Cambridge Audio remote woes...any solutions?

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 38
OK so I've got the CA 640A v1 amp, and I love it, even though (and I knew this prior to buying it) the remote is pretty much junk. I'm not sure if it's the remote itself (which feels nice and looks good) or the receiver on the amp, but in any case, you can't just point it and turn the volume up. No, first you have to find the perfect sweet spot to aim at (mine is about 30 degrees to the left of the amp) and then keep hitting the buttons until it finally feels like doing something. My new DVD89 from CA, however works without a hitch.

From reading past posts and reviews, I don't think I'm alone with this problem. My question is, has anyone found any solutions? What about getting one of Cambridge's universal remotes? They've got one that (supposedly) comes ready to work any and all CA products, and then they've also got the fancy learning remote. Would that improve it? Or, what about getting one of those remote enhancers, that are designed to increase the range of your current remote. I'd rather not have to attach anything to my amp, so I'm hoping maybe the first solution would work...or are there any others?

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 247
take you unit to a dealer and have them use a remote, you would, at least be able to narrow it down the problem. Dumb question, but I'll ask anyway, have you checked the batteries?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6790
I'll go one better.
Is the transmitter lens nice and clean?

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 179
Another one, Is the infrared sensor nice and clean?

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 45
Yep, I checked the batteries and both transmitters, and everything appears OK. I've read posts/reviews from some other CA users who report the same thing.

I think today I'll try to take apart the remote and see what I can find. I'll let you know how it goes...

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 433
As a cambridge audio 540a owner (since January) I can confirm that I have this exact same issue. It's not such a problem because it works, you just have to find a certain angle. I think what the problem is, is the position of the infra red reciever on the amp-on v2 they've changed the position so its not hidden underneath the volume pot.

Beautiful sensational amp though. I paid pitence for .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us