Dvd-A and SACD for my car

Username: Madhoop

Post Number: 1
I'm a newbie in this area and am looking for some advice. I have a harman-kardon receiver/(amp?) in my car with Logic-7. My old cd's sound better than my last factory made car stereo by far, but I'm intrigued with the multi-channel potential for my new system. I try and put a DVD-A and SACD cd in the unit and neither will play. Can anyone tell me if I need a different cd player or what? I believe I have the receiver/(amp?) to produce the multi-channel musis in my car... thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 570
marc:

to my knowledge, there are no DVD-A or SACD car players out there at this time. I frankly would not expect to see one for at least 5 years as I think it will take that long to see who will win the format war going on between DVD-A and SACD. All I can suggest is you get SACDs hybrids, which will play on regular CD players (but often sound a bit better than a straight CD), which will allow you to have multi-channel sound at home. I know the recent SACD of Pink floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" was a hybrid and I recently saw several new Mobile Fidelity SACD releases were also hybrids. For more info, go here: http://www.mofi.com/newreleases.htm

Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1106
On Dec 27 2004, on SACD or DVD-A - which way will the industry go, Gregory Stern wrote:

This year Acura and Honda are releasing DVD-A in their cars. You can count on the fact that the rest of the car companies will follow suit

Then there was some follow-up discussion. I posted an external link there on Dec 29.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 571
John A:

Umm, John, how could Greg have posted on December 27, 2004? It is only May 18th!

Seriously though, I missed that thread. However, I checked the Acura website and looked at the audio systems for all high end models and there is nothing said about DVD-A--just XM Radio, which is where the marketing push is right now. I would love to be wrong on this, but I know how auto companies operate and DVD-A does not yet appear as a blip on their radar. Strictly show car stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 185
As a vinyl fan, I would personally prefer to have one of these in my car:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Accessories/HiWay/invent.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
Hawk,

Thanks, though gritted teeth. A slip of the keyboard, just possibly the brain.

There is also the current thread US DVD/SACD Sales Figures for 2003

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 574
John A:

My kids refer to it as a "Senior Moment" when I do it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1125
Hawk,

That speaks of a good relationship. I sometimes get the decade wrong, too. Never the century. So far.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us