Harman Kardon poor quality sounding amps/rece?

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 88
I have heard h/k on a number of occasions, whether stereo receivers,a/v receivers i didn't find their amps any good at all, like what it was 10-6yrs ago, driven by klipsch/infinity/energy/jbl and a couple of others as well... and sound was just flat,had no clarity/punch somewhat like a sony amp in general.. why is this so and most of their amps are assemble in china, parts from U.S coz of the labour, would that be probably one of reasons for poor quality sound, apart from the speaker contribution... what do ya'll guys think..
comments much appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 473
I think most people on this board tend to like HK, as tend to use superior quality parts, and rate their receivers honestly as compared to the likes of Sony. Whether you like their sonic signature, well thats up to you. I'm happy with them personally, although I certainly wouldn't mind if Mark Levinson donated a few items to me.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 112
Nice response, Stephen. First class all the way.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1722
Shane,

In fairness to H/K and a lot of other big box brands, its hard to give them a meaningful audition without taking them home. Best Buy and Circuit City don't have the proper rooms or equipment to do them any justice.

Circuit City is biulding some rooms again which can help a little, but they don't demo their gear with any quality stand alone CD players to fully appreciate their musical ability. Their's also no easy way to switch speakers to figure out whats doing what.

Thats one of many differences between a HiFi shop and a big box store.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 484
I find my H/K very nice, Allthought I do find minor cut backs ,but still over all one of the better quality makes.The sound, I use homemade speakers which sound pretty good well to me anyways, the sound of the amp is pretty nice they warm sounding amps , and the bass isnt too bad I find the punchy bass to be really good

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 104
Well personally......since all this does boil to out ears and opinions. I've owned my first piece of hk equipment and no complients thus far. Sonically it is what i paid for, and what I expected. Of course if i had spent 3 or 4 times the amount I would be getting a rotel or nad and the pleasure that goes with it. But compared with lets saw yammie denon pioneer sony and the likes it hold its own no doubt

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 485
I've got two yamaha MX-M70 monoblocks and I think they sound pretty good.(50/60 8/6ohms)117s/a-noise 0.004THD

THe avr-245 is my fist H/K , I"m pretty sure it was Kano that said the AVR-135/140/145/240/245 sound complety different to the 340/445/665/745 all of the upper modles sound better

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 152
sry im prob readin that wrong otherwise i wouldnt be confused....but your saying the 340s and up sound better in the upper middles, not the 245s right?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 486
I own the 245 too me it sounds good read this

"The 300 and 400 series have an upgraded chipset over the budget 100 and 200 models. This will give you better sound overall and worthy of mentioning." That what Kano said , you should realy be talking to him he knows more then me

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 71
I love the sound of my H/K, Ive been useing my 645 for awhile now and I have yet to complain about it, and I know I never will.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6797
Ever since I had the avr65 receiver, I have never doubted the amp sction of the unit.

That reveiver went head to head with the Rotel rb985 amp and aquitted itself quite well, thank you.
That was with the difficult to drive mains, a funky center, and rat runs for rears.
Good solid power output.

Dude, that was 10 yrs ago, the unit is still running great.
My son runs it at his house.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 526
I think I understand what you are saying Shane. I experienced sort of the same thing when I went from a Kenwood(junk,even Sovereign line) that would cough and gasp at a slightly difficult speaker and sounded what members here would classify as "very bright" with almost any speaker to my first HK receiver which at first did not seem "flat" but the higher frequencies seemed a little more "rolled off". In time I became quite fond of the HK sound that sound's more tube like-"warm". Judging from the sound of the better quality receiver type gear(HK,NAD,Rotel,B&K) this is what their design teams have sought to accomplish a "softer" solid state amplifier. With more and more listening and experience Shane you will come to appreciate this "smoother" solid state than the lesser big name brands that overemphasize the treble region and amp sections that just can't deliver. Sorry I don't mean to call you on this one and don't take offense but most people with some experience know that HK,although not quite in the same league as Rotel and B&K, is quite a cut above Sony in terms of amplifier build quality. Sony, although well known as an outstanding television maker, is not famous for it's home audio products. Except for a few and I do mean a few, ES line components(good but hardly exceptional-perhaps one of these is the amplifier you are talking about) over the past decade, Sony makes no audio component I care to even look at yet alone listen to. To their credit their proprietary DSP circuits are good but that's about it for their home audio quality. It's hard to imagine any receiver sounding flat with JBLs,particularly their speakers with hard metal tweeters. Lastly to Kenwood's credit their 70's stereo gear is good,at least I've heard because of it's very heavy duty construction.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6813
yep.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us