the morning and power-up my system and let the Rega Apollo (and all my gear) warm up for a few hours, before I'm ready to listen to some music.

In the past I have left my system on overnight, for a few nights a week; but I don't do that anymore for fear of a fire occuring, if something whacky happens inside my gear or with the power coming into my house.

Now I just power-up early in the morning and turn everything off when I'm ready for bed.

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 3
The dealer said my unit is new, not one of the ones from early last year with the soldering issue.

There doesn't seem to be any discrimination as far as what CD's skip. Some are old, some are new, they are all production CD's though, not CD-R/CD-RW.

I think my Apollo sounds great now, after only 25 hours of play. If it gets better (my replacement that is) after 200-300 hours then I am going to one happy guy. My wife will be happy too, she loves music as much as I do.

NMyTree - really appreciate your feedback here. Thanks!

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 4
It turns out the unit I purchased two weeks ago was an older one originally shipped to the dealer in January of 2006 (as determined by the serial number). This explains the issues I was having.

Rega is shipping a replacement.

All is good.

Bronze Member
Username: Grinsatlake

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 17
To VA Canuck & NMyTree: I now have approx. 300 hrs on my new Apollo and I can't believe how much more musical it sounds every night! Diana Krall, Michael Buble, Tony Bennett, Old Jazz and Country Western and occassional Classical all sound almost "real life". I try to listen critically and get sucked into the music. NMyTree, have you tried any A/C cables and rca hook up cables on your Apollo? Rick Grinstead

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 5
Rick - glad you are enjoying your Apollo so much. I've logged about 100 hours so far and am delighted by it's performance. The particular unit I have skips from time to time and is being replaced so I will have to break the new one in from scratch (which is no big deal).

What I love most about the Apollo is how it tamed the "fatigueness" I was hearing previously. I listen to a lot of jazz from the hard bop era (late 50's early 60's) and could only get through an hour or so of listening before tiring of it. Now I play music indefinitely and it sounds wonderful.

Am looking forward to my 300th hour!

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Hi Rick.

I use the Cobalt Cable's Ultimate Power Cable with my Rega Apollo. I also use the Cobalt Ultimate Interconnects.

But many here use several different interconnects and power cables with their Apollos.

I can't say one is better than any other. I immediately started using the Cobalt Cables when I first hooked up my Apollo and I'm quite satisfied with the sound I get. It is the sound I was shooting for. So I have no reason to change or experiment with the cables, since I am very satisfied.

Maybe some of the other guys can help you out on this one.

Username: Cowboy19

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 1
Found this site and thread after a Google search for "Apollo Problems" and would like to chime in. Bought my Apollo in February and had immediate problems with the player not being able to read some of my CDs and skipping through the first few seconds of the first track. Dealer sent me another one, but the problems continued. Like Doug, I love the sound but the problems are very frustrating! There are 4 or 5 of my (brand new) CDs that always seem to cause problems. The display reads "no disc", "disc blank" or "disc empty". If I open and close the lid enough times, all the CDs play eventually. I'm stumped. Apollo #3 is on the way. (#1 and #2 both had serial numbers in the 40,000 range).

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 8
Laurie
The serial number of my first Apollo (the defective one) was in the 36000 range. I was shipped a fresh one and is in the 43000 range. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the new one.

Good luck with #3.

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info Doug. I'll update after I get #3.

Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 4
Doug my heart goes out to you. Am on my third Rega Apollo already! They sound great, just not too sturdy. Next week a friend of mine is going to bring his Oppo 970 over for a head to head. Cant believe it'll stand a chance against the Rega but he said it equalled his Audio Refinement player. Maybe will get him to bring both for a three way.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4755
That's funny because it didn't equal an NAD C542 at my friends store. I replaced my C542 with an Audio Refinement which wiped up the floor with the C542, the Audio Refinement has since been replaced with my Apollo...follow.

Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 6
hard for me to believe too, I have a lot of affection for the AR.

I'll report back after the listen.

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 3
3rd Time Lucky!

After trying 2 new Rega Apollos that did not perform well, I received Apollo #3 about two weeks ago. I've played about 40 CDs and it's been perfect! No more "no disc", no more skipping. Hard to believe I got two separate clunkers, but I'm happy now that my faith in Rega is restored.

Note to Doug: Serial number is just shy of 43000.

Bronze Member
Username: Grinsatlake

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 21
Laurie: My Apollo is 42011 and I have more than 300 hours and not one glitch yet. I love this thing and couldn't dream of being without it. I finally have real "musicality" in my music!!! Enjoy.

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 9
That's great Laurie, glad to hear you finally have a properly working unit and won't have that nagging thought in the back of your head wondering when it will skip next. Mine has been going strong for a month now without a glitch -- peace of mind at last.

Username: Joe11ee

Post Number: 7
"enjoyed reading this ,thanks"

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Video_and_Animation_T ools/Fruit_iPhone_Ripper_Suite.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us