HK AVR230 users ....... please help

Aviator
Unregistered guest
I was just setting up my AVR230 receiver and ran into this setup problem (5.1 setup). The choice from the menu goes like this-
-Input:
----Input : DVD
----Digital : Coaxial
-Surround:
----Dolby Surround: Dolby PLII, Dolby PL
----DTS
----Logic7
----etc.
As per the manual when I go to the surround setup menu I should be seeing "Dolby Digital" as one of the options under Dolby surround. I don't see this. Has anyone had this problem? Any solutions?
By the way although my DVD is now setup to Dolby PLII (due to this problem)it will change to "Dolby Digital" as soon as I play such a DVD, so this is not a show stopper. But the manual mentioned that when I set my delay settings it would be better to do it under the Dolby Digital settings and I'm unable to do this.
Thanks.

j. Vigne
Unregistered guest
If Dolby Digital is not an option from the source you are using (it can only be an option on a DVD or a HD television signal), the reciever will not cycle through that option. It's pretty smart that way.

Aviator
Unregistered guest
Thanks. In this case since I was feeding default settings for a DVD (Input) I should have seen that Dolby Digital option. Anyway I guess I was more worried due to the disparity between the manual and the receiver. When everything is new, you would expect things to be perfect.

But when I start playing a DVD it does override any default settings and goes to the Dolby Digital mode. I guess I will now try running it with a DVD in the DTS mode to confirm this.

Anonymous

The only way I have found to use the other formats iis if you have analog hooked up as well and switch to an analog connection. I have had only two DVD's offer any other format besides Dolby Digital when using a digital connection between the player and receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Maximo

Post Number: 18
j. Vigne,

"it can only be an option on a DVD or a HD television signal"

It does not have to be an HD signal. A digital signal from Directv or dish network can also produce a DD signal. There are not many of them but they do exist. It's not a particular station either; it depends on the program. Most of these programs will be on stations such as HBO or ppv.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us