Speaker matching

Username: Biga524

Post Number: 1
I have all infinity speakers. Im looking to get some new polk front speakers. How important is it to have all polks? can i keep my infinity center and rears?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10221

How picky are you about sound? Scale of one to ten?

Post Number: 3
probably 6-7

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 144
Having the same brand all around can be advantageous. Manufacturers like to use the phrase timbre matched, which basically means the sound is seamlees from speaker to speaker. This may or may not be the case when speakers of different brands are utilized. There is also the question of speaker efficiency. Older Infinities tended to be a little power hungry where Polks tend to require less power to reach a certain volume level. Significant mismatches can affect performance and impact on the quality of sound. If I were gong to mix and match, I would shoot to have the same speaker types across the front (left, center and right) and perhaps compromise on the rear where there is much less dialog and important information conveyed. Not knowing the models makes definitive answers difficult at best.

Post Number: 4
I dont have exact models for the center or rear..

rear- cu0500-58546
Center CC-1 or CC-2
Front rs4
Recvr- Sony STR-DE685

I wanted to get the polk RTi10 and a good reciever.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
I hesitate to offer thoughts on how any combination will sound to you. You may have to try it. I can tell you that the Polks you reference are very efficient and tend to be just slightly on the bright side. I would be a little concerned about their mesh with the Infinities. Just too many variables, especially since you are considering a new receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 568
If you are picky, timbre matching is important.

My advise to you is to pick what sounds good to YOU and ONLY YOU! You are the one that has to live with the speakers, not us.

Case in point:

I am a fan of MartinLogan speakers, but some on the board really don't care for them. Different strokes for different folks.

I buy equipment that sounds good to MY ears, even if some people may not care for it. That is the reason for diversity in the industry. One brand can't and won't satisfy every single ear that hears it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Gavin, that is great advice-a hell of a lot better than that from those posters who declare one speaker brand to be the ultimate and disparage others who disagree.

Post Number: 5
Ive decided to go with
Onkyo TX-SR804
Polk RTi10

my question is would there be a difference in polk center csi3 or csi5 ?? besides the price..thx

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 569
The csi5 is the better speaker if I remember correctly...

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
CSi3
Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 2 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)
Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance Cones with Rubber Surrounds
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
Silk/Polymer composite dome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 55Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 65Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-180 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB

Csi5
Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 2 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance Cones with Rubber Surrounds
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
Silk/Polymer composite dome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 45Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 55Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-200 w/channel
Efficiency 90 dB
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts

Csi5 will give you better definition and clarity. But how much depends greatly on your listening acuity. Hard call especially considering a $200 price difference. If money was not an issue, I'd go with the 5.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3540
Matching of the fronts is paramount for tonally matching which needs separate amplification an RTA and a SPL db metre it takes hours if not days to get done right.

Surrounds can made up of smaller types in groups that go around the room with 4 each sidewall and 4 on the back wall to truly look like home cinema that will surround you not to mention the ceiling the use of height surrounds is also thrilling, and you must use the same loudspeakers for the surround all, the fronts can be different.

Anyway you have to think like a home cinema user in this game it's a very dicey game to play.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us